Battery

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bassy, Oct 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    Hi Guys
    Bike wouldn't start today so I put my tester on it and was reading 12.5, when I turned the ignition on it went down to 11.2. Put my maypole charger on it and went off for a brew come back and it was fully charged, so I tried starting it and no joy. Put a booster on and still didn't want to start, walked off and got changed out of my gear came back and tried again and with the boost on it nearly started, had another brew and tried again hay Presto it started. Got my gear back on and went for a ride 50 mins later pulled up had a chat with a mate, went to start up and yet again didn't want to start , someone jump started from a car. Get home and whilst bike is running checked voltage whilst revving it was hitting 14.5. Then turned off bike and checked and battery reading 12. 6 yet again turned ignition and battery went down to 11. 4.
    So is the battery done in????
    Cheers Bassy p.s it's a 2012 speed triple

• Like Like x 1
  2. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    To the battery industry a battery that reads 12v or less is considered a battery at serious risk (internal sulphation) and should be replaced.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    Ok cheers guys, so the the next question which battery make as I've got a yellow Motobatt AGM sealed battery at the moment so any suggestions?????

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Yuasa batteries are supposed to be good, well rated.

I think I'd be tempted by a gel battery next time. Currently got a motobatt in my Sprint, it's about 2 yrs old, and needs to be on the optimate when the engine isn't running, as the clock running kills it over a few days. Lol.

But, yeah... Your current battery is fookayed. (ha. Current! See what I did there?)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    I put a lithium battery in mine saves a few kg and starts well !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    i have had 2 mottobatts as I had heard good reports. both of them were knackered just after 2yrs old.
    I have now purchased a yuasa hopefully will last better.
    As for lithium unless space Is at a premium. I would just stick with the original as the cost vs benefits aren't good.
    I have one on my harrier as it has been fitted with Estart so needed good CCA .
    basically it a ytz7 size but licks out the same power as ytz14

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    Cheers guys.
    So I'm going to pay out on a yuasa battery the battery I've got fitted is a 14ah but world of triumph say it's a 12ah but I thought most bikes with just a start button and over a certain size engine needs to be a 14ah??
    So is it a 12 or 14 ah and which Hausa should I get??
    Question after question sorry guys just that you hear bad things happing to starter clutches and cranks just want to be 100%.
    Another question if triumph suffer from starter clutch and crank issues due to low voltage of battery and straining this parts why not fit some sort of saftey system in ecu if not enough voltage you can't start the engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    If you have a mate with a smart charger that can desulfurization, i have had a 67% success rate reviving dead batteries, 6 years on my last yuasa after it went flat a couple of times. When it finally totally died i replaced the 10 lb battery with a 1 lb lithium ion, about $40 more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    unfortunately the price difference in the UK between Lead & Lithium batteries is much greater

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I have two charger/maintainers. One is an optimate, and is for the Triumph. Never have a flat battery, as its on a support charge always, it cycles between standby and a quick top up. Bike is fitted with a clock which will kill the battery over time. So keeping it on charge is good. Similarly if you had a tracker/alarm fitted. Will constantly drain your battery.

The other one I got earlier this week, will do bike and car batteries, and is a C-tek 5. Really pleased with both chargers. Money well spent.

Look for the cca on the new battery. Amp hours is good, 14 is better than 12, but the cold cranking amps are important too.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    Cheers my shopping list for NEC is growing. Was thinking of buying yuasa ytxh14 bs which has a 204a cc but is only a 12ah. Looking for a 14ah but trying to find the size is a nightmare so that it fits in the space at front.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I think one of the online sellers had a sale on on chargers, think it was M&P? Might be worth a look. I sign up for all the emails, never know when there's something I want. (and sometimes it corresponds with something I can afford.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Interesting ....I've been agonising ( a little bit anyhow)....my Tiger 955i is still running well and showing decent charge on voltmeter.... but I don't know when it was fitted( bought this bike last spring) and it's my winter bike plus I'm off to Belgium in December...it can be bloody cold.
    Looked at bigger capacity and also motobatt..but in the the end just replaced with the OEM yuasa.
    I'm probably not understanding electrickery properly but I worried about stressing that sprag clutch with a bigger kick in the electric boot.
    And my last Tiger was perfectly happy with the the standard yuasa.
    But then I'm probably not understanding these spark things correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Easiest way to explain amp hour is, an amp hour is the amount of charge in a battery that will allow one amp of current to flow for one hour. So, in theory a 100ah battery should provide 1 amp for 100 hours, 2 amps for 50 hours, 3 amps for 33 hours and so on, but there are limits to how much current you can draw, without killing the battery. So it makes sense that a higher AH battery will give you power for longer.

Cca, or cold cranking amps, is the amount of amps the battery can give at 0°F over a 30 second starting cycle, without dropping below a certain voltage (which I think is 8v, which sounds wrong given its a 12v battery). Its a manufacturer spec thing, but again more cca is always good.

If you have a battery fitted that gives, say, 100 ah, it will do no harm to fit one that is higher rated, and the same goes for the cca rating. The higher ah rating the longer it will provide a current, the higher the cca the more it will give you for cold starting. At the end of the day, it's still a 12v battery.

However, if you have a 100ah battery, don't go fitting a 400ah battery, as you would then need a bigger alternator or generator. :)

For example, my Land Rover is specced to have an 85 ah battery. I have a standard 16acr alternator. But as its bloody cold here in winter (as low as minus 20 pretty often, and been down to minus 27 in the last decade) I fitted a bigger battery, a 110ah one, with no issues at all.

It's not a problem with Tori (my Sprint) as she lives in a heated shed ;) but I still have battery maintainence charger running. Keeping the battery warm helps a lot too... Dead cold flattens batteries.

If a battery tells you it is 12v when you test it with your meter, it's flat. Ideally it should show around 13v, and when the engine is running it should show around 14.5v at the terminals. If you don't see 14.5 (ish)v then suspect your charging circuits/alternator.

Does that make any sense at all? I'm not an auto sparky by any ways or means, it's just what I have picked up over years of owning old vehicles that need convincing to keep going! Hope it helps!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its that time of year soon as the colder weather starts battery's start to give up the ghost once they have a couple of years on them and combine that with today's modern ECUs and its goodby starting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    I have bought a yuasa YTX14H-BS with 240 CC and all is well again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I have a yussa on my 865 as well now I need a bit of wood. Its been on there now coming for nine years and still good. The thing I say over and over again get a battery charge it on tickler till fully optimised before fitting. Makes all the difference as your bike will mark battery level on fitting and only ever charge to that level.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    Cheers guys for all your in put . Got battery for 60 notes good buy I think

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Where did you get your battery from Bassy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    Bedford Battery got a mate in the motor trade didn't have to pay VAT

• Agree Agree x 1