Baffle removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by 2k13streettriple, Mar 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dar

Dar New Member

Aug 10, 2018
    UK
    Hi,
    It is slightly louder and has a slightly deeper tone..I'm planning on removing the baffles over the winter, can't stand quiet exhausts.

Hope this helps,

D

• Like Like x 1
  2. SpeedRS

SpeedRS New Member

Sep 25, 2018
    France
    Thank you very much for your quick response

I will start by removing the cap with the little hole so

The only thing that blocks me

Is that even the big chicane is still visible, if I have a control I am not in the norms?

In France we haven't technical control on the bike, just on the car. But I think there will be one for motorcycle in a short time
    In England do you have a technical control on the motorcycle too?
    Removing the cap with the small hole may not compromise the technical control?

Thanks !

3. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Il y a une disposition pour avoir un contrôle sur les vélos, mais sans doute, il viendra dans quelques années, où vous vivez, je vivais dans les alpes entre courchevel et bozel

4. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    We have bikes tested in the UK after they're 3 years old.

I was confident enough to drill out the hole, and have no doubt that it'll still pass the test, it doesn't make that much difference.

I'd also add that I've done about 600 miles now with the restricter drilled out and I think the noise is getting even better. Initially I was going to remove the baffles too, but now not going to bother.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SpeedRS

SpeedRS New Member

Sep 25, 2018
    France
    thank you for your reply

On the Speed RS I have 2 baffle, the first big tube and the second at the bottom is a round plate welded all around the exhaust with a small hole of 5mm.

I want to know if I remove the "big baffle" I must remove the small round plate with the small hole too ?

thank you very much

6. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    I'd say it could be possibly be done without drilling the small hole. If you grind off the weld on the baffle, then use a slide hammer with a hook, or rear axle bearing puller to free the baffle.

Honestly, drill the hole out and if you still want more, remove the baffles after. I think there's no way you're failing any test for drilling out the discs.

7. mahmoth

mahmoth New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Belgium
    Even though I'm also native french, I'll answer in english...

If you choose to remove the baffles, make sure you foresee a way to put them back if needed (e.g., with a screw) because, even though there aren't any technical controls yet, police in France does perform random controls on bikes and will fine you (90€) if yours is too loud, especially if it is obvious that you removed the baffles.

There's no way to put the small restrictor plate thingy back if you remove it though and, although cops don't care that much where I am (Belgium), I do ride in France once in a while so I am still hesitant to do it. However from what I understand from this very thread, there is no actual increase in volume, just better sound, so I guess that part should be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Colin W

Colin W New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Bolton
    Hi , i removed the 4 black rivets , but the carbon cap seemed to be glued on and i couldnt budge it . Any ideas ? . Cheers , Colin .

9. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    Give a wriggle and pull at the same time

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spspeed

Spspeed Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Michigan
    I am about to do the baffle removal this week. I cut my discs out about 6 weeks ago, that was a great improvement in tone/timbre but not in volume. I wear ear plugs and need more volume so the baffles are coming out. I'll try to do some pics and post up something to add to the collective experience here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    I had this same issue, and it took me forever to get that shit off. I ended up getting a set of vinyl tools to remove door panels. It had a long fairly flat bar in there that i was able to slip under the carbon end cap and slide it all the way around to break the glue seal. I tried bicycle tire levers and they were too fat for this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Just done mine, used stainly knife to remove carbon end, came off very easy.
    Put back together with some small screws, ordering the black rivets tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Spspeed

Spspeed Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Michigan
    #133 Spspeed, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Did the job, used nylon interior tools to remove the end caps. Wasn't too much of a job really, far more relaxed than I imagined it would be. Worked deliberately and slowly in order not to damage the carbon fiber. They put a small bead of gasket maker or some adhesive; they didn't just plaster the whole contact area with adhesive - which was my fear. Only took me about 10 minutes for each end cap I would guess. I used flap disc on my grinder to remove the weld. Cleaned up the new opening with my Dremel and reassembled. The result is glorious. Lol. The sound/timbre was precisely what I expected and since I have already removed the 'restrictor discs' the Arrows on the RS sound like I had imagined they should. Perfect IMHO without being obnoxious.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #134 Bryan3R, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Just been out on mine, and I feel low boy can is too loud with baffle out, so may need to refit it.

15. Dar

Dar New Member

Aug 10, 2018
    UK
    Just finished debaffling mine..think the Arrow factory ran out of black sealant with mine..one cap only had a small blob on and the other had none
    Only took around an hour and a half from start to finish..fifteen minutes with an angle grinder and around the same with my Dremel to clean up the edges etc. Didn't bother with the baffle refit screw, but may look into it if the running is affected.
    Sounds lovely and deep now..let's hope I can get out on it tomorrow for a test ride

IMG-20181201-WA0002.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    This is my fear as well, on my MT09 (also a triple) the sound was simply too loud with the baffle out, especially under load. I ended up shortening the baffle and re fitted, this made it perfect. I might do the same with low boy when I get to it.

17. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Mines definitely too loud with the baffles out, sounds good with the discs removed. I never thought of shortening the baffle

18. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Let me know if anyone else has gone that way, I'm curious now.

19. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #139 Bryan3R, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Twin cans would be bit quieter than the single low boy can with baffles removed I would think.

20. Dar

Dar New Member

Aug 10, 2018
    UK
    Can it be too loud?..maybe I'm too used to my previous bikes..Honda SP2, Aprilia RSVR, KTM Superduke R and an R1 all with Akropovic exhausts fitted. Should sound great over the mountain in June. #loudexhaustssavelives

• Like Like x 1