Battery Type Advice Please

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Big Sandy, Mar 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Working on my Sprint 900 today, battery is getting past its best. Its an older lead acid battery.

I don't want any starter sprag problems thank you very much, so starting looking for a replacement.

Its a T300 1997 sprint 900, so would a Yuasa YTX14-BS be a decent battery? I think that's maintenance free, gel filled? I've never had a gel filled battery before.

Is lithium an option?

Also, while I have your attention.. Where do you get that plastic trim that goes over the edge of the screen? I put the shorter screen on today too, I could fit the one off the old screen, but that would mean cutting it, so if I refit the other screen I would have to buy it anyway. Might as well just do it!

2. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    All I can say is that I have been happy with the YTX14 in my 1997 Thunderbird 900 with basically the same engine. I've had it for 2,5 years and I believe it is Yuasa's high performance battery for this model. I have no experience with lithium.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    A gel filled battery is done at the factory in manufacturing so could already be up to 18month old before it’s fitted to a bike whereas acid is ‘as new’ when purchasing and fitting. Ask yourself which lasts longer first before you get one?

4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Where you live I don't think lithium is the way to go, they do not like low temperatures. Stick to the normal types, Yuasa are a good brand also look at Motobatt, they retain charge for a long time without use, usually have a higher amp/hour rating and have a 2 year guarantee.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I've had a lithium battery on my bike for the last 3 years or so and it's been great. The only caveat is that they don't like the cold. They do still work but if they get really cold you have to put a load through them for a while, like putting full beam on, for a few minutes, before cranking the engine. Didn't have much luck with a Motobatt, it wouldn't hold a charge so I sent it back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    How much windscreen trim do you need?? Just had a look in my stock of odds and ends, I have a 4ft length of windscreen trim (Clear plastic 'U' Section) which you are welcome to. Just drop me a message with your name and address and I will drop it in the post to you.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Yuasa YTX14 it is then! :) thanks for the help folks! Thanks also for the comments about lithium batteries, I didn't know they don't like the cold. It certainly gets cold here, minus 20's in some winters.

What do you reckon about purchasing? Go to a shop, get the local garage to order, or order online? I guess online is probably the cheapest option, but delivery might be fun?

That's really generous, thank you! I got a surprise, it's actually 2ft from end to end. I'll drop a pm on you, thanks :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Try and up the cch, cold cranking amps, just to give it some extra oomph!

9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Could try something like this
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/174044076216

• Like Like x 2
  10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    If that's for a perspex/plexi type windshield/screen I think you'll find it won't form easily and neatly around compound curvatures and will crease and pucker. You need something like the titanfast item shown here ...

https://phoenixtrim.co.uk/titanfast-pvc-edging-87-c.asp

It has a steel reinforcement component that allows it to keep its shape on curvatures.

This place is only a couple of miles from here and I've bought stuff direct from them before, albeit some time ago. If you're not in any rush, leave it until we're out of lockdown and I'll go round there and find out if they still do the stuff - if they do I'll buy it and send it on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Bookmarked that too, ta :)

@Samsgrandad is very kindly sending me some up that he has spare.

Can't beat this forum, can you?? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Which has just arrived! Top man :) 24 hrs from the deep south to the far north.... Cool! Thanks @Samsgrandad

• Like Like x 1
  14. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    yuasa YTX14AHL-BS is what you need or the poles will be the wrong way around.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Noted, thank you :) the BS bit should be easy enough to remember.... ;)

Currently the negative is on the offside, riders right side. Must remember to check for that when ordering.

16. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Woot! Massive variations in price, from £67 plus delivery to £177 plus delivery.

Makes you wonder how some places stay in business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    What is going on? I tried to post a conversation and the forum won't let me unless I invite a participant. When I did this it stated the person doesn't exist. Sorry to add this to a different topic but cannot seem to get a conversation started and am about to throw my computer out the ruddy window :mad::mad::mad:

18. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    So are you trying to start a conversation with yourself? :p
    If you start typing the member’s name in the participants box it should bring a list of them up so you can choose the right one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    #19 Rocker, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Click on post new thread

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Been replacing dead batteries with motobatt no problems and a two year guarantee

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1