Battery optimisers

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chiari1, Feb 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chiari1

chiari1 First Class Member
    Subscriber

Mar 19, 2016
    wrexham , north wales
    Hello folks , due to a 2 month motorcycle ban by swmbo coming up and potential problems with sprag clutches on early thunderbirds I need to buy a battery optimiser , the mention of anything to do with elastictrickery scares the siht out of me , when it says 1.5 or 2.5 amps per hour what exactly does it mean please
    kelvin

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Totally agree with Jack, the Optimate or similar are clever trickle chargers and can be left permanently on when your bike is parked up, automatically adjusting the level of charge so your battery is always at an optimum operating condition

3. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

+1

Having tried several different bike battery chargers with mixed results. The Optimate 4 is faultless & definitely the one to buy Kelvin.

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme
    Subscriber

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Bugger I bought the 3!!!

5. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    always 1 short aren't we:D:D:D:D

6. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Optimate 4 is what you want make sure you get one with a suitable lead for your tractor :D

7. crispey

Subscriber

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    #7 crispey, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Oh! I always thought you were 2 short not 1

• Like Like x 1
  8. chiari1

chiari1 First Class Member
    Subscriber

Mar 19, 2016
    wrexham , north wales
    cheers folks

9. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Both my T120 and my FJR1300 are constantly on Optimate 4's. FJR battery is 8 years old and still seems good as new.

10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I used to have an Optimate 3 but it died after relatively short service. I currantly :rolleyes: use an Aldi intelligent charger which has programs for bikes and cars and appears to work perfectly. Had it for about 18 months and totally faultless.

• Like Like x 1
  11. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    I am. My imaginary friend is as well so 2+2= my Optimate 4:D

12. half ton

half ton Crème de la Crème

Oct 18, 2013
    uk
    Yep.. I use the Aldi one as well,Great bit of kit so far:)

13. crispey

Subscriber

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Quick question, I plug my optimiser 3 into the sae connector thats connected to the battery, the save light lights up then moves on to the charge light then on to the green test and maintain light. Should this glow solidly? I have had it connected for 24 hrs and it is still flashing, is this a problem or not?

Ta

14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Steve, it could be an indication of: either a faulty/defunct battery or the battery charger has died.

My guess would be the battery is not holding the charge.

I had an Optimate 3 that died on me so I now have (via Tigcraft) an excellent Aldi intelligent charger that only cost about £13 and has various programs for bikes as well as bigger batteries from cars and other vehicles.

15. crispey

Subscriber

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Cheers Dave,
    It's definitely charging the battery. Would it be the alarm stopping it from reaching a constant full charge or even the tomtom rider dock? I shall unplug the latter. I am right in thinking that the green light should be constant at some point?

16. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    http://accumate.co.uk/Optimate 3 Instructions.pdf
    My alarm doesn't stop mine from reaching a trickle charge state. The alarm is why I use one.
    Mine the optimate 4, so not sure if that makes a difference.
    At the top I put a link to the charger manual. It's easier to read than the booklet you get with it.

17. crispey

Subscriber

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    cheers, so it says the light should flash for the full 12 hrs, I can only assume its good then, doesnt say anything about a steady green light.

18. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    On the Optimate 4 after it's charged mine alternates between a steady green light and a flashing one. IIRC it goes steady green then monitors the battery every 30 minutes and if needed goes into the flashing green stage where it applies a maintenance charge, then goes back to steady green again. If you have an alarm fitted that's draining the battery it'll go into the flashing maintenance cycle more often?

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Steve, I'm not at all pretending to know alot about Optimates, but I would have thought that it should, sooner or later, go steady green.

20. crispey

Subscriber

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Cheers again! Took a reading shortly after charge and came out as 12.7 then 7 hrs later it's 12.58v. Alarm not fully armed