675 Beginner?

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by ridingSK, Jun 21, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ridingSK

ridingSK New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I need some advice, I can’t make a decision. I start riding in March 17,2013 on a YBR 125 done about 2000 miles ( 3218 km ) so far to work and out riding on my own in country road practising corners. and recently, I took a few lessons on the Kawasaki ER 5 500cc, I feel very comfortable, the different is day and night, the ER 5 is so smooth and very easy to ride, though I did drop it twice, because I hasn’t get used of the bike. Then it was fine on the 2nd and the 3rd lessons. My instructor thinks that I have good riding standard compare to my riding period.

But, I have my eyes on the Triumph street triple 675. But a few of my friends think that the triumph street triple is too powerful for me as beginner. Some, think that is really depend on how far you twist the throttle.

I just wondering what is it mean by too powerful to handle? or too powerful for beginner ?

Am only 5’3 female and weight 52kg (8 stones), I wasn;t really understand the power, hence am bit hesitate to get the triumph street triple.

Need your opinion on street triple experience

2. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Hi and welcome to the site.

I've always said to people that you can make any bike a weapon be it a 125 or a 1000cc. At the end of the day it all depends on how responsible you are and how much you value your own life. If your stupid a reckless then motorcycles aren't for you however if your sensible respect the machine and your surroundings then you can ride anything. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Hi Riding SK welcome to the forum,i do not have a street triple but i will give you my feeling on your issue ,i have been riding for to many years to mention and when i first started riding my late father insisted that i started on a smaller bike to get used to handling situations that occur in day-to day riding ,i believe that the street triple is a swift bike and as you have only been riding since March it would be better for you to get used to a slighly bigger first and build your confidence up then up to the speed triple, but the bottom line is that it is your own choice and if you do go to the speed triple then take care and get used to the bike . :upyeah:

4. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    You should get the bike you want, life's too short to regret buying the wrong bike. It will only go as fast as you want so just don't twist the throttle as much and enjoy it! I don't ride my daytona 600 to its limit I take it to where I feel comfortable, you will progress at your own rate. If you by a bike you don't really want you won't enjoy it as much.

Just ride safe

5. Welcome RidingSK!
    Have to agree with ConquestCarbon - all down to maturity - you don't need a powerful bike to get yourself hurt - a moped will do it if you start taking chances!
    If you can physically manage the bike and are confident that you're not going to be tempted to start taking chances or wanting to 'show off' I wouldn't see a problem.
    Maybe try and get an 'honest' opinion on your 'maturity level' from someone who knows you well! (Excuse me - do you think I'm an idiot? And (one for the PC brigade :biggrin:) the fact that you're a girl probably makes it more likely you're not!)

• Like Like x 2
  6. ridingSK

ridingSK New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Thanks for all the reply. I properly should made clear that I have just passed my 125 light category A1. I ride to work in glasgow city centre where traffic is quite busy. The initial plan is to keep 125 for a year be sensible. So I passed A1 test I took the 125 to motorway. Then that I realise 125 is actually quite dangerous, the wind was blowing from side to side, the suction when the big truck passing you. Is the first time I feel am really unsafe on the bike.

Hence I went back to the riding school get a couple of lesson on er 500 prepare myself for a DAS My instructor think I can handle a suzuki Gladius no problem. But I fell in love with the street triple. My instructor never ride a street triple. Hence she can't comment on the street triple. Hence, I try to find out more about street triple.

