Best Motorcycle Cleaners

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Carl556, Feb 17, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Must admit, mine sounds like a jet turbine when it’s working. Its very loud.
    Ken.

2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Washing up liquid, I can't believe people still use the stuff for washing cars/motorbikes, the stuff has a high salt content, one guy in my village actually used "oven cleaner" on his chrome engine casings, he said "well it made the chrome oven grills shine like new" so I thought it would work on my bike, it did he now has black engine casings, although he doesn't like the new look evidently.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    1837BF86-9755-4EC5-AD9C-6F28B9E6C94B.png
    Here ya go, Iceman,
    Cheers,Ken.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Ken, I posted this previously along with a number of other forum members.
    Rust vs Corrosion
    Most metals want to corrode back to some form of ore. (Gold is one notable exception.) Corrosion starts with oxidation, where atoms of metal link up with oxygen, followed by a gradual, or not so gradual, breakdown. Rusting is a specialized form of corrosion that only iron and steel go through.

Rust is when the iron oxidizes and flakes off. It’s accelerated by moisture. Flaking exposes fresh metal beneath, which in turn oxidizes and flakes.

Aluminium oxidation happens faster than that of steel, because aluminium has a really strong affinity for oxygen. Rather than flaking though, aluminium oxide just forms a hard, whitish-coloured surface skin. When all the aluminium atoms have bonded with oxygen the oxidation process stops.

Aluminium Corrosion
    Scratching this oxide skin exposes bare metal, and the process begins again. It won’t eat the metal away though, except under two conditions. First, if chlorides or sulphides are around they’ll attack the aluminium oxide layer.

Chlorides are compounds of chlorine. Sodium chloride would be an example, which is the chemical name for salt. And where do you find lots of salt? In the ocean. Likewise, sulphides are sulphur compounds. They’re prevalent in areas of polluted air.

Second, if conditions are right you could experience galvanic corrosion. this is an electrical effect experienced when dissimilar metals are brought close together in a conducting liquid. For example, immerse brass and aluminium in seawater and electrons move from the aluminium to the brass. This can be a problem in boats where brass fittings are close to or even in contact with aluminium. (Fuel tanks are a prime example.)

Preventing Aluminium Corrosion
    You can’t do much about aluminium oxidation, and unless appearance matters, it’s not a big problem. Aluminium corrosion could however be a serious issue. If there’s any possibility of it happening you have two options: Apply a protective coating and minimize or mitigate the effect of galvanic corrosion.

These are some of the cleaning and protective products I use, although I do have more. Anyone wash there pride and joy with Fairy

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I'm wary of any chemicals on my bikes, even some bike cleaning products are very harsh. I think the key is a very thorough rinse after any wash no matter what you use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    after a wash give a fine spray of scottoiler fs365 then when you ride again even if it’s dirty another fine spray,next time you think it’s wash time just hose bike all the grime just rinsed off no effort

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    So, Iceman,
    Do you disagree with the article I posted #25?
    As I said in post #15, I use Fairy liquid, and then throw the empties in recycle bin.
    Cheers,Ken.

8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Ken, you ask if I disagree with the article, for me personally what I am saying is I have paid £21,000 on 2 new bikes in the past 18 months, having now owned 80 motorbikes, should have been 81 a few days ago but that story can wait a short while longer, therefore I won't use washing up liquid, I like to look after my machines with what works for me, good luck to those that do use fairy liquid or similar, the main issue is whatever one uses to clean a motorcycle, washing it straight away with clean water will remove most of the damaging chemicals in a product, also drying is equally essential, a lot of forum members use power dryers, as do I and have done so for years. At the end of the day it is an individual choice, if you are happy using washing up liquid on you machine I certainly wouldn't criticise you choice. If a person comes back from a ride out and the machine needs a clean, if no anti corrosion treatment has been applied, then wash it with washing up liquid leave it, come back in a few days and see what has taken place. Chain cleaning is another divisive issue, try using washing up liquid cleaning that, it's not as daft as you may think, people still do it, some swear by petrol, although most know it's great for destroying O Rings, but others think it is ok.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I use mr sheen on the Crome covers but have a lot of cleaning gear I only dry wash , dont want the triumph to rust

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I tried this it is good on the Deauville being mostly plastic .but dont believe what it says on the can, the Deauville is still 2006 it didn't turn into anew bike

IMG_3925.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    Have had a Bruhl blower for a few years and it has been alright but the on /off button has broken. Just dismantled it and the switch is a toggle type with four terminals with 2 in and 2 out, not sure if I can get a replacement. Have d Spoken to Bruhl but the tech bod is furloughed for the time being. If I can’t get a switch has any of you who bought a ‘ Chinese’ alternatives got any views please?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    rs components will probably have what you need.
    Or, take some measurements and get on google!
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/swit...ies/toggle-switches/?searchTerm=toggle switch
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/switches/rocker-switches-accessories/rocker-switches/?searchTerm=4 pole switch

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts