Vintage Tiger Anyone Upgraded The Cluster Back Lights To Led's?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Clazzer, May 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clazzer

Clazzer Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    as the title says, noticed the current bulbs give off less light than a tea light candle and on my previous box with wheels I upgraded all of the interior and exterior bulbs to LED's and was wondering if this was an option or if anyone has done this. Checked them in a dark garage and they're dimmer than some of my trainees at work! (And some of them are that dim they put hacksaw blades in backwards :neutral:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Check out the past threads. I read one , a while ago, about this upgrade. It was done on a Scrambler, but still the same info. It even had a link to where he bought his LED's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Indicators, rear light, side lamps and headlights and off cause the spotlights are all LED on my Tigger 1050. The headlights are meant to be 35 watts but they seem a lot brighter than stated on the box. My headlight LED have fans fitted to the rear of them and the back covers fit without any mods. One highlight i would mention is as for the indicators you will need resistors and a flasher relay unit meant for LED bulbs. All the others were plug and play. Am not changing the clock bulbs to LED as they will be too bright at night

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You obviously don’t have a 955 Daytona then ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    What LED's did you use for the headlights? I am interested as their output is poor, as we all know, and a HID just exacerbates the dark spots so was wondering if you found a good improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Or the T595 either! ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    The LED are Philips H7 and H9 in 6000 LM They are a lot better than the standard candles. They do light the edges of the road better but i have found when using standard Halogens the light beams fade in the distance whilst there is a defendant cut off line with the LED. For 15 to 20 foot in front of the bike, The area is lite up with full beam it just makes the area a little brighter. So far no one has flashed me for the headlights being too bright or blinding oncoming traffic. Unlike HID, LED has no delay when turned on. One thing i would say, they are not as good as motorbikes that have LED fitted as standard.

I can't understand the comments i haven't got a T595 or a 955 is there a problem fitting LED to these models?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    There’s no problem, it’s just the standard clock lighting is rubbish on these bikes and not good even at night

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Just to be clear ..... that's clock AND idiot lights. Which aren't clear as standard! :D

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Might check out superbrightleds.com for the small stuff. Lots of LED headlight conversions out there. I have only tried one, but did not care for it. Might have been better if I had changed the whole assembly and not just the bulb. ...J.D.

12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It’s mainly the clocks but the idiot lights do benefit from an upgrade

• Useful Useful x 1