Apparently Yamaha don't make a diesel motorbike

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hogster, Nov 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    Yep went and filled up with derv, thinking I was putting those corrosion eating fishes fuel in. Needless to say I did not too far up the road, not a great start to my winter biking season!

2. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Stoke-on-Trent
    I've almost done this myself. I ALWAYS use super fuel as both Benelli and Guzzi use plastic tanks and ethanol eats them.

Pulled up to the pump, Supreme Diesel... and Ive gone to pick the nozzle up before I realised...!

3. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    A mate did the same thing a couple of weeks ago,first time in 35 years.
    Didn't half smoke well when he tried to start it

4. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    I blame age when these things happen.:) Royal Enfield do a good diesel if thats the way you want to go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    I love those Royal Enfields.. Just look and sound a complete weapon.. Apart from here we pay double the price for a restored one (If they come on sale)
    Such a shame!

6. OnlySon

OnlySon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Scotland. UK
    That's a bummer man. I'm kinda lucky as I have only ever owned one diesel car (a long time ago) so the green nozzle is an automatic choice for me.

7. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    India have done a good job on these Enfields if you want value for money a good looking old style bike without the old problems buy a new Enfield, built like a gun.

8. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Yes, and they seem reasonably priced too? My local dealer has a good few.
    Shame ours have to meet all this emissions stuff as there's are so much cheaper!

9. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Diesel in the cars super unleaded in the bike. But I have to think about it and read the pump twice. Age is definitely the issue and I'm a young un on this forum :p:p:D.
    Andy

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup, I almost put diesel in Tracey not so long ago. Put the nozzle in the tank but hadn't selected pay at pump or kiosk, realised my mistake when I went to do it. Made me all weak at the knees it did!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    We have a van, pick up & car all diesel! A few years ago a put petrol in the wifes Honda Civic then drove 60 miles home with no problems, the next day she only made the end of the road, new fuel pump at £1,000 required!! Still to this day she likes to say 'you need petrol' within a nanosecond of the fuel light coming on, it messes with your head after a while I am sure of it.

12. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi PhilB a biker friend of mine has a 2015 Royal Enfield 500 efi and when we go out for rides it really surprises me how quick it is (but not top end) and he certainly gets alot of admirers saying what a excellent job he has done restoring it, Hello my 2006 bike is older and don't even get a mention or any interest.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Ditto my non mechanical minded wife always says petrol for diesel, thank god I am in charge of filling the cars with fuel.

14. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    #14 Andy_S, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    And paying for the fuel, if it's like ours. I fill them up, I pay, I drive mine.
    Andy

15. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    #15 Hogster, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Yam is back with no adverse issues, funnily enough I read a MCN review of the XJ600 which said its the 'Astra diesel of the motor bike world' guess that stuck in my mind!

Have not been on a bus in years but now used one to collect from buyer, one from garage, one to garage to collect bike, hoping this is not a sign of things to come with a 23 year old bike! Surprising how expensive buses are are too!

16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Used to run a Ford Puma, missus had a Discovery, twice I put petrol in the diesel !!!
    First time, it munched the fuel pump and second time I got away with it, as only drove a couple of miles before realising and stopped, brimmed the tank with diesel and put a pint of 20w50 oil in the tank.

Mate of mine did it in his diesel X5 BMW - £3000 repair bill :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

We're all diesel cars and petrol bikes, so easy to remember now.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I put a full tak of petrol in my Volvo diesel.

I have a discovery now and it's supposed to stop you from putting petrol in it. Some sort of flap is meant to come down if you insert a petrol nozzle in.

18. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Women are not stupid are they, I even clean her car as well.

19. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Shame they don't make a fist that comes out and punches you in the nuts that would stop you doing a misfill.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    As do I, as do I....:(:(
    Andy

• Like Like x 1