Best tours round Ireland

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Pepe5, Feb 4, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pepe5

Pepe5 New Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Scotland
    Hi all,

I'm new to forums so please excuse any mistakes I make in posting.
    I have a Bonneville America and am interested in touring Ireland so would appreciate any help / advice on best places to go.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Pepe and first of all let me welcome you to the Triumph Forum.

When my wife and I did a tour of southern Ireland this was our trip :

We crossed over from Fishguard to Rosslare.

We then followed the south coast visiting places like Waterford, Dungarvan, staying at Cork 2 nights.

Then onto Kinsale, Clonakilty, Skibbereen, and stopping at Kenmare 2nights.

From there to Killarney, Dingle & Tralee. Followed by Listowel, Ballybunion and Limerick.

The return trip was made via Thurles, Kilkenny, New Ross and Wexford.

It was a wonderful trip :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Do you know what? Never even thought about Ireland. It sounds like I need to do it too.

4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Ireland is perfect for bike tours as it has so many contrasts. Cork is great for nights out; the sw coast is beautiful and wild; the Ring of Kerry is riding heaven.

And when I was there, there were no silly speed restrictions or cameras. Cheap, plentyful BnB's too.

5. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Were you up Kerry's ring

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I'll second that HT.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Some Irish roads do leave a lot to be desired - 'bumpy' doesn't begin to cover it!:eek: However, it is over 3 years since I graced them with my (and my 44 tonner's) presence so things may have improved. I do hope so 'cos it's a beautiful country and well worth visiting.:)
    Incidentally, if you use the Cairnryan-Belfast route then you are less than a 3 hour ride to Dublin if that is important to you. As an example, I could leave Dublin at around 06.00hrs off the ferry (P&O), call for diesel and a complimentary coffee:) and sausage sandwich:):) at Ardee (and stop in town to consume them:):):)), run up to Lisburn or Craigavon to unload, and then trundle over to Belfast docks for around 11.00 hrs to get the ferry back to Cairnryan (Stena Line). An easy run that is mostly motorway and dual carriageway, so if you are closer to SW Scotland that may be the way to go. Or you may prefer to go to Larne and around the coast road (A2:cool:) towards Portstewart and the Giant's Causeway (biker's heaven, but we were in the car!!:().

Sorry to have hijacked you thread a bit, Pepe5:oops:, but welcome anyway!:)

8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Welcome. Nice choice in the bike ;)

Was going to do Ireland a couple of years ago, but too many dropped out and never happened, hope to get over some time soon and do a tour around the emerald Isle.

You make it to moffat on the 9th of April? Having a bit of a forum meet.

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Oh no!!

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Friendly banter here as you can see from Tigcraft's childish "Kerry's ring" comment. It's not big and it's not clever - mind you I was up Figsbury Ring the other day with a fair amount of turbulence around my helmet.

• Like Like x 2
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    [​IMG]

12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    FANTASTIC RESPONSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Think you've managed to scare him off !!!!! One post he made, total derail and talking about rings & helmets !!!! 12 posts and he's scared away, gone, never to return :(:(:(

;)

14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Is that cos ur helmets too small or maybe too big on the other end of the scale????

Anyway sorry pepe5, its gets as mental here as dropping a match into petrol!!

15. Pepe5

Pepe5 New Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Scotland
    Thanks for all your comments. I'll check out the route that the big lad has put on and hopefully get a good run put together.

16. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    thank god there were no cameras if biglad was doing the ring

• Like Like x 2
  17. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Sorry pepe5 for got to welcome you in to forum but after seeing these comments you may be thinking is this a bike forum or forum for crazy people answer is its for both.:)

18. Pepe5

Pepe5 New Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Scotland
    Ha, From the above posts I have realised that a good bit of banter goes on as well.
    I think for my trip I will start from the ferry at Larne and head along to Giants Causeway then round to Donegal following the coast as much as possible.
    Not a particularly long trip but good enough for a 1st.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    When are you fancying going out of interest?

20. lucas60

lucas60 Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Eat Ayrshire Scotland
    A very good welcome pepe5. It seems more and more of the scottish contigent are showing up, be nice if we can get together at Moffat on the 9th April. We where going to do a trip around Ireland for a couple of weeks this yr but put it of as my mates fancied going t the black forest instead. Where in scotand do you hail from mate? Regards Lou

• Like Like x 1