Baffle removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by 2k13streettriple, Mar 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Troy92

Troy92 Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Leicester
    Got these underseats which are sold as removable baffles.. but it turns out there fixed. As these look different to the rest displaying is this thread where would you guys recommend cutting to. Or where it may be welded? thanks

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

2. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Troy, from the 2nd image it looks like the weld has already been ground back so really you should be able to knock it out from the back. See the line right at the back of the pipe, the double seam, the inner part is the baffle mate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    The part you want to remove looks similar to this. Note image borrowed for reference from an existing thread.

2B3E1274-8D7F-4382-A8A8-03637EEBAA7B.jpeg

4. Troy92

Troy92 Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Leicester
    Evening Angus. The first picture doesn't show up like the second one but they are identical. The second one i applied some heat to bring out the void more. Spoke with the shop i got them from and apparently they're fixed. Despite the part number online showing as removable. Banged from the back none stop hard and getting nothing, seeing as i got them new for 250 and the caps already off im going to cut it back tomorrow.

5. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Troy, apologies I was not aware that you tried to knock them out from the back yet. Just be careful not to damage the outer part when you have a go later. Perhaps tape up the outside to prevent scratches and scuff marks. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    In first pic with carbon end on it looks like there is a screw in the top right of the baffle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Troy92

Troy92 Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Leicester
    The screws out on that picture, I’m going to give it a go with the cut.

8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    In the pics the weld has been ground off, you can see the marks and burrs top right. If you can see the gap all the way round they should knock out from behind but they are a very tight fit and you have to be careful. Mine are removable on my 2015 bike. I’ve cut the rounded end off and drilled more holes the same size as the originals up at the top end, sounds lovely, but not as raw as when they are out.
    I have one held in with a screw but the other has a duff thread, they are so tight that after 10,000 miles they haven’t budged.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    How much did you shorten the baffle? Does it make a noticeable difference? Dont want to cut it in half for no reason or make it as loud as with none.Obviously it wouldnt be as loud and to an outside visual check it still appears to have baffles in.

10. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Does anyone know if there is a link pipe available to remove the cat on the Speed Triple rs 2018? Any info would be great thanks.

11. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Note this was on the MT09, it was shortened by 40mm on the 3 pipes inside.

12. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Just curious as I've removed the discs and made the baffles removable now. Definitely a better sound but with the baffles out it's very boomy so might shorten them as a test. SC Projects should have new cans available soon they told me by the end if 2018 so I've emailed them to see. Had scorpion on my fireblade and miss the volume!

13. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
  14. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    It’s really uncharted territory at best at the moment as I honestly have no idea how it will affect the sound. On my MT09 it was perfect and perhaps luck but the sound came out great. Here’s a picture of what the outer end looked like after machining.

5CBFDF2E-17D5-4DDD-A4CA-C414058E3DC8.jpeg

CFF9475C-5AE8-419F-BF0C-C56EB2AA9AB2.jpeg

15. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Looks like it worked well, very neat job

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Thank you, hope it will turn out the same when I do the Arrow baffle.

17. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Does anyone know if there was a dyno before and after restrictive disc removal? I thought I saw it here somewhere. I can’t find it doing a search.

18. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Not seen a dyno report, I've been talking to Paul at Pure Triumph and mine will be having a trip down for a decat, refueling map etc. Contact him if you get a min it's interesting stuff

19. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ok, thanks. I saw one and I thought is was on this forum. If I remember correctly it was unchanged before and after restrictive disc removal. It also showed fuelling results, I believe those were unchanged as well. Just wanted to have another look at it

20. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    I removed the discs on mine, also made the baffles removable. With the discs removed there is a slightly better sound but no performance change. With the baffles out it's very boomy and you loose low end and mid range slightly as the gas temp / pressure is wrong. Having the decat job done with a new fuel module and an quality dyno etc with give the maximum results. The Arrow pipes are very good with the correct work adding SC Project cans on top of that work doesn't give more performance increase but does give a serious noise increase