Armband Case For Security Gate

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Notso, Apr 15, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Anyone got any good solutions for security gate passes?

When I get to the security gate at work I generally have to fumble around looking for my id pass that opens the gate whilst a queue of people late for work collect behind me. I have now bought three different armband cases. Two were too small for the id pass, which is about the size of a credit card. One fits the id pass but only just fits over my bike jacket but is too tight to be practical.

I figured I can't be the only one that has a security gate on their commute, anyone got a neat solution?

2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    How about a lanyard with an extending line (I think they're called yo-yo's).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  4. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I have exactly what @Helmut Visor has linked to, attach it to the zip pull in my jacket pocket so I can then just let it go once the barrier is open and it doesn't matter if I drop it. It works brilliantly - stops the fumbling for the pass with the jeopardy of dropping it with people behind you and stops the barrier closing by the time you get it back into your pocket o_O.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I wondered if having a velcro-backed case might be the solution - guess it would be if you had a spare patch of velcro on your jacket, then it could be just a case of pulling it off to open the gate and slapping it back on to ride through. Might work and they are available :-

https://www.cyclaireshop.co.uk/knif...vZ4hLUBBIZuWl_wqMRRjUlWwclfZfEpBoCfDYQAvD_BwE

Then I thought about an alternative that wouldn't involve anything other than, perhaps, a swipe of the arm :-

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany....fbN1Lzfk9qCer2HFGP55PKcnkf8U2A7BoC9gMQAvD_BwE

A LOT cheaper; wouldn't need anything 'tearing off' or 'sticking back on' - just wear it round your arm for the journey in; wave your arm at the sensor and (hopefully) - you're done.

Seems pretty apposite that they call it the "Supreme TTF Yellow Security Armband" don'cha think?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    A guy at work had a pair of gloves with an extended cuff, not quite full gauntlets but they had a small zipped pouch in each cuff. He put his ID pass/proximity card in his left glove and it worked a treat. I've no idea what make the gloves were though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Perhaps they were heated gloves with a battery pocket. I have some Racer gloves like that and they'd certainly take a credit card.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Ah, that makes sense. I was trying to work out how to use it. I wouldn't to have it flapping about on the motorway, but once on site at low speed it wouldn't be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Some good ideas here thanks, going to give them a go and see what works best for me and my kit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Exactly, it's all tucked away until you get to work. Once I am through the barrier the car park I use is the first one so it's no issue if I don't get it back into my pocket.