Back on a Bike

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Rich Bryce, Sep 18, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #1 Rich Bryce, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Hi all, in the process of buying a new Bonneville after a 15-year hiatus from riding following a bunch of skiing accidents messed me up. So looking forward to getting a few runs in before Winter kicks in. Local dealer is giving me £300 discount for cash on a base Black (preferred colour) if I don't take the Triumph £600 accessories voucher. But do I buy now or will there be better deals later in Winter?

Going to have to completely kit myself out again - all the old stuff went into charity shops. Pic of my first British bike below. :)

Rich
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Welcome in Rich, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was scared I couldn't stay upright when I got back to biking but once I'd got her out the drive it was as though I hadn't been away! Apart from sore knees stiff back and numb bum, well my mind thought I was 17 again!!
    Oh yes and my bike gear shrunk as well, funny that!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Cheers crispey. I cycle a lot so am well used to the aches and pains of old joints. Not as young as I used to be in that old photo, but younger than I will be tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yo Rich, welcome aboard, nice Norton there me thinks. If yer have bike jumbles near you some good deals on gear I've found. Bonnie's a nice bike SE version smaller wheels if needed. I'm assuming yer mean the T100 and not America etc. Only thing I found with my 2009 version was hard seat! :( As Crispey says, a few miles and smiles and yer will slot straight back in. Good hunting :D Never bought a new bike, so can't help yer there, personally there are lots Bonnies for sale in really good condition, especially if yer were thinking of nice pipes and extras already on. I had Norman Hyde pipes matched to a power commander, it flew after rolling road set up. I'm in a Classic club and a lot of the members were impressed with the bike, and yes, got the back, knees, etc etc ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    @ Rocker, yeah my uncles' '58 Domie iirc. Did my first ton-up (down hill) on the back of that, just before that Kodak moment - who needs a helmet when you've got a thick head, eh? My Dad's family were bikers from Norton-on-Tees and ran Norton bikes (Dad had passed a few years before this though, so not really sure if he did too). And yes on reflection the dealer discount does sound weedy, essentially just their wholesale contribution to the voucher scheme, so no offer at all. Think I'll curb my enthusiasm and go pre-owned and put the saving in the tank. Loads on Ebay to lust over. Being Bonnies you'd imagine pretty much mostly owners who've looked after their pride and joy, and blimey Bonnies do seem to hold their value if dealer asking prices are anything to go by. Got my eyes on a couple of private sale 2014/14 low mileage models, one owner, at the £5500 mark, ending next weekend. Kicking myself I didn't go for a very similar one that was located only 30 miles away and went for a little less. Still, there's still lots out there. I'm avoiding ones that have had multiple owners. Also wondering about a 2011/11 T100 with 3000-odd miles on it that's at a used motorcycle place not far from here, listed for a few hundred pounds less. Going to cycle out and have a look early next week if there's a fine day. See if I can get a better price. Booking a test ride at the dealers too. The anticipation is killing me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    I got £5K for my 2009SE just to give yer an idea 5000 miles on. Only had one Norton (except for a 1st Prize Triton) but it was THE Rocket Gold Star. Fantastic bike, still drool over them. This bike lark never really leaves yer does it heh heh..

7. Bob Woolley

Bob Woolley Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Doncaster
    Hi Rich there are some great Bonnevilles out there, hope you get sorted soon.

8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi Rich, and welcome to the Madhouse!!

The Norton pictured is of the wideline framed variety of Dommie, either an 88 (500cc) or 99 (600cc). I once had an 88 which comprised of a 1960 engine in a 1958 wideline frame, re-registered in 1970 - someone else's rebuild. Total bag o' shite!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Thx for the info Steve. The Norton's reg is VGC 759. That makes it a London registration starting from March 58. The photo looks 1958/59 or '60 maybe. @ Rocker, one of the older bikes I'm watching is a 2010/10 SE. The guy has it listed as a T100SE, but it's def a standard SE, it's got two 17" wheels and no T100 'sticker', and not chromed out. It's been performance-modded out quite a bit, 12,500 miles. He wants £4200. Had five previous owners which gives me pause for thought. Full service history though. Looks nice in the pics. Whereas a 2014/14 v. low mileage can be had for £5500 max. Decisions, decisions.

