Best tyres for 2012/13 Speed Triple?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Screwball, Mar 22, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    So what does everyone think are the best hoops for the Speed?
    The standard Pirelli Super Corsa SP tyres are great for the track but I'm not going there.....
    I'm looking to change mine out ASAP.... Was thinking about Dunlop Sportsmart as had them on Superduke and liked them....
    I am however aware that some tyres can alter the way a bike feels and handles... Does anyone have experience of the dunlops on a speed or similar?
    Or what are the other options...?
    I'm planning on some long trips abroad, So need a sports tyre which will last more than 2000 miles.....
    I can cope with it Squaring off so long as it is fairly sticky...

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I am going with Michelin Pilot Road 3, they were great on my Multistrada 1200 did over 5000 miles on a rear, great in the wet, duel compound.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Yeah my mate who runs a tour company uses them...I have heard good things and they are apparently great in the wet..

4. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Mine came new with Metzler K5s
    Brilliant on dry warm Tarmac, very skittish in the wet, and lost there heat v quick, would be suited to weekend track rider.
    2k per rear and 100 a pop!! Now running Pilot road 3's
    All I can say is wow!! I'm no hardcore racer wannabe but I can't feel any loss in the dry warm running at all, in the wet they are fenominal... I have never felt confident in the wet, but with these p3's I wouldn't know of it was raining or bone dry!!
    I won't run anything else now. I love the aggresive tread pattern, suits the look of the street fighter.
    The K5 rear wore so quick in the summer, you ended up with square shoulders if on the motorway for sixty miles.. First bend after and the bike would drop quick as you rolled on to the edges... The density mix on the P3 is bang on... And turns soo much better...
    But that's just me...:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  5. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    To me Metzelers verge on dangerous in the wet, they let go without any warning. I loath them! There are people out there who rate 'em, but I've read quite a few reports about their appalling performance once it gets a bit damp. I've got them as oe on my America & can't wear them out, 6.5K miles up there's virtually no wear!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Looks like the Metezlers are off the shopping list... You need confidence in your rubber or you'll just wobble about when it's cold & wet...Pilot 3s could be an option... I'm going to sell the Pirelli's which will hopefully fund the new tyres......

• Like Like x 2
  7. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Bridgestones or michelins are the preferred options for me, but there's not so much choice on a cruiser, people seem to like Avons-which I always had back in the 70's :rolleyes:

8. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    OK, so mine's an '07 but I love the Pilot Road 3s. I'm a fairly high mileage rider and also love the twisties and the tyres seem to be an excellent combination of grip (both wet and dry) and longevity. If they're as good on the new SIII as they are on the older one I would recommend them all day long. (No 'chicken strips' at all on the rear and only a teeny-weeny baby one on the front shows my confidence in them?) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    BryBrem i like the sound of them... you sound like my type of rider so they are working there way to he top of my list....i love the twisties and have 3 trips planned this year so need to get some mileage and grip out of the tyres....

• Like Like x 2
  10. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Whilst my Metzler Racetech 5's had no chicken strips on rear but some on front, I've noticed my p3's have about an inch each side on rear but less on front than the Metzler front had??? How's that work?? The rear I put down to the fact I had them fitted at the end of the year and hence haven't given them a full push yet, but you don't have to ride them hard like the metzlers... Hmm I'm sure someone will know why this is...

• Like Like x 2
  11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    #11 brybrem, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    My personal belief is that the chicken strip thing has quite a bit to do with the profile of the tyre - my bike came with Pilot Powers on (excellent boots if money and time in the tyre fitters is no problem). I bought the SIII from Triumphworld in Chesterfield and just bimbling home that first trip the strips had gone - I think due to their flatter profile! However as a fairly high mileage rider they had to go. The Road 3s seem to be more rounded and take a bit more aggression to remove the strips - but I love a challenge!

