Touring Anyone Toured Norway?

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Oct 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #1 Dougie D, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Been checking out Norway for a bike tour for possibly 2019 the roads and scenery look amazing and the weather on the west coast is not as bad as I’d thought it would be, but unfortunately there isn’t a ferry from the Uk. I would need to get the ferry to Amsterdam then ride through Holland,Germany,Denmark and Sweden before arriving in Norway,or would it be a better idea to get the ferry from Kiel in Germany over to Oslo and back which would save over 1400 miles, has anyone used this ferry? I’ve already made a route in Norway going up the coast taking the E6,E134,41,E39,15, E39,653,61,E39, as far north as Trondheim then heading back south E6,27,E6,33,E16. Total mileage from Amsterdam and back if I were to ride all through the various countries would be approx. 4000 miles (not including journey to and from ferry in Newcastle) if i were to take the ferry from Germany to Norway and back (if it wasn’t too expensive) would cut the journey down to about 2600 miles meaning I go further north in Norway (Trondheim looks only about a ¼ of the way up!) any advice would be grateful

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Not done it myself but was speaking to a mate who recently did a tour of Norway and raved about it, all except the cost of a new rear tyre, £280 :eek: He did over 4000 miles with his missus on the back so even starting with a brand new tyre it would be all abouts done after that mileage. Everyone was polite and friendly, he highly recommended it.

3. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    £7.50 for 1/2 lt Beer, Nuff said.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    :eek: i've heard the tap water is good and it's free;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dougie, what about this ferry line direct to Norway :

https://www.freightlink.co.uk/knowledge/how-do-i/uk-norway

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    No it's a good idea HT. It'll help towards tyres too

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep as previously said just go do it, it is a fantastic place to ride. We went from Newcastle to Stavanger and then rode through Norway, Sweden and back through Denmark to Esjberg to get the ferry over to Harwich. The Newcastle ferry does not run now so not sure what the best route would be to get there. Good luck with the planning and let us know how you get on.
    Wessa

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    International van rental? rent one to get there and one to get home Just a thought

9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    cheers Bikerman,I'll look into the Hytter's, i didn't realize the speed limit was only 50mph though,not ideal if i were to take my speed triple:confused: but if i had too i could sit all day at that speed on my Harley:cool: just looked at my proposed route and Geiranger is on it :)

10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    That would be a good idea:)..who wants to come with me! i can supply the ramp,tie downs... oh and the van!;)

11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    even cheaper if 12 of you went in a minibus

12. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    This could be your solution Dougie. Drop you bike off in Manchester and collect it in Oslo.

http://www.eurobiketrans.co.uk/norwegian-motorcycle-transport/

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    When???

14. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Sounds interesting, I'd be up for that

15. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
  16. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    no date set yet, but sometime in 2019 June,July or August would be the best time weather wise,i don't fancy going when it's freezing! although no doubt it will be more expensive then,i quite fancy the idea of riding all the way to Norway via Germany Denmark and over those long bridges to Sweden, then on the way home getting the ferry from Oslo to Germany which takes 20 hours,no idea how much it is as they don't tell you on the web site you have to call them, taking the van like HT suggested might be an idea as would Roosters suggestion of getting the bike driven over from Manchester in a truck and collecting it in Oslo..I'll have to look into all the options and check out prices.i'm imagining i will need at least a fortnight for the whole journey

17. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    All ideas considered!!

18. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Been there back in 2003 on my ST1300 Pan Euro and used the fiordline ferry Newcastle to Stavanger, ?, and then up the coast to Bergen were we disembarked.
    Lovely country somewhat expensive as others have said.

Just like Scotland, the scenery and it can rain a lot ;):)

Would I go again, yes deffo.

19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Yep i checked the price for the van from immingham to Norway and if 2 people were to go in the van the total price would be £826 each way (if it was just 1 person it would be £706 each way!) so it seems for every extra person it is only another £120.00 each way. the ferry takes 45 hours:eek: and they only sail twice a week leaving about 5am, i asked the guy about storing the van for a couple of weeks but you are unable to do that although he did say he could help me find somewhere, but he didn't know how much that would cost..so it will work out cheaper (if 2 people go) than either riding or taking the van to germany to get the ferry to Oslo as by bike it's £676 return per person or if taking the van it's £761 per person even if there are 2 people in the van! So it looks like the best option for me is to get a return ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and ride up to Norway then on the way home possibly get the ferry back from Oslo to Germany for £338..whatever way i decide it's going to work out bloody expensive:eek: still to check out prices for accomodation yet and i believe fuel is much more expensive too:rolleyes:

20. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Would a car and trailer be cheaper maybe?