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    My opinion would be to be careful of a multi owned bike. I know there's a load of low mileage single owned bikes and I suppose if they get sold on they make for a lowish mileage multi owned bike but for very little more you will get a single owned one! That seemed simpler in my head than written down.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    @ crispey, and bearing in mind the x5 multi-owner bike I've been looking at is modded-out for performance and looks I'm thinking perhaps thrashed a tad by one or more of the owners, rather than a sedately gentleman rider. Otherwise it looks nice and price at £4200 is okay for year. Maybe I should make a silly offer. You never know. There's quite a few watching on Ebay so I imagine he's already had a few low offers. But right now am probably more tempted by a couple of 'buy nows' on Ebay at £5500 which end next weekend. Both 2014/14. The train fares to collect are only £2 different. One's covered 350 miles, no extras, but still has outstanding HPI, so I'd need to clear that on collection to be sure it's done. A bit of a hassle. 85 mile return journey on A roads. The other has nearly 2000 miles on the clock, but £600 'worth' of extras (high windscreen, stand, carrier, knee pads) none of which are deal clinchers for me, and would mean a 160 mile motorway and A1 return journey. It's all swing arms and roundabouts. I guess every used-bike buyer has been here before. And I also guess there'll be more newish bikes like these on offer soon as some of those folk who had good intentions but hardly rode out will be thinking of cutting their losses before winter really sets in.

12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Just saw private sale advert for 2009/58 900SE that's only done 130 miles, almost showroom condition. Originally supplied by my local dealer. Wants £5000, next service included. That's only £500 less than the 4 1/2 year younger base model with 350 miles on the clock. But this SE is tempting - with it's added chrome covers it looks a cracker.
    I'm sorely tempted. Garden could with some tlc though.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #13 thebiglad, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Hi Rich and welcome in.

Any of the Bonneville models would suit your requirements by the sound of it,so let patience be your watch word and you'll end up with a cracker. I would argue that prices will be lower within 2 months when the last promises of good weather have vapourised, so hang on to your dough for a bit, is my advice. Although it has to be said that I don't always follow my own advice :oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    They all go blue quickly IF they have the Air Injection system intact (which this one looks to have) especially if they have been left to tick over for a while.

15. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Went looking at Bonne ville yesterday and Scramblers at
    That's a fine old photo - biking in the blood mate. All the best with the Bonnevillle - went looking at new Bonnevillle bikes yesterday at Bill Smiths. Enjoy!

16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Wise advice chaps. @ Dave. I know, I know. But there is still the promise of the odd sunny day this side of Winter in between all these wet ones, and I'm all enthused atm. In fact, just about to go out on by road bicycle for a couple of hours. Re that ultra low mileage 2009 SE, the pic of the log book shows a service stamp in 2012. The ad says he'll pay for the next service and parts if he gets the asking price. I've now spoken to him. He says the dealer said they would put it up for £5000 and give him £4000. So we're now negotiating. I was the first he spoke to. He now has other interest so won't be accepting my offer because he reckons he'll be no better off than if he'd taken the trade-in offer. From the sound of it the bike is in sound condition and just needs riding. Anyone know how much a Triumph dealer would charge for a winter service? You know, oil and stuff. Or is all that stuff I could easily do myself. I'm tempted to make a better offer. Dealers are asking £4500 for similar bikes with miles on the clock (so tyre wear etc) - accepting of course a cash offer can probably do better.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    As a preparation for winter this is what I would do with that bike:

1. Engine oil and filter change;

2. Thoroughly wash both brake callipers with hot, soapy water and allow to dry,blow out with compressed air (if you've it) to ensure dryness ;

3. Change brake fluid;

4. Wash the bike thoroughly, dry and cover with the Scottoiler protection product E85 from memory;

5. Clean and lubricate the chain;

6. Check tyre pressures and top up as necessary;

7. Remove battery and put on a conditioner/charger.

PS. If someone buys a sellers bike instead of them trading in, they should be able to negotiate a better, cash deal. This is the advantage your seller doesn't yet see.

• Like Like x 2
  18. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Great advice big lad, cheers

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Easy peasy to do, just get all the bits in stock first and take your time.

20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Cheers for that Dave. I really do want to try to get some runs in before the really bad weather, hence wanting to get bike this week or so. I am emailing dealers with low ball cash offers in case they want to shift some metal before the buying season ends. As for private sellers it seems to me many look at dealer ticket prices and reckon they can match that. On ebay you see lots that are relisted having failed to attract buyers first time round. There is a natural jealousy at the £1000 mark up on trade/px offer, forgetting dealers then have cash tied up in their showrooms, do full safety checks and basic service etc.