Back on a Bike

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Rich Bryce, Sep 18, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Keep plugging away mate and you'll get your dream bike.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I think those pipes look bluer than they really are due to blue sky reflecting in them. I always buy my bikes on a hunch. I will look at ads for ages and nothing stands out or within a week I will have bought something. They just seem to have my name on or not. This bike I have now I saw on eBay, phoned the guy up and offered a deposit there and then and said if it was as is in the ad I would give him full asking price. When I read the ad I knew it was for me, drive 200 miles up the M6 to pick it up. I must be blessed fingers crossed

3. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Hi and welcome
    I buy all my bikes privately and like crispy I alway buy on a hunch the right bike will turn up just be patian

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #24 Rich Bryce, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Well here's stupid for you. I just bought a £4000 bike on Ebay while half asleep, d'oh! I'd narrowed it down to four including the two SE versions I mentioned before. After discussion with the owner of the chromed-out 2009/130 miles I reckon I could get it for £4500 if I pay for the service to ensure it runs true. In an email exchange the owner of the 2010/12500 (asking £4250) said 'make me an offer'. I decided that would depend on his response to 'Has it had the 12000 mile service?' If yes I'd offer £4000, if not £3700-ish. Then went back to vacillating and prevaricating with myself over which should rule, head or heart, sensible or eye candy (those 2014 base models at £5500 are still negotiable). Anyway I got dozy and only went and offered the £4000 without yet having had the reply!!!!! Ah well. Okay, I do know from replies that dealers aren't taking low-ball cash offers, and that on the face of it this is a decent price if I ignore the cost of the big service. So now I need to go get a helmet, organise the cash and arrange collection. My only get out if I decide to back out is that he describes it as a T100SE, which I queried with him a couple of times. He reckons the 2010 T100SE swapped out the spokes for two 17" alloys. I just do not believe that and can find no corroboration on line. It looks like a 900SE to me. So I suppose I could claim 'item not as described' once I see the paperwork does not include 'T100'. But I won't of course. Here is the spec of the beast. Expect to be collecting back end of the week or next weekend. Please join me in praying for sunny Autumn days. Here's the spec.
    FLYSCREEN, IKON FRONT SPRINGS & ADJUSTABLE REAR SHOCKS, TEC 2/1 EXHAUST, O2 SENSORS, AI SYSTEM & AIRBOX BAFFLE PLATES REMOVED, K&N AIR FILTER, PERFORMANCE TUNE EMU REMAP DOWNLOADED, NORMAN HYDE LOW HANDLEBARS, BAR END MIRRORS, PILLION BACKREST, RENNTEC CHROME RACK, CENTRE STAND. 1210/10 plate, 3 previous owners, 12500 miles, MOT 7/16.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well it looks clean enough and you certainly aren't going to have to "mod" it! Have you tried going onto dvla tax checker and put the reg in there, that might tell you if its regd as a t100se or not.

6. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    T100 SE does have the smaller cast spoke wheels, my 2009 SE did :D It's had some of the mods you will really benefit from, looks a nice bike. Stop frettin' start grinning :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    No frettin', jut grinning
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Rich, that's a very nicely specced bike, with the full set of std. engine-related mods so should ride well.

I don't think it's a T100, (as they have chrome cases, T100 stickers on the side covers as std and wire wheels) but as long as you like it what does it matter?

ENJOY !!!

9. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Heh heh heh heh brilliant mate, love cats, specially them that got the cream.

Mine had alloy cases big fella

10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I now see WiseBuyer' Guides I've been using to assess the value of bikes shows exactly the same for the 2010 900 SE as for T100 SE, at retail, private, px and trade. And shows 2010 as the last year for T100 SE before the 2014 MY. That would also explain why one of the other bikes from this period I was looking at on my long list was listed on Ebay as a 900SE but had a TI00 private plate. Anyway, it's 17" front and back I wanted so I'm happy. And fwiw, what I'm paying is a little below WiseBuyers' retail value, and some way above private, which is pretty much what I found for all the Bonnies I found sold on Ebay back through the summer. And forecast for the coming weekend is fine weather. So still grinning.

11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    So next purchase is going to have to be a helmet. I'm tempted by the classic look of open face with Steve McQueen goggles this time round, with a muffler for the breeze. Even if it proves impractical for the colder weather I'll still have it for next year's good weather. Dunno.

12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    your mate was lucky it was a moped not a truck! One thing about open faces is you have a better field of vision but, then, you get plastered by bugs.

13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    True enough about the downsides of open face. Those bugs are a pain near the river in the evenings when out cycling, so would be multi-fold inconvenient on a motorbike. I suppose a white silk scarf in that classic of classic looks would help there - not sure it's that practical though. I used to wear a standard lid, just tempted by the style of the open face.

14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Talking of field of vision, one of the things the skiing accident did was completely blind my left eye. My right is fine enough without glasses, though I do use glasses for watching tv and really small print. So field of vision was a bit of a consideration, though not a clincher.

15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Rich, I ride with an open face helmet all the time and have done for the last ten years. No problems at all.

I wear one of those bike buffs - you could wear it for cycling as well - cost about a tenner. No trouble with bugs as my open face has a sun screen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I'm tempted Dave. I do like the idea of the wider vision given I only have one eye. The Bolle McQueen goggles look very good too. I suppose I could give it a try bringing the bike back on Saturday, 90 miles mostly M6/M1. I won't be in a hurry. And will be £4k lighter in the pocket. My nearest decent bike shop sells the HJC like yours.

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Rich,I'm just not sure how you'll get on with goggles.When I tried them I found it restricted my vision quite a lot, but they were cheap and old fashioned - have a go and see how it works for you.

18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have a flip up which I use if I know its going to be pee-ing down but mostly I use this its a toptek helm2.jpg
    sprayed by myself. A scarf and sunnies and the bugs just get in me ears not in my eyes

helm.jpg
    guess what I ride?

• Like Like x 4
  19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #39 Rich Bryce, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Nice job Crispey. If I do go for the open helmet I'd buy some cheap functional goggles like the Bolle 'McQueen' for £30 which accommodate glasses and then order some motorcycle specific prescription goggles-type glasses. Bolle do some that look pretty neat, as do other brands. In fact you can get the prescription insert put in to the 'McQueen' style. The kids could then use the other goggles for skiing. Btw, contacts and I don't get along together.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    I've got an open faced & a full faced , I use the full face for longer journeys & stuff . I do really like wearing an open face though & its growing on me so I'm tending to wear it more and more