Featured Arizona Bike Week 2022: Let The Rallies Begin!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Apr 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1 Sandi T, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    After a two year Covid-induced hiatus, Arizona Bike Week celebrated its 25th Anniversary in Phoenix last week. Mr. Sandi and I and three of our riding buddies rode up Saturday just for the day. "Rally Central" for AZ Bike Week is always at an event venue called West World (not to be confused with the TV series--thankfully). The last rallies we attended were in 2019--Sturgis in August and Las Vegas Bike Fest in October. It was awesome to be at a motorcycle rally again! This first photo is what the tabletops were in the tent where we had lunch. :joy:
    IMG_8389.jpeg

Our group met up around 8:30am for the two-hour ride up to West World. The bulk of the ride there from Tucson is fairly straight and flat and is a route we've done scores of times. Once you enter the Phoenix metro area it's balls to the wall (so to speak) and hang on for dear life. We move into the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicles) "car pool" lane as soon as we're able and just stick together and jam. Even going 80-80mph, many other vehicles pass you like you're dawdling along. We've ridden through Phoenix on the freeways many times over the years and it takes a good hour at those speeds to get all the way across. This time it was only about half as long to get to our destination.
    IMG_8133.jpeg

At the entrance to West World there was a photographer and camera station complete with a digital time stamp contraption. I noticed that we rode through right about 10:30am which came in handy later when we went to the rally photos booth where you could view your photo and purchase one if you wished. We hadn't been to a rally in nearly 2 1/2 years so I figured "what the heck?" and splurged and bought one for Mr. Sandi, our friend on the BMW GS, and myself. The other two guys had already bought theirs earlier in the day.

I actually took this photo to work this past week. I was talking with a group of kids I work with about what we'd each done over the weekend. I said that I rode my motorcycle up to Phoenix and one little guy blurted out, "Girls don't ride motorcycles!" All the other kids and I looked at him like he was crazy. I said, "Well, I ride one and I'm a girl." Then I asked him why he thought that. He responded with "Well, my mom doesn't ride a motorcycle. And my girlfriend doesn't ride a motorcycle. My auntie doesn't ride one either." You should have seen the look on his face when I showed him the photo a couple of days later. :joy::joy::joy: But the best thing was the look on the little girls' faces when they saw the photo. Riders of the future, perhaps? :)
    IMG_8402 2.jpeg

Here's the map in the rally program showing the lay of the land at West World. There's a huge tent on the property and some of the big, famous auto auctions such as Barrett-Jackson are held there each year.
    IMG_8407.jpeg

One of our buddies wanted to stop at a Phoenix Harley dealership for their pancake breakfast on the way to the rally. He asked who else might be interested but there were no takers. So our first order of business was to get him food. :joy: He gets pretty "hangry" when he hasn't eaten. And he had skipped breakfast thinking there'd be pancakes. So we pretty much got him (and ourselves) food at the first place we saw...not the best of ideas. :sob:
    IMG_8375.jpeg

But the ice cream afterwards made up for it. :yum
    IMG_8243.jpeg

The weather was fairly windy and warm but the rally organizers had planned for that with several tent setups which made for good people watching and music listening.
    IMG_8399.PNG

That's Mr. Sandi and BMW buddy in the Champion and So What tee-shirts respectively.
    IMG_8321.jpeg

IMG_8241.jpeg

However, once I saw this guy ride by our tent, I was off to look for the "Baddest Bagger" competition which I was certain was where he was headed.
    IMG_8150.jpeg

CONTINUED........

• Like Like x 12
  2. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #2 Sandi T, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    AZ Bike Week 2022 continued:

And I was right. His bike was sandwiched in between two other entries when I located the show in the center of the rally grounds.
    IMG_8187.jpeg

Most of the bikes seemed to be part of the "bagger" competition but there were a few others of a different style. We didn't stick around long enough to know who had won.
    IMG_8179.jpeg

Not all of the "big wheel" baggers are Harleys as evidenced by this Victory.
    IMG_8191.jpeg

I'm a bit surprised that the "big wheel" craze is still around. This woman's bike was really cool. I heard her say "everything on it is me". I don't know if she built it herself or if she hired a builder to customize it for her. At any rate, this bike is part of the newest bagger trend, "performance baggers". There's even bagger racing now. Check out this link.

