Featured Be Strong Repooh

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Repooh, Nov 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kenbro

Kenbro Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    He could visit to preach the Gospel of HD! ;)
    Ken.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    He could try...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. half ton

half ton Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 18, 2013
    uk
    I have only owned one Harley,It was a '96 FXDL (1340 Evo... the best engine they ever made),I rode it all over the UK and it never missed a beat,I got my service items online and never spent a penny in a HD dealership,Put a Mikuni HSR carb on her and a decent exhaust and she would stay with the Twinkies the other guys had...a truly lovely bike but too heavy to get in and out of my shed,and was never made to corner fast (which I love doing)...So one hernia later i downsized to my Bonnie which I also love,But I still miss the comfort and relaxed cruising on my Dyna.

All bikes are special to someone somewhere and I don't knock em for their choices, Feck me I have owned some bikes that would try your patience and they still bring a smile to my face, it's all part of my journey through life on 2 wheels...

Love you all (in a blokey way:cold_sweat:) even the grumpy feckers :eyes:

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Winglad

Winglad The Ungerman
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2016
    Germany
    We love you too!
    Totally blokey, of course!
    :yum

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What is this a blokey love in or what ❤️

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    i bought a 2018 114 breakout on the looks ,it was up for sale within 2 months
    200 miles ,

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Repooh

Repooh Sometimes, Later Becomes Never.....
    Subscriber

Jan 5, 2018
    Ruislip
    I’ve not heard anyone say anything good about the Breakout other than its a good looker

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    it is a very nice looking bike ,but thats about it unfortunately

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    #49 Cyborgbot, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    I think you should all go to SpecSavers...

Me too probably as I have a Tiger 800! Uglier things have been seen, but not by reliable witnesses*

Edit: *I stole that joke from Douglas Adams RIP (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy).

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Senior Member

Apr 26, 2019
    8 time zones WEST
    I wonder how one of those would fair out.here in the Mojave Desert. Last year I recorded a high temp. of 117°f. on my weather station. It was snowing earlier this week. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst I came into the world screaming & covered in blood
    Subscriber

They have a hard time in normal weather.
    Out there it would melt down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T.

Sandi T. It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I live in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona and have ridden both of my Harleys and my Triumph Speed Triple during the summer in 110ºF + temperatures. All three performed like champs with no problems whatsoever. About the coldest weather I've ridden my bikes in is in the 20'sºF. That's not because of the bikes--that's because of me. I'm not riding if it's any colder than that! :p

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Ok Sandi you are another very proud parent of an HD, that being said just take one look at that air cooled rear cylinder of your v twin and ask yourself how the hell does the engine cooling fins get any direct cool airflow to keep it from being overheated. It can't. The rear cylinder will fail first. The motor design is very limited to power and only short bursts. The brakes and suspension are substandard. Old hot rod saying is if it don't run chrome it. Or make it noisy. Or do both.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Wire-Wheels

Apr 26, 2019
    8 time zones WEST
    I spent too many years in engineering to waste my money on that stuff. Too heavy. Too slow. Too crude. Not to mention over priced. I refuse to support a company that refuses to build any better than that. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #55 Sandi T., Dec 3, 2019 at 4:36 AM
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 6:44 AM
    Well, phred, I can only speak for myself--so I will. I have no illusions that I will change anyone's perspective or opinion nor do I really wish to. But I am going to describe my own honest-to-goodness experience with my Harleys.

In the 75,000 miles I've put on the Harleys I've previously owned or currently own I've never one time had a bike overheat, a cylinder fail, my brakes not stop me, limited power, or suspension issues. Well, I'll back off on that last one. I've had suspension "issues" on all my bikes--Triumphs included--because I'm so light that consequently my suspension winds up functionally being too stiff often still at full adjustment capacity. Bikes just do not come out off the factory designed for riders who weigh 115 pounds, that's for darned sure. But that's another topic and one for the "Rant of the Day" thread.

I've owned a 96ci Twin Cam, a 103ci Twin Cam, and a 110ci Twin cam. I currently own a 2017 Dyna Low Rider S with a 110ci Twin Cam and a Road Glide Special with a Milwaukee Eight 107ci with a Stage IV upgrade taking it to 114ci. Each of them has been absolutely terrific and pretty much flawless. Again, this has been my experience and I am not speaking for anyone or everyone else.

I've run each of those bikes hard in temps from the 20ºF to 115ºF and from 1000 ft to 10,000-11,000 ft elevations. I ridden them through pouring rain and wind and dust. Heck, I've even rode my Road King through a fire in the mountains. Well, the fire was nearly out but there were large still-burning downed tree trunks right next to the road! I've done 350-500 mile days on all but my original 96ci Street Bob (my first bike and I hadn't started doing trips yet) and my current 110ci Low Rider S (I do longer rides on my more comfy Road Glide). Through all of this my bikes never missed a beat.

There ya have it. To be sure, I am an N of 1. Well, maybe an N of 1 x 5. Perhaps my Harleys have done well because to date I've not owned one past 20K miles. Not because anything was wrong with them but because I test rode something I decided I'd rather have or my riding needs or tastes changed. But I've not experienced any of the issues you listed in your post. Well, other than that dang suspension being designed for people who weigh 170 pounds +/-!!

Interestingly, my least favorite engine out of all my bikes has been the 865ci parallel twin in my first Triumph, a 2012 Thruxton. I traded up to a 2016 Thruxton R and loved that 1200ci hp parallel twin. And now I love the inline triple in my Speed Triple RS even more. None of my Triumphs ever missed a beat either. Well, except for the quick shifter on my RS. Again, that's a topic for another thread in the Speed Triple forum.

And perhaps most importantly, my Harleys and Triumphs have never gotten into an argument with each other out in the garage. ;)

• Like Like x 10
  16. Wire-Wheels

Apr 26, 2019
    8 time zones WEST
    I think she typed in the wrong site. ...J.D.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep, J.D., I must have. ;) ...Sandi

IMG_4244.jpeg

2016 Thruxton R 2 copy.jpeg

12 Thrux on Lemmon copy.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  18. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Very glad to hear that Sandi. It might be 2 against 1 but if those lardy HD's tried anything? The Triumph would open a can of whoop-ass on them! :cool:
    giphy-10.gif

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Repooh

Repooh Sometimes, Later Becomes Never.....
    Subscriber

Jan 5, 2018
    Ruislip
    When I started this thread I had no idea emotions and opinions would run so high.

Seems there is a legacy of dislike for HD from certain camps, an irrational contempt from others balanced by real-life objective experience

Speaking with a chap at the Harley dealership he told me all Triumph riders are gay. As someone who identifies as a non-gender specific pair of curtains I didn’t comment.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Winglad

Winglad The Ungerman
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2016
    Germany
    WHAT??? No way! I‘ve been to several GMUs: ALL the kissin‘ ’n huggin‘ is TOTALLY BLOKEY!

:kissing_heart:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2