Best tyres for 2012/13 Speed Triple?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Screwball, Mar 22, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Right made the decision and have bought Dunlop Roadsmarts II.... Doing a fair bit of mileage later on in the year and have used Sportsmarts before so going with what i kinda know...
    Got 20% off so happy days..

• Like Like x 1
  2. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    I too have a great sense of direction but I just get lost all the time...
    The zumo 350 is the one id been reading up on...From the pics, the 350 looks good, how's the screen size?

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Yep no problem and slightly bigger than the Tomtom...

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Ok. RoadSmart II fitted... No miles on them yet but I'll post my feed back... Initial impressions they make the bike easier to turn.. Pirellis felt flat/ stable, took a bit of effort to turn in... they were very initial impressions and I only had them on the bike for 55 miles..
    Straight away the Dunlops made the bike feel lighter, easier to turn.. Possibly they have a sharper profile...

Only more miles will tell though........

I was told by the service department that a lad on a Daytona R with the same tyres as me came off after only 40 odd miles going around a corner... Semi slicks, cold roads and shiny tyres.... Not a good mix... 1 new Daytona R now looking decidedly second hand..

5. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I remember being in DK getting my Z1000 serviced when a bloke took his brand new ZX10 out - managed to make it to the 1st roundabout (about 200 yards) before doing the same thing. Mmmmm new bike = new tyres.

6. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    I seen a guy do that on a new Gixer at motorcycle world coleshill, right outside the entrance!!! Not good!

7. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Looked at the OE Metzler Race tec rear on my bike at the weekend and it's just about down to the wear bar at 1500 miles and Badly squared off:eek: They would not have lasted 1 big European trip (did 2500 around the Alps last year)

PR 3's being fitted soon

• Like Like x 2
  8. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Rich, I did the Austria run on a set of the Racetech k3s, OMG hobbled home on a slick !!! The tyres def can not cope with 2k + miles!!! 2k miles on my P3s and still nowhere near the tread markers or squared!! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Yes I had P3s on my Multistrada round the Alps and they looked fine when I got home; they are great tyres, never felt like they would ever let go and I did wear the toe sliders down on my boots :biggrin:

Think the P3's are good for 5000 miles on a rear even with a fat boy like me on board......... makes them decent value for money

• Like Like x 1
  10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Pirelli Corsa's took a hammering on a tour as well...
    limped home taking it easy on these bad boys... 3000 miles though..
    tyre.jpg

tyre.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Oh look - the canvas has its own tread pattern!

• Like Like x 1
  12. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Now that's one Ragged Rubber:eek:

13. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    It's called getting your money's worth...
    I don't recommend it though, bike handled like shit on the way home....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Had PR3's fitted now to the Speedy, Mrs had a set fitted to her Street in preparation for our Scotland tour next month. Paid £270 and £250 for pairs fitted to both bikes at Wheel House Tyres Birmingham; how's that compare to what everyone else is paying?
    They gave us 2 x £25 vouchers for fuel cards for having Michelin fitted, and both bikes done half an hour after arrival.

Only done about 70 miles on them but they give a good reassuring feeling when cornering, hard to explain any better.

15. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    I paid about the same Rich for P3s, I love them... I've about 2k on mine and still no where near the wear indicators.... They haven't broke away from me yet dry or wet... Awesome

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jasesapphy

Jasesapphy Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I fancy power 3s next, meant to be very very good, dual compound lots of grip in dry and wet

17. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    My mates just put the new Angel GTs on his street triple.... Ill keep you posted

18. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I pay £250 for a pair of Pilot Road 3s fitted - ride in, ride out. Jase, be careful with the Power 3s in the wet - awesome grip in the dry once warm. Expect four or five miles before replacing the rear! :smile:

19. Jasesapphy

Jasesapphy Member

Apr 30, 2013
    What milage will I see on the rear, will they do 5K?