IMG_8207.jpeg

A few of the non-bagger show bikes
    IMG_8209.jpeg

This was a wild, wild west bike! It even had stirrups for highway pegs. :joy:
    IMG_8213.jpeg

IMG_8221.jpeg

This bike had was marked "Arizona Bike Week Best Hardcore". I'd say it's hardcore! And hard-tailed, too! :eek::joy:
    IMG_8365.jpeg

IMG_8363.jpeg

This little guy seemed to be enjoying the show--and the sun--and the attention--very much! I overheard his owner telling someone that his goggles are called Doggles. :)
    IMG_8199.jpeg

CONTINUED...

• Like Like x 9
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #3 Sandi T, Apr 14, 2022
    In addition to gawking at motorcycles, there were all sorts of other activities going on at Rally Central. :grinning:

There were three stunt bike riders (motocross riders?) doing aerials off a board ramp onto an inflatable ramp. :eek:
    IMG_8275.jpeg

There was the Wall of Death which had shows scheduled every few hours or so. I'd have loved to have seen it but it was super busy (not at the moment of this photo however) and Mr. Sandi and I had already seen a Wall of Death show when we were at the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show in Austin Texas about four years ago. It's an absolute hoot and if you haven't seen it and you get the opportunity, I highly recommend it!
    IMG_8370.jpeg

Or if axe throwing is more your style, you could spend a little time and money doing that.
    IMG_8329.jpeg

And follow it up with a cigar at this Airstream mobile cigar bar
    IMG_8352.jpeg

Shopping for clothing is always "interesting" at motorcycle rallies! :joy:
    IMG_8161.jpeg

IMG_8229.jpeg

Or you could meet--or ride sidecar with--the "celebrity" tiger from the Law Tigers Motorcycle Accident Law Firm that is always a major presence (and major sponsor) at motorcycle events.
    IMG_8307.jpeg

IMG_8382.jpeg

And why not visit Hell('s Kitchen) while you're at it? :imp:
    IMG_8242.jpeg

I'm sure that many rally goers topped off their day with the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert to be held this evening. It would have been fun to go but none of us wanted to pay top dollar for nearby hotels just to get up and ride two hours home in the morning. Skynyrd plays a lot of motorcycle rallies regularly including Sturgis. Mr. Sandi and I saw them at the Laughlin River Run around May 2017 or so. It was an outdoor concert and a really cool experience. :cool::)
    IMG_8247.jpeg

CONTINUED... (just one more post :joy:)

• Like Like x 10
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    In addition to the motorcycles entered in the Bike Show, there were lots of interesting bikes that were part of or just parked by the many vendors displaying their wares--from clothing to parts to services (more lawyers!)--and even a booth advertising and signing people up for "The High Seas Rally--The World's Only Biker Rally on a Cruise Ship"! :joy: I kid you not.....
    IMG_8286.jpeg

IMG_8223.jpeg

Those Law Tigers folks always have something unique on display.
    IMG_8251.jpeg

I thought the paint job on this bike--and matching helmet--was stunning. I'm not sure about it's appropriateness, though.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8

IMG_8234.jpeg

Another unusual paint job that caught my eye
    IMG_8254.jpeg

Like I said, those Law Tigers folks always have something out of the ordinary at their booths!
    IMG_8249.jpeg

And it wasn't really the bike that caught my eye at this vendor booth as much as the name of the company. Another "flag bike", though. Hmmm...
    IMG_8302.jpeg

After a caffeine fix we headed out of the rally gates to find our bikes in the parking lot and head back to Tucson. Two of our buddies opted to ride to Scottsdale Harley-Davidson which is only a few miles from West World. But Mr. Sandi and our BMW buddy and I decided to go straight home. We found out later from our friends that Scottsdale H-D was so packed that they couldn't even get into the parking lot so they turned around and rode home, too.
    IMG_8245.jpeg

IMG_8394.jpeg

A nice day all the way around! We left the house at 8:00am and arrived back in our garage at 4:30pm. Ellie, the Boxer now recognizes the sound of our bikes as we near the house and was there to greet us when we arrived. :heart_eyes: It felt so good to be back at a motorcycle rally surrounded by all things motorcycle including the people who love all things motorcycle! I've always loved every rally we've ever attended but now, having missed them due to the pandemic, I truly appreciate the experience all the more. :heart: IMG_8398.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #5 Ducatitotriumph, Apr 15, 2022
    Thanks @Sandi T for the brilliant writing as usual!
    Almost like being there and yes, nice to see things opening up/out again.
    Not sure about the bike show on a cruise ship or even who thought of that idea? I think it probably involved jd and boredom?
    Anyway, i'm going to organise a triumph get together on the ISS.....
    Advance tickets available..... POA....... ;):)
    Once again, thanks!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Ducatitotriumph
    Thanks, Simon! Glad you enjoyed the rally vicariously. :) Yes, it felt good to be out and about (especially outdoors...still) and to see others doing the same. :cool: Yeah, who thought up having a biker rally on a cruise ship?! :joy: I guess if the ship was one of those gargantuan ones they might be able to build a track of some sort on board so you could actually ride a bit. Might be fun--or certainly challenging--to do that in rough seas. :p I really should find the organization online to learn a bit more out of curiosity.

