Baffling Electrical Problem--need Advice

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jack Gittinger, Dec 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jack Gittinger

Jack Gittinger New Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Taos, New Mexico
    I am posting a problem I am having with my 2006 Scrambler.

When I turn my ignition switch toward the "on" position, the oil and neutral light up brightly, but then both go out when the key reaches the actual "ON" position. I repeat, BOTH THE OIL AND NEUTRAL LIGHTS MOMENTARILY FLASH AS THE KEY IS BEING MOVED TO THE “ON” POSITION but has not reached the actual "on" position. Once the "on" position is reached, all lights go out and there is no power to anything.

Based on my own ideas and several suggestions from others, I have checked/done the following:
    --Battery and fuses are all good.
    --Ground is good.
    --I checked and cleaned the contacts in the original main ignition switch. No change in problem.
    --I installed a new main ignition switch. No change.
    --I disconnected and “jumped” the kickstand safety switch. It is working correctly. No change in problem.
    --Based on user suggestion, I installed a new starter relay cross-over. No change in problem.
    --I installed new coils. Didn't seem too likely to me, but was out of ideas and tried this based on another's suggestion. No change in problem.

I am having a hard time imagining what other component failure would kill the power completely and shut off the oil and neutral lights when ignition key is in the "ON" position.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I’d be buying a ‘power probe’ first to start fault finding. That’s a tool that detects both poles at the same time and tells you what it is either green (negative) or red (positive). It also lets you power up components on a rocker switch. It’s one of those tools you’d never want to be without.
    I’m guessing from the problem that it could be in the starter switch circuit meaning when the starter button is pressed it cuts out ‘non important’ circuits and it might be faulty therefore when the ignition it switched to on the starter might already be part way through it’s dismissing circuit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Short in the harness ?
    I found this in my harness on my 09 America
    IMG_20191224_101512.jpg
    The brass crimp connector was wrapped in factory blue insulation tape , this was all that held the green wire that can be seen on right just above connection.
    Symptoms were : ignition cutting out momentarily when handle bars move. There were two other multiple connectors , what the hook together unknown , but possibly sources of electrical problems ?
    Check wiring , in my picture , the bare black wire , if in contact with the green , caused headlight to go out/off , but it would flash and only left indicator's would Work , no brake light or starting .

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Sounds like you have a corroded block connector?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Only a guess without going thought the lot with a meter but by your description i would have gone strait for the ignition switch, but as you have replaced it i would say you need to fault find....but it sounds like a short to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. almegro

almegro New Member

Nov 18, 2017
    hants
    Hello,
    just another idea you say the battery is "good" have you tried another battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would agree the battery needs load testing just to rule it out.

That said, it often helps to think of bike electrics as ‘ignition circuit’ + ‘starter circuit ‘ + ‘ancillaries ‘.

When you switch on the ignition circuit is energised, when you press the starter the starter circuit is briefly engaged. The ancillaries (including charging) meanwhile loiter in the background but mostly only come into play with a running engine.

So, if the lights flicker, your battery is either giving out or you have a basic connectivity issue in the feed to or from the (permanently energised) ignition circuit/switch and back to the battery via earth. By separating the circuits in your head you can stop chasing irrelevant issues like ignition coils which have no influence on the symptoms you describe. Your problem logically starts in the ignition circuit.

My working suspicion is a duff connection - have you plugged/unplugged and cleaned all the multiplugs from igniter to headlamp shell and under the tank in the harness plus any chafing/stretching round the headstock? You should also check the Earth strap for corrosion on the gearbox stud just forward of the swingarm.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I think we’ve lost the OP!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jack Gittinger

Dec 25, 2019
    Taos, New Mexico

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jack Gittinger

Dec 25, 2019
    Taos, New Mexico

When I get the lights to stay on, still no crank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jack Gittinger

Dec 25, 2019
    Taos, New Mexico
    Thanks for the suggestions!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jack Gittinger

Dec 25, 2019
    Taos, New Mexico
    Getting 12.73 volts. Have not tried another battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jack Gittinger

Dec 25, 2019
    Taos, New Mexico

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jack Gittinger

Dec 25, 2019
    Taos, New Mexico