Battery Chargers, Optimisers.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Big Sandy, Nov 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BB3Lions

BB3Lions BB3Lions™©®
    Subscriber

Jul 26, 2018
    UK
    I've had my optimate 4 for 11 years, never let me down. I may not have used it for 7+ of those years, but still.

I should be a politician.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If putting your bike into storage for an extended period, couldn't you remove the battery, keep it inside nice n warm and give it a regular charge it up before installing in Spring?
    Would it have an adverse affect on the bike not having a battery fitted?

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    I don't think having no battery would have an adverse effect on the bike itself. . Unless ecu's lose their memory, and even if they did it would be just like starting with a new ecu, it would have to relearn your riding style. Though I have seen cars refuse to start after a week of no battery.

Putting the battery somewhere warm would stop the cold draining it, right enough. But starter batteries need a cycle of use to keep them in condition, they aren't like leisure batteries that can take long slow depletion, then a charge; they are designed for a large draw of current, then an instant recharge. So you'd need to use it and charge it a few times to keep it in condition. Least ways, that's my understanding of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

You would need to keep the battery on the bike if it has an alarm system fitted, an optimate would stop the alarm from draining the battery.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    That's a good point. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

#26 Dozers Dad, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Quick update on those Maypole chargers we were talking about last night.

Good news = The permanent connector lead looks to have exactly the same SAE connector as the latest Optimate chargers? Plus it has a massive range of 1.2Ah right up to 120Ah. That is higher than the Optimate 4 goes for general use. I think the maximum for the Optimate 4 is 75Ah & only when connected for long term storage?

Bad news = They are not recommended for GEL batteries (only lead acid & AGM) I'm fairly sure the Optimate 4 will happily look after all three battery types?

Here's the blurb from Maypole...
    Screenshot_2018-11-18-13-25-55.png
    Whilst I'm at it. Here's a photo of the original white TM connectors used by Optimate & others. Plus the later/current SAE connector & the patch lead I mentioned last night. To convert a TM lead to an SAE lead...
    Screenshot_2018-11-18-13-33-04.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Wishbone

Wishbone Senior Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I have a Maypole MP7423 6V / 12V 4A Electronic Smart Charger, thought it was good for anything but Lithium? use it for cars now.
    Which is why,when I put a lithium battery in my VFR800 Vtec I bought a NOCO Genius g1100 does anything including cars.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigCLM

BigCLM Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I use a Battery Tender Jr. I ride on the weekends and always keep my battery on my charger whenever I am not riding, and any time of year. I have been riding for 30+ years and my batteries have always lasted a long time. Batteries not kept charged will slowly be damaged over time. This damage is totally normal for batteries that are not maintained charged.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Optimate 4 is my choice have used optimate for over a decade now no probs,tried Oxford chargers but never lasted last time had on with digital display got it free with practical sports bike but kept setting alarm off on the speedy,ended up selling it on gumtree nearly paid mag subscription l.o.l

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. MattP

MattP Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Johnjo

Johnjo Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I replaced an aged optimate charger with an all singing and dancing ctek one. It can tell whether it's plugged into a bike or car and charge accordingly. It works just fine with a nice display indicating the progressive charge rate.

One criticism though. It doesn't like charging the bike via the triumph accessory socket as the optimate did. I preferred charging through the socket as I don't like too much wired directly to the battery terminals.

Given my time again I would have chosen another optimate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    A lot of my friends use ctek chargers on their Land Rovers. If I'd asked them they would have said ctek, but horses for courses an all that, you want bike related info, ask on the best bike forum :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I found an old 5yr + battery at the back of my garage with 5.6v remaining (it is a 12v)

It has been on the standard charger for three days and still showing as charging
    I will see if it has picked up any more juice tomorrow
    I reckon it is for the recycling centre but thought I woild try and revive it

14. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk

I think that's dead :(

A battery with a 100% state of charge would typically show 12.7 volts when measured at the terminals (under no load)
    A battery with a zero % charge is anything below 10.05v.

I'll tell you a tale about batteries. Years ago I was in a Land Rover indi parts supplier and workshop. Was talking to the owner (comparing parts prices, as you do) and the phone rings. He picks up the phone with an apology to me, and the conversation goes like this "Hello.. . Oh yes, you think your battery is failing? Right, well what I suggest is you get a drop test* done, and if that shows its a weak battery come on in and we'll sort you with a new one."

*Drop test.. You put a gauge over the terminals and it tells you the strength (for want of a better word) of the battery. The faster it fails, the weaker it is.

Anyhoo, we resume the conversation. Discussing parts is like ladies doing shoe shopping... You know how it is. 5 minutes later, phone rings again. He answers... " Okay. Right. You've done that. Right. Yeah," (he's going red in the face now) "yeah, come on in. We gots plenty in stock...."

Phone goes down and he literally falls down on the floor behind the counter laughing. After the wheezing has stopped I ask what's so funny.

Guy told him " I did what you said. I dropped the battery and testing it like that cracked the casing and the acid has leaked out. I think I need a new one."

:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I have two batteries and one Optimate, can I charge one battery for a month and then swap to the other battery for another month before swapping back again? Will this keep the batteries topped up over winter without causing any detrimental affect to both batteries?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Yes mate but I'd half the time if they are bike batteries? Swap between the 2 every 2 weeks. Or even every other week per battery.
    If they are larger capacity car batteries? Every other month will be fine.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the reply DD, they're both bike batteries.......

18. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    That's useful to know. I was wondering what I would do when my son leaves his bike here for storage. You can get the extra hookup leads..... :rolleyes:

19. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Putting my Optimate Lithium charger through its paces tonight

Haven't used the bike for two weeks
    Thought I had better check the Lithium battery i bought couple of months ago.
    Oh dear 2.6v !!!
    The tracker I have installed has totally drained it

The charger has completed the 'save' cycle and is now in 'charge' mode
    Will let you know if the battery is saved tomorrow hopefully

• Like Like x 3
  20. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Fingers crossed it ressurects it! Be interesting to see how it goes.

Scary just how quickly the tracker flattened the battery though :scream: