Anyone With Spare Pennies Please Help Charlie

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Oct 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Sorry, I misread your post, but the sentiments remain the same. Give your son a big pat on the pack for me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    JTC.
    Of course I will. He know that all the forum members are right there with him. Would like to do the run but i have had so many ops on my legs for leaking veins i don't think i could do a mile anymore.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Joe, I know that I cannot speak for everyone or profess to presume things but i'm 100% certain that all of us on here wish charlie and yourself nothing but the utmost love and best wishes.
    I can’t possibly comprehend what all of that must feel like and tbh, I wish I had half of you and charlie's strength and courage.
    Personally , I'm coming down there to cheer you on (14th nov, on the trumpet, fuck the weather).
    You will hear the sound of the tripe egging you on!
    I hope you don’t mind me asking but what sort of time for the kick off? I just want to be there if thats ok with you?
    No worries if not as we'll all understand you may not want anyone.
    Personally , I think some guys on here would like to see a guy in lycra a bit too much!!! (joking!)
    :):):)

• Like Like x 4
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ducatitotriumph
    Thanks mate you are the tops. But I must confess its not me running its my son Steven. My running days are all gone. But I will look for you and any others there. And you are right about the peeps on here are as much as family and I know every one will egg my boy on. I will get as much info as I can. You know I have put the same request on four forums i use and this is the only one that responded. God Bless you All.
    Thankyou so much.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 5
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ducatitotriumph
    Just had this mail from my boy sorry it probably won't be possible to attend. But we will get together soon.
    As for Charlie’s journey tell people to follow the page https://www.facebook.com/charlieilsleyUK/ on Facebook. He has just had his first lot of treatment but there are lovely videos of him over the weekend enjoying a swim and the sun before being bed bound for the two weeks of intense treatment. They put updates every couple of hours that anyone is welcome to follow
    I hope that helps.
    Steven

Sent from my iPhone

On 13 Oct 2020, at 17:23, steven mcdonald <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Dad,
    That’s really kind of them, however to be honest due to covid rule of 6 I can’t have people there even if they were staying away if the management at dorney lake were to find out they could stop me doing it and I’d be stuffed. I appreciate there offer though.
    I will be running the event around dorney lake 16.5 times to a total of 52.4 miles in under 10 hours which means I’ll need to run at a pace of less than 12 minute miles. My feet will bleed, my nipples will bleed, past 30 miles my kidneys will almost stop functioning under the stress, I will not physically be able to consume enough calories to sustain the amount I will be burning. Electrolytes in the body will be depleted so even taking salt tablets every few miles will not prevent the cramps. Past 40 miles and my body will stop being able to regulate its temperature there is a risk of a type of hyperthermic shock. 96% of ultramarathon runners have a high level of troponin which indicates heart damage when they start to approach the 50 mile mark.
    So it’s no mean feat it’s tough, mainly mental, whether the person is willing to push through the pain. I will send updates and create a video, but unfortunately I only have Ash and a few select friends who will be running sections with me to keep me at the right pace and time making sure I don’t burn out. Also sorting my food and drink stops. I’d love to have support there but it just won’t be possible due to the restrictions.
    Steven

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Bloody hell mate! I’ve ran to the co-op once (300 yds) so I can understand how he’s going to be...,,
    Seriously, what a fantastic family and our (all of the triumph family here) are with you all. Without doubt.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ducatitotriumph
    Good on you mate. My boy is pretty fit and into sport in a big way. I just told him if I can pace make for a few laps i will happily do it. But we will have that meet up soon as I would like to say thankyou. Well I would like to say thankyou to all my Brothers and Sisters here who found it in their hearts to help this lad they don't even know. That what makes you people so different and helpful and caring. I am honoured to part of this great community that really I am not fit to be or deserve to be.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 2
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Done, Joe. Wishing Charlie and his family and your son, Steven all the best. :heart: It gives me hope for our species seeing people like Steven doing what he's doing for those in need like Charlie and his family.:kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    Thanks so much. Steven said thanks aswel. Sandi you are yourself an inspiration to others and you in the group makes it a world worth fighting for.
    Joe:kissing_heart::cool::heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Done.
    There but for the grace of God go I.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Donation sent. My grandson is 5 years old and is very, for which we're very grateful - couldn't bear it if he was ill.
    Thinking of Charlie's family and sincerely hope Charlie's treatment goes well.
    Go Steve !

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    sorry - should have read "very healthy"

• Like Like x 2
  13. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Sorry to bring negativity, but this has been gnawing at me since I read it yesterday so I just have to vent it . . .
    What human being makes the decision to stop treating a child's cancer based on other people getting sick? Somewhere there's a person that made that decision. I wonder if he/she would make the same decision if it were their child. :mad::mad::mad:
    I apologize again, but the more I think about it the angrier I get.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Pegscraper
    Thankyou from the bottom of my heart. You peeps are the best in the world. You know that is what is so phenomenal about this Forum and the patrons. Like said before I contacted four forums i am a member of well this is the only forum caring enough to help. If God doesn't I bless you all.
    Joe.

15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    New T120 ( Steve )
    Thanks so much yes i hope the power coming from this forum and members help Charlie along his perilous journey to a happy healthy future.
    Joe.

16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    New T120
    Yes I knew that's what you meant. Thankyou.
    Joe

17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    JTC
    Yes I agree. It is all wrong and so unfair. Yes as a parent and grandparent I know how I would feel. I have vented my words on my beloved Tracy. She explained that perhaps it a treatment that is not available here. And the procedure may be that we don't have a Physician capable of such a procedure. I really don't know mate but it stinks.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  18. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ducatitotriumph.
    Little update as family I have agreed to do some of the pace making and ensure he drinks and eats to keep him alert. His wife is also pace making for him. He said it really means every thing to him that you care enough to want to attend. Tracy my better half is going to video as much as she possibly can if there is no professionals there and we will share well she will share as i am useless at that stuff.
    God Bless
    Joe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Done. £40 in. Well done Joe.

Beerman

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Beerman
    I thank you so very much. You know I really only meant spare pocket money and the people on this forum have gone way out there. I am so proud to be a member. Like I said I tried the very same message on four bike forums I am a member of. This is the only club that even bothered to answer. You are all Fantastic caring people and to donate so much. I stand in awe and am speechless and that doesn't happen often.
    God Bless you and all the peeps here.

• Like Like x 3