Beeline Moto Satnav

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by meepmeep, Mar 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I'm considering one of these for my upcoming Lands End to John O'Groats rally in September. Be interesting to know what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    You probably know this but you can use the app without the display first to see if you like it. I was going to buy one but after using on iPhone decided it was not for me

I like Calimoto best not only can I decide the kind of ride per waypoint it finds some cracking twisty roads.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. GmanJeff

GmanJeff Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Virginia, USA
    I did exactly this. Experimented by creating a route in Calimoto on my PC where I could see the map better than on the small screen of my phone, and then exported the route to the Beeline app, where it appeared and apparently was ready to be linked to the hardware display if I had one. No cost involved and a good way to see if working with the Beeline app suits you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just one word of warning mate - because they are small and unobtrusive on the bike, it's very easy to walk off and leave it attached.
    Not that I have been stupid enough to do this twice of course! :D:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Now thats smart, didn’t think of doing it that way

• Like Like x 1
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I think I may get one at some point, after riding at the weekend in the wind and not being able to hear voice navigation I have come to the conclusion that voice guidance is pointless and a simple clear visual guide would be the best option. Plus I like to explore just heading in the general direction of a destination, and the Beeline has this as a feature.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Beeline import GPX broken, it adds a waypoint thousands of miles out in the ocean, I've reported it to Beeline support

• Like Like x 1
  8. GmanJeff

GmanJeff Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Virginia, USA
    Mine arrived from the U.K. a couple of days ago and I was able to try it out this morning, admittedly on a route I am already familiar with. It works as advertised, and looks really good on the bike - very unobtrusive. I ride a T120 and the optional handlebar mount fits nicely next to the dog-bone clamp in the center of the handlebars. I had worried it might not be level, if the mount had to fit on the curved part of the handlebar, but that fear was unfounded. Time will tell, but my initial impression is positive.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    I bought one a few days ago and can attest to it's accuracy by having directed without fault to a recent meet a distance of six miles or so. Having bought it, I think it is great. Undertook a 170 miler a few weeks ago and my route was committed to memory - but that became an issue when my way was blocked in a rural area by a tree which had fallen on a lorry. Used intuition but would have been nice to have had the Beeline to back up the hunch.

• Like Like x 5
  10. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    I really want to get one of these only thing putting me off is I am longsighted and dont know how easy it will be to see it

11. Trevor Austin

Trevor Austin Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Northumberland
    A simple test would be to install the Beeline app on your phone and then place it where you intend to sight your gadget. If you see the guidance (ie. Beeline display, not map) then you’ll be OK. The size of both presentations is very similar.

• Like Like x 1
  12. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    A review from The Missenden Flyer here:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Does this constantly use phone data whilst in use? Can anyone confirm please? Thanks.

14. Trevor Austin

Trevor Austin Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Northumberland
    It does use some data, but very little and even then only when it reforms a reroute. Overall data usage is required but minimal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Thanks, so I guess it uses data when you initially calculate the route before you set off, and then when it needs to reroute. Otherwise it just mirrors the route from your phone via Bluetooth to the device without a continuous drain on data?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    #36 Tigcraft, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Just watched the review and I think it’s a lot of money for just an add on to a phone. Bit more dosh and you can buy a bike sat nav do you not think?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I've just ordered one of these, and they are offering a 10% discount to anyone I refer. So if you are also thinking of buying one then use this link http://ridebeeline.refr.cc/martinb and you should get 10% off and I get a free accessory :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    Thanks Martin, I've just ordered one using your link so enjoy your free accessory!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    :) Great thanks, did you get the discount?

20. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    yep...£14.90 which appealed greatly to my inner yorkshireman......:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1