Balancing Efi Throttle Bodies And Fitting A Temporary Tacho On A 2012 Bonneville

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by AGP556, Feb 21, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AGP556

AGP556 New Member

Feb 12, 2021
    Malta
    Hi All,

I wonder if I could pick your collective and more experienced brains once again.

I would like to check both the idle speed as well as the throttle body balance on my 2012 EFI air cooled Bonneville. I have seen people use a computer program to do this on YouTube. Where does one buy such a program from, is it available? And, is it possible to fit an after market tacho temporarily to the bike to check the revs? if yes how does one go about it?

Thank you all,
    Albert

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    you can download a free programme called tuneECU here and make sure if you go with the pc you get the correct usb2obd cable or go the bluetooth android version

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes, tune ECU is a free program you can download to your laptop. As crispey says get the right OBD cable to connect it with and it will show you the rpm to set the idle by and the throttle body settings.
    Just out of interest, I checked my 2012 SE Bonneville throttle bodies at 12000 miles and they were spot on, (as we're the valves) and again at 17000 and they were spot on.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. AGP556

AGP556 New Member

Feb 12, 2021
    Malta
    Many thanks for this. Where do I get the correct USB to OBD cable?

Thanks,
    A

5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    ebay!
    or, if you look on the tune ecu website, it gives a few links to some.

6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Be careful on ebay, lots if cheapo leads that do not always work, go for Lonelec . Not sure but think there are different ones for ktm etc so make sure it is for triumph.
    I have one for Android for my speed triple but you have to subscribe for android version.

7. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Personally I use dealer tool. I chose this over TuneEcu, because I wanted something that was hard wired to my lap top. Not a wireless app, not used TuneEcu so not criticising it just my preference.
    Here's a video of me balancing throttles on a speed triple.