Chrispy mention street triple is a verySwift and unforgiving, what's that really mean?? I thought as long as controlling the throttle sensible then it would be ok? i also hear lot of biker saying too powerful to handle. i never really experience that, hence am bit hesitates. So sorry for all the silly question, the fact is I can't test drive a street triple unless I have 2 years of A license doesn't really help me to made a decision :-/

7. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    #7 Richard H, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    My wife has a Street Triple as her first bike after passing her test. She rode a KTM Duke 125 for a while then did DAS on her instructors bike. She too could not get a test ride on a Street Triple but I rode it and in my opinion it is an ideal first bike if you are not so tall.
    Its not intimidating unless you open the throttle all the way and go into the top half of the rev range. The most important thing for my wife was that the Street is a light bike, easy to manoeuvre at low speed, seat is not too high, engine is lovely and smooth, it looks great and it's a bike you will not get bored of.
    If you click on my profile you will see plenty of pics and info, if you have any questions I am happy to ask my better half and reply, but after a year and a half with her Street Triple she has no regrets and has clocked up 5000 trouble free miles

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    Welcome to the forum.
    I think you need to look at your riding, if you think your flying around on a 125, then the chances are you WILL fly on a street.
    Be a bit critical of yourself, do you feel safe? Do you feel confident? Are you ready for something bigger?? How often are you surprised on the road? Ultimatly its all down to you, only you know.
    You need to be confident with the throttle, but understand the extra power can surprise you.
    I do agree with spanky, get the bike you want.
    Its easier to take the time to learn on a bike you like, rather than on a bike you cant wait to get off.
    Take it easy and be safe :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Explorer

Explorer Member

May 31, 2013
    I would ditto what Richard H says, as a first bike after passing your test you will be fine on a street triple, very easy to ride and not intimidating.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Yep agree with Richard. I had a street triple and its a great all round bike.. it can be lowered easily to suit your height (you dealer can do that & its not expensive) My mate was 5ft 2 1/2 (apparently the half makes all the difference) and he lowered it and loved it..
    It will do everything you want or need and is easy to ride as it has a very good throttle so slow speed manoeuvrability is good.
    It is fairly light as well and i don't think you need to worry... the Suzuki Gladius is also a great learner bike BUT it cant hold a candle to the Street.............

• Like Like x 2
  11. ridingSK

ridingSK New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    #11 ridingSK, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Thank you all, for giving me confident. Much appreciated.

Am not a big fan of speed, i usually stick to the speed limit, the thing that I enjoy it THE MOST in my wee 125cc is learning to control the bike when doing corners, quite often I find myself smiling after doing a good corner, planning, change to low gear, adjust speed, position, then out the corner.

I have so much to learn, reading the road. Corners corners corners.

And the most important thing, is I kind of fell into with the street triple, and frankly some of my female biker disagree about me jumping from a 125 to the street, but some do agreed, hence thats the concern.

12. BetaAlpha

BetaAlpha Banned

Jun 15, 2013
    Leicestershire
    Just out of interest, how long have you been riding your 125cc bike?

13. ridingSK

ridingSK New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Training on school bike Since feb, then regular daily march 2013 done 2000 miles to work in city central and wee run on my own :) why? Is that bad?

14. ridingSK

ridingSK New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Yay, I passed my Mod 1 at 600 suzuki bandit !! The school kindly lower the bandit for me so my short wee legs can reach !! Am been training with the bandit for few week now, am totally comfortable with it. I have been very gentle with the throttle. It feel amazing when for once I can overtake without sweating myself ( tried it with 125 ).
    I kind of / maybe get what they meant by the bike is too powerful. In the bandit, when I take a sharp turn or corner, the bike swing a big wider. My instructor said I have to try to use the biting point when take the corner. And it works, got the bike under control.
    Am really comfortable with the suzuki bandit.
    Now the question is, the triumph street triple would it feels any different compare to the suzuki bandit? If I can ride well with bandit does it means I can ride street triple ?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    If you like the handling of the Bandit then you will LOVE the Street, 10x better and it will also give you more confidence.

16. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    congrats on passing the Mod 1 ,go for it..... but just take care till you get used to handling the machine and you will be fine :upyeah: ,unfortunatly there are a lot of 4 wheels idiots out there

17. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Street will be easier to handle as lighter and just plain better..get it set for your night and go and enjoy.. And congrats on passing your A1