Baffle removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by 2k13streettriple, Mar 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Johnboy18

Johnboy18 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2021
    the moon
    Sorry to hear your troubles,
    I have a 2020 speed and expect the cans to be the same. they say the baffles are non removable if they are welded in as yours ( and mine ) are . Usually they are only classed as removable baffles if they release with a screw or nut .
    I also had the issues with the carbon caps and gave up on the at method , I used the Dremel and as grinding was taking ages used small cutting disks instead , even when I took about 4mm off I couldn’t see the split between the 2 metals , so I removed them , gave it a solid ( not ridiculous) nudge from the inside using a wooden broom handle pushing the baffle out and it showed the separation between the 2 almost instantly.
    Carried on hitting it out and it came out within a few minutes .
    If you have made a even cut / grind all the way round give it a go , the cans only take a few minutes to remove .

2. Bartlett

Bartlett New Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Thank you, Sir! Cheers, from Canada!!

3. Bartlett

Bartlett New Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    #243 Bartlett, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021

Thanks for the reply! I have the can off already and will try your method... I appreciate the response!! So, to be clear... I'll be putting a broom handle in the side that would be clamped to the header and the broom handle will be pressing against the disc, internally, that people are also removing? If the baffle comes out, the disc will be attached? Sorry for the stupidly specific questions, but I thought I had covered my butt witht the research I've done and it hasn't gone well, thus far... Barrett

4. Johnboy18

Jan 3, 2021
    the moon
    Yeah that’s right , I removed the disks first but wasn’t loud enough for me . You’ll know after a few firm hits if it’s gonna move or not .

5. Bartlett

Bartlett New Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    UPDATE:
    Please read and pass on to any other Triumph forums, friends or clubs. I'm hoping to help others avoid the troubles that I've encountered.

OK...

This is from my dealership in Edmonton, Canada. Thanks SO much to Argyll Motorsports and Dan, the foreman, whom has confirmed and ordered a new left side Arrow Special Parts entire exhaust for me FREE OF CHARGE!

1. The Arrows up to 2015 are a different animal from the 16 and up. The baffles are removable, by design. Make sure you don't confuse the two in your research. Yes, the 2015 exhaust will fit on the 2016 and up RS, if you want removable baffles that were designed that way.

2. 2016 and up are NOT DESIGNED to have the baffles removed.

3. Are the 2016 and up removable? YES. Triumph UK confirmed this to my dealership.

4. How do you remove them? They can be removed exactly as SteveRS has instructed.

HOWEVER...

Although, this method has been used successfully and widely, it does not apply to ALL RS exhausts!
    How do you know if your exhaust baffle will be able to be removed successfully? The exhaust tip will have a very fine tack weld around the entire circumference of the tip. You will be able to see it and it will feel rough to the touch. My right side exhaust has this. My left side did not.

If you DO NOT have this tack weld, your exhaust tip is SOLID and WILL NOT split, no matter how much dremmeling you do. Triumph Edmonton is looking into why/what/how etc this would occur and will get back to me.

If you do not have access to a dremmel and/or want to be extra careful and remove the end caps, there is another consideration... Some people have reported that thier caps were easy to remove and had, either, zero glue/paste/sticky under the cap. Others have reported having a "dab" of glue and others have reported an entire bead of glue.

My end cap was completely covered underneath and was destroyed when the dealership attempted to remove it. SO... if you are wanting to remove the end cap, it is a crap shoot as to whether it will be easy, hard or impossible.

If you are going the dremmel route to remove the baffles; ONLY ATTEMPT THIS IF THERE IS A TACK WELD. IF IT IS SMOOTH, YOUR TIP IS SOLID.

I am extremely lucky to have kept all my correspondence with Triumph America and UK, regarding baffle removal questions and the only reason they are replacing the entire exhaust is because the engineers that I talked to should have informed me that only tips with the tack weld will be removable.

Who knows... my lefty may be a unicorn, but it never hurts to be informed and save the headache. Thank you, Triumph, for supporting and taking care of me. It is MUCH appreciated!!

Sorry for the long post, everyone, but I like to be specific.

Take care,

Barrett

IMG_9811.JPG
    Ps. the pictures here are what your tack welds should look like.

IMG_9810.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Peterborough, On
    Mine did the same as yours. I took a good 4-5mm off and didn't see any split develop. I used a long extension with a large socket to pound the baffle out from the inside. My disks were removed. Luckily, your dealer was nice and gave you a new one to try again lol. I used a thin plastic shim to break the glue on the end caps while heating with a heat gun. Just wedge it between the cap and the can. It takes some work, but it will come off. Once you figure out how to so it on the first can, the second one is easy.

7. Bartlett

Bartlett New Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Got my new can and all ids well.
    Got my new can and all is well in the world. When I get a chance, I'll do a deep dive into the old one and see how much it takes to remove. I ended up over 12 mm removed and no split, but because it's damaged already, I can afford to go to town. I'll report back if there are any changes in my findings. Thanks for the reply! Barrett

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Peterborough, On
    That's crazy. I feel like the heat from cutting make it appear like its still welded together. I think you'll find a couple good whacks will separate it.

9. Johnboy18

Jan 3, 2021
    the moon
    Has anyone tested the sound levels once the baffles have been removed ? I wanna do a track day but not sure they will pass the noise test