Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MICK LEONARD, Dec 10, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MICK LEONARD

MICK LEONARD Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    SOUTH COAST UK
    Ok just replaced a suspect battery on my America. What's the general consensus on charging? not sure if its ok to have charger connected all the time in the winter, or just once a week or month as a maintenance charge.

2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Hi Mick, I have my Speedy on the Optimate all the time when not riding it. Seems to work for me:grinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I also keep charger / maintainer on whenever not in use. Too many electronics to cause drain issues.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Modern "intelligent" chargers, like the Optimate mentioned (I have a CTeK) are designed to be left connected indefinately, sensing battery condition and adjusting the charge rate to suit. Having said that, I charge the ZZR, now SORNED for the Winter, once a week as it has an imobiliser and a Meta alarm fitted, both of which draw a small amount of current. The dirt bike, on the other hand, has neither and zero drain so can be left for weeks without issues. I also have an old style "stupid" charger, must be 40 years old and made for wet LA batteries. I don't use it for modern AGM or GEL batteries though. They don"t like it up 'em you know!:joy:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    My Speedy RS and the wife's Tiger 900 are connected to Oxford Oximizers whenever not being used.

• Like Like x 1
  6. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    Another vote for leaving an Optimate etc connected when you're not riding your bike

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I use Optimate for all of my bikes and these are intended to gently maintain the battery. In fact, my Daytona has been connected permanently for 10+ years (other than when riding of course). :)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Mine go on an Optimate when the weather turns colder and the bikes are likely to get cold soaked for days at a time or going to be left for extended periods. They come off when they get ridden much more frequently in warmer weather ;)

• Like Like x 4
  9. MICK LEONARD

MICK LEONARD Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    SOUTH COAST UK
    Ok cheers for the info. Seems like its permanent connection of the charger (I have the Triumph one, but pretty sure its an Optimate) so will keep it set up and see.

• Like Like x 2
  10. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I have lithium batteries on two out of three of my bikes. Some people like them, some don't. They are certainly a hell of a lot lighter than a conventional battery with lead internals, it feels like you've actually bought an empty box! However, one thing to note if you do use them is you need a special battery charger. One for an 'ordinary' battery will knacker it up. I have a Ctek for the other bike with a lead/gel battery and as others have already said, a 'smart' charger such as the Optimate or Ctek, you can leave on throughout the winter months without problems.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    LI vehicle batteries intended as drop in replacement for LA batteries should have onboard charging circuitry so a "normal" (ie, not the newer intelligent types intended for LA batts) charger can be used. These charge in the same way and rate as the vehicles charging system. Not all LI batteries have this on board BMS circuitry and that can cause problems. I've been looking at LI batteries and might get a replacement for the dirtbike if/when the standard battery packs up. On a lightweight machine like that the weight saving is useful and potentially more noticeable. On a 200+kg road bike not so. LI's do have superior performance characteristics though. It's the old cost vs benefit equation.

• Like Like x 1