Baffle removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by 2k13streettriple, Mar 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    You bet. Cut a piece of sheet metal or tin from the hardware store and curve it to the shape of the end of the muffler. Enough to protect about 1/4 of the end cap is enough. Slide it in between the baffle and the carbon fibre end cap. This will ensure the cutting disc doesn’t cut into the carbon end cap. Using a dremel with a small cutting disc, cut about an 1/8 of an inch of the end of the baffle off from the inside of the baffle outwards. I think I used about 8 or 10 discs, as they diminish very quickly. Pay close attention to how far the disc is cutting through the baffle to ensure you don’t go too far through, which is why the metal is placed between the baffle and end cap. Continue sliding the piece of metal around as you continue cutting off the baffle end. You can use a file or a grinding attachment for the dremel to clean up the cut afterwards. The cut I made was very clean and needed almost no clean up. Here are a couple of photos after the baffles were cut off.

CE8C7BD6-A3D5-423A-A15E-B67CDB494B97.jpeg

1F4DA42E-4593-496F-BA74-CAF1E2E71E07.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Dowder

Dowder New Member

Apr 28, 2020
    Swindon
    Steve that's great thank you! I will absolutely give this a go... I'll order a couple of packs of cutting discs for my Dremel from Amazon right away!!

I appreciate you taking the time to send the reply! Great help!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Any time sir. Good luck. If you have any questions along the way, just ask. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johnboy18

Johnboy18 New Member

Jan 3, 2021
    the moon
    just been reading through this thread and have removed the disks no issues ( great thread and advice BTW ) - whats people general thoughts on performance with baffles removed ? I see there is a couple of mixed opinions but not too much feedback ? looking to remove mine this weekend just to be able to compare the 2 sounds ( baffle in and out ) as you tube sound doesn't reflect true likeness IMO.

5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi John, I have posted dyno runs from another forum on here to show there is no loss of power or torque when removing the discs and baffles. Personally I feel it performs better with both removed. It sure sounds better that’s for sure. Stock sounds very restricted IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Johnboy18

Johnboy18 New Member

Jan 3, 2021
    the moon
    Yeah I agree to the sound, gonna try remove them using the Dremel type tool - can’t be bothered trying to mess about with the end caps . I think I should be able to fix a small screw back in place if it’s too loud anyway .

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Not that you’ll ever want them back in, but yes the screw should work well for reinstalling.

8. Johnboy18

Johnboy18 New Member

Jan 3, 2021
    the moon
    #228 Johnboy18, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    All done using the Dremel method thanks for advice all ,
    My cuts are no where as near as neat as @SteveRS ,I’m bit too heavy handed! however it’s out which is the main thing , I’ll give it a tidy up after I’ve been on a few runs ,

• Like Like x 3