Auxiliary Power Socket Wiring Location?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Al86, May 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Al86

Al86 Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Merseyside
    Hi guys,

I’ve just bought a auxiliary power socket for my 2017 speedy R...Could
    anyone please tell me where the wiring harness is taped too to connect it to? Do I have to look under the fuel tank and the air box (according to my dealer) or
    can I access the wiring harness without having to bother doing that? Just can’t see it, need to be pointed in the right direction...

Help would be appreciated

Cheers

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I think I remember the dealer telling me it is under the right hand side (as you sit on it) panel next to the tank
    Undo the indicator bolt and slide the whole plastic panel bit forward
    I think there is a wire there for the optimate / power connection

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    If this is a Triumph part, go to this site and enter the part number. You should be able to retrieve the detailed installation instructions. Even if it's not a Triumph part, you could look up the Triumph part number and put it in this site to find the wire locations. www.triumphinstructions.com

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    The right hand side connection is used for the heated grips, might be the same connector. If u get right under the bike with a torch you should be able to see a push pin type thing to pop out of the holder, right behind the indicator. Pop out and pull the cover out to connect up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Al86

Al86 Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Merseyside
    Yeah thanks red thunder but the one on the right side is the heated grips connector which I’m already using. (Triumph instructions state) power socket wiring connector is taped to the fuelInjector fair wiring harness under the box

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Al86

Al86 Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Merseyside
    Cheers for your response guys. yeah you’re correct moe, the right side is for the heated grips which I already have in use :) Triumph instructions state: ‘on the left hand side, the power auxiliary socket wiring connector is taped to the fuel injector rail harness under the airbox’ Just seeing if anyone has located it and wired it Up before and and whether I do actually have to remove the fueltank and air box to access? As I can’t see it by the naked eye (but then again I’m not the most observant person ahaa)

Cheers everyone for your help :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    It's a bit tricky to spot, but on my 2017 Speed R it was attached to the wiring harness with a bit of bright blue tape which makes it easy to spot once you know what you're looking for! It's on the left hand side but quite well buried, and the connector has a clear plastic cover on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Al86

Al86 Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Merseyside
    Thank you MattP! So you didn’t have to remove the fuel tank and air box? I’m guessing you were able to access it from the left side when you know what you’re looking for!

Cheer again

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    No, no need to remove anything other than the side panel. Like I said, it's not the easiest thing to spot, it took me ten minutes with a very bright LED torch!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Al86

Al86 Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Merseyside
    Cheers buddy! I’ll give it a look at today :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Let us know how you get on
    My aux socket has turned up today so I will be fitting it over the weekend
    Glad you asked about this as I would be trying to connect it to the heated grips connection!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Let us know how you get on
    My aux socket has turned up today so I will be fitting it over the weekend
    Glad you asked about this as I would be trying to connect it to the heated grips connection!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Just in case someone's looking for it on a later bike, this connector is not there on the 2018 Speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    and if anyone wants a switched 12v on a 2013 to 2015 that spare plug that hangs under the injector rail is the one for you. It’s there to activate a solenoid for the US market for emissions. Just need the appropriate connector and you’re good to go.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Al86

Al86 Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Merseyside
    Hi red thunder, yeah it’s defiantly on the left side. Just look through the engine near nearish the air box and it’s taped to another black wire. (look for two wires attached to each other using blue tape) that’s this dead give away! It has a black connector end with clear plastic wrapped around which you have to remove. I’ll send you a picture over the weekend if you’re struggling..when back from work

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Daniel Wright

Daniel Wright Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Cannock, Staffordshire
    Yes did mine last year on a 2011 bonneville America took my tank off but no need it on the left hand side under the tank above the fuel injection units, the blue tape is the give away.
    Enjoy the forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    This might help if your fitting one

• Like Like x 1
  19. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    is it switched or live all the time

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Not sure, I haven't got anything I can plug into it yet lol (it's a hella socket, not a car type socket)
    I'm pretty sure it's switched

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1