image.png

image.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I was looking through my Arizona Bike Week photos again this morning and saw a few more that I thought I'd share! There are so many interesting things that catch my eye and make me smile--and often laugh!--at motorcycle rallies. :)

IMG_8154.jpeg

Well, this does seem a tad extreme. But I have to admit that I do feel like this sometimes!

IMG_8334.jpeg

Misspelled but instantly recognizable, especially to bikers :cool:

IMG_8171.jpeg

Why not just bring your stereo with you?? :joy:

IMG_8313.jpeg

The wild, wild west at its best...or at least silliest :rolleyes:

IMG_8232.jpeg

Motorcycle rallies certainly bring out the best painters--who really are artists in my book
    IMG_8293.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Thanks for the write up and photos, looked like a fun day

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Dougie D
    You're welcome, Dougie. :) Glad you enjoyed it. It was terrific fun and it felt good to be immersed in "moto-culture" again. Mr. Sandi and I are hopeful that Las Vegas Bike Fest will be back in action in the fall but so far there's no news on that. And I suspect this might be an instance where "no new is good news" doesn't hold true. We have some friends who are going to Sturgis but that's too much time away from both work and the dog for Mr. Sandi and me to do again at this point. So I'm on the hunt for more rallies in the future that are within reasonable riding distance from us--a day or two but not three or four like Sturgis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Are you sure you're not JK Rowling. Your write ups are always such a great read, the pictures everything just flows. The quality of the bikes is another thing that always amazes me. The ideas in peoples heads, and their ability to transfer them into what you see here, is just remarkable. Thanks again for taking the time to post these for us. And the best part is that the season has only just begun:):)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Bikerman! I wish I was JK Rowling...or at least had her bank account. ;):joy::joy::joy:

I completely agree with you about being amazed by the quality of the bikes. It's so cool to me how people can envision a bike--build, paint, the whole picture--and then bring it to life. It is truly, as you said, remarkable. I'm happy to take the time to post and am glad that there are folks here like you who enjoy both the photos and stories that I love to share. :kissing_heart: And yes, hurray, the season has only just begun!! :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Wow. Normality resumes….Thanks for the report Sandi.
    Not sure I fancy the Cruise Ship Bike Rally after my recent cruise ship experience…
    My form of normality is going to come tomorrow hopefully.The first round of the British Superbike championship at Silverstone. Only about 40 miles away along great roads. Early start and meet up with a biking buddy for breakfast at The Super Sausage and then onto the circuit. Weather looks good which is unusual for Silverstone.. It is usually refrigerated there at this time of year as it is an old Airfield circuit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Fantastic @Sandi T what a great trip you have had. I’m not at all jealous lol:):)
    Thanks for posting.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T /Steve
    You are just to great and how do you do it so well your stories are out of this world. Now I admit with my Tracy being ill i have not read the story fully but I will as your write ups are so fantastic and detailed. I said it before it feel like i am right there with you. Can't wait to get more time to have a good read.
    Love you all
    Brother Joe:cool::kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Thanks @Sandi T for the superb write up and photos (as ever - you never let us down!!). There are some amazing bikes out there, that's for sure!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I don't blame you for shying away from the cruise ship scene now, @Oldskool! :scream::joy:

Your rideout to the British Superbike championship at Silverstone tomorrow sounds awesome. Please share some photos and commentary if you would. And have a great time! :grinning::sun:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    #17 Markus, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    @Sandi T: Thanks for the great stories and the unbelievable pictures. I'm a bit sad, because I will never see such bikes "live" here in Austria. Due to the regulations here. I hope my wife and I will have the opportunity to see them on a holiday trip to your country in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    #18 Bikerman, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    @Markus get yourself to Glemseck in Leonburg near Stutgart for the Glemseck 101, 2nd to 4th September www.glemseck101.de You'll love it, it's a great weekend event, been 3 times now. Not far for you if you can make it. It's no Sturgis or Arizona bike week, but they do have some fantastic custom bikes to see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    One of my mottos in life has become “and never say never “, Markus! I’ll bet somebody you will have a chance!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    That was a really great write up. One or two people may have mentioned that already but I’ll lend my voice to theirs. I could almost feel the Arizona sunshine…

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1