Screwball, talk to me about big trips. I'm a great believer in buying a bike for what you like best and do most (in our case the twisties) and just make it do the other stuff (touring etc - lets be honest why buy a tourer for a couple of weeks a year).The SIII surprised me in being a really comfortable tourer (pillion discounted). I know it's no world record but when I did 'The Four Corners' for MacMillan I did 1069 miles in a day and was fine. At least with the SIII you can go all the way to places like The Alps in comfort and twat the bejasus out of your mates on 'Busas etc. when you get there! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    1069miles in a day... Far more than I'm ever going to do... I used to tour on my Superduke for that reason... Struggle on Motorways and them let her rip on the A & B roads... Or D in France!!!!
    Got a mini Alpine tour later this year 16 alpine passes including the Stevano pass( If I have spelt it right)...
    Me and my mates do a black forrest tour in September which we organise but I do also use tour companies...
    I can't wait to get out and use the S3.... Got Snow this morning so its not going to be this week....

• Like Like x 2
  13. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    I feel a new threads coming... Standby by... Will be in the rideouts folder...
    And screwball you spelt it wrong lol
    Brybem, 1069 wtf were you using performance enhancing drugs??? Jees man that is some going in a day....

14. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Yep i was going to add one myself.... 1069.. I'll be surprised if he could walk after that....

15. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    To be honest we were fine. There were three of us on the charity ride - my other two mates were on Blackbirds (the pussies!). We set off from Land's End at 4:00am, called in at Avimore to book into a hotel, then up to JoG and back to the hotel at Avomore. I'm only a skinny firker so I suppose I don't have too much weight on my arse. I'm going to Italy again myself this year and the plan is to go via the Black Forest. What we tend to do is book a place for a couple of weeks and the blokes ride out and the women fly. That way we can carry so much more luggage, we can play a bit more on route and the women don't get bored/sore and we don't get nagged at! we've booked a place in Verbania on the North side of Lake Maggiore - just into Italy from Switzerland. Fantastic roads down there.

The two pictures here were taken, as you can see, on the same day - one in Land's End and the second in JoG. Actually thinking about it, we did 1,159 miles that day - the 69 stuck in my head as the bike seized on that trip at 3,069 miles!

4 Corners 080.jpg 4 Corners 100.jpg

4 Corners 080.jpg

4 Corners 100.jpg

16. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Have a little look at my thread 'Favourite Roads' in the lounge area - the picture is The Grimsel Pass near to where we're going this year. Screwball, if you can, I suggest going up the East side of the Stelvio and down the West (if you're only doing it once :smile:). The East side is tighter and more technically challenging, the west is just miles and miles of beautifal Tarmac. The first pick here is the West and the second, the East.

CIMG0549.jpg CIMG0551.jpg

CIMG0549.jpg

CIMG0551.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Im going out with a tour company.. i think there are about 10 of us going.. plus whoever else turns up... Should be a good laugh as i know the tour company and most of the people going... route is set but we do the Vosges as well.... Hopefully i will have some photos like yours soon......

• Like Like x 2
  18. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Screwball, what made you go for the 350 over using a smart phone mate??

19. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    A few things... I have the iPhone and the sat nav is not as good as my Tomtom...
    It's a good phone has lots of apps but it tries too hard to be too many things...
    Believer in buying the right tool for the right job...
    A dedicated satnav will always be better (or should be) than a multifunction device.
    I used my car Tomtom last year in a case and could not see it very well.
    That and you can create routes using Tyre and Garmin which is a nice feature...
    The 350 I chose because its the right price and had lifetime map updates... Getting fed up of paying for my Tomtom which I use for work....
    They are my thoughts anyway

• Like Like x 1
  20. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I'm not a great lover of chav-navs, preferring maps. I'm lucky to be blessed with a really good sense of direction and feel that gizmos like this can be a bit distracting. When a load of us were in France a couple of years back we found that my SOD was actually more accurate than the said chav-nav and we all started believing in the Bry-Bry over the Tom-Tom. :smile:

• Like Like x 2