Battery Removed For Winter Storage

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cassandra White, Jan 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cassandra White

Cassandra White New Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I've removed my battery in my 22 Street Twin for storage. #1 is this ok to do for the winter? The bike is in a storage facility and there is no electrical outlet to plug a tender into. So the battery is in my home on a battery tender. Is my bike ok like this?

2. Twobuells

Twobuells Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Catasauqua Pennsylvania
    Yes , No problem ! You may have to reset clock if applicable.

3. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    If available on the Speed Twin (?), you must also adjust the date, otherwise you get an error message that you can not get rid of otherwise! With the Tiger of my wife, this happened to us last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    If there's no facility to leave the battery on maintenance charge removing it is the only sensible option irrespective of what resetting procedures are required when it's refitted. Left connected, it'd just go flat and you'd still be faced with resetting whatever functions anyway, plus the faff of recharging or even replacing the battery if it's knackered.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Every year I take my Bonneville off the road at the end of October, it remains in hibernation until March / April, depending on the weather.
    I always remove the battery from the bike, I then put the battery in an appropriate size cardboard box and place the box in the bottom of the airing cupboard upstairs in the house.
    There is no significant variation in temperature within the cupboard.
    When the bike is brought back out of the shed, it is fettled and then finally the battery is reconnected without having been connected to a charger at any time.
    Starts first time, every year.
    I see no need to change my procedure.
    Might be useful to you?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Cassandra White

Cassandra White New Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Thanks everyone!!!!