Anyone Fitted A Madstad Windscreen ?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by cliverdee, Nov 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

V rod :)with a screen :confused:
    Glad he took it off :cool:

2. Cyril77

Cyril77 New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Ireland
    I was just about to pull the trigger on a Madstad myself for my T120 and I am glad I came across your review here. I have tried a similarly adjustable screen by MRA and it was also causing bad buffeting, I had to have it angled at 45 degrees for it not to cause buffeting and that just looked ridiculous. It took some wind off my chest like that, but the helmet was fully exposed to wind / rain. https://www.mrashop.de/com/model-based-products/aprilia/125-classic/alle-bj/5151/vario-screen-naked-bike-varioscreen-for-naked-bikes-vnb-all-years?c=90003929

The MRA screen is also about 20" tall and 17" wide so I was hoping a 22" or even a 24" Madstad might do the trick for me (according to their website I should get a 20 inch one for my 5'11'' height). However this will mean I won't be able to see over the screen as recommended, and that will lead to not seeing a thing when it rains (and I'm in Ireland, so that's often enough).

The only thing I can think is maybe the bottom fork mounted wing deflectors that you can add on will help somehow? And how tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

3. Cyril77

Cyril77 New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Ireland
    How do you like the screen, I presume you got it in the meanwhile? And how tall are you please?

4. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, I’m 5’11” so the 20” screen is the correct size Madstad.. . I doubt the bigger size would work any better and probably only increase wind noise...as well as being too tall to see over the top for when it rains. The lower wind deflectors are just too expensive to buy on the off chance that they dramatically improve things, so for me it’s the end of throwing good money after bad. I contacted Madstad and HPS, the U.K. supplier for advice, sending photos and description of the issues but neither could be bothered to even reply... which of course would have been a great opportunity for them to have recommended the lower deflectors. I now think the classic styled bikes just don’t respond well to slabs of plastic attached to them so would only fit my Madstad for a trip where I couldn’t avoid having to travel at Motorway speeds... tucking in low behind the screen and putting up with excessive wind noise and discomfort...not really the best !... I’ve found the optimum position for the screen is at its lowest height with a slight tilt upright but it really is only best of a range of worse options. Although I found the Madstads transform the Tiger 800s into a perfect ride at any speed, the Madstad I fitted to a Harley Road Glide was surprisingly rubbish... that one only worked reasonably in reducing buffeting by positioning it so high you looked through the screen. At least you could lower it with one hand to see over the top for when it rained. So I’m afraid I can’t suggest a satisfactory solution and probably would swap the bike if fast long haul tours were my intention. Interesting topic :confused:

5. Cyril77

Cyril77 New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Ireland
    Okay, thanks for the reply and info! I think you're right: a naked bike like the T120 just doesn't do well with a screen, at least not at our height. I've tried the Dart classic flyscreen too... this was my result:

The strange thing is the amount of riders that claim it works well for them. They must be really short or really tall I guess.

The only last resort I feel like I might try is the "Plexifairing 3" which has lower deflectors on it: http://www.nationalcycle.com/plexifairing-mt.html A canadian guy about our height on a T120 swears by it, but I have not found anyone in the UK / EU that sells them so shipping and import costs would make this a very very expensive piece of plastic. Here's the video from the Canadian:

6. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

7. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello there,
    I’ve had Madstad on both an f800gs and a ktm and they’ve both been brilliant.
    Currently I have a triumph screen with a deflector on top which works,it looks pants,but it works.

8. Bonne Phil

Bonne Phil Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Romford, East London

9. Bonne Phil

Bonne Phil Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Romford, East London
    I have a Madstad on order from Harwood Performance source Ltd. UK. there has been a massive delay in delivery, their wed site suggest 2-3 days but it's been weeks. So I hope that by the time it finally arrives you will have fitted yours and can give me any advice.

Most of my previous bikes Harley, Pan European, Trophy SE (which I still own) have all been touring models so I have got use to a large screen, I'm still not convinced a big screen suits a Bonne but I have ordered a quick release kit so I will be able to remove the screen when travelling round town and save the screen for motorways.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, I guess you’ve not read my subsequent comments since fitting the screen and tried it every whichway to get the best out of it. I won’t go through the things I wasn’t happy with as you can read them in this thread so will say the positives. 1/ it is easily detachable in about 10 seconds 2/ it does keep the wind blast off your body and the bike gets up to 70mph (and likely faster) without having to hang on to the handlebars with a vice like grip. ... so if you can tuck in below the screen and lean into it to stop the buffeting and wind noise round your head it’ll be better than the bike without the screen for motorway riding. I do have tinnitus and if you don’t it may be you’re not as sensitive to wind blast, so you might have a much more positive experience with the Madstad. Please do post your views on it when it (hopefully) arrives soon as everyone seems to have different screen experiences.

11. Bonne Phil

Bonne Phil Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Romford, East London
    Rude of me not to have read your previous postings. Sorry. Yeah, I have tinnitus, which I put down to constant loud music when I was a tten ager, though 50 year on bikes can't have helped. now profoundly deaf as well but had a cochlear implant fitted in march so things have improved. ONce I get the screen, not holding my breath, I'll let you all know how I get on fitting it and the difference it make to riding. Of course the Trophy SE screen is electronically adjusted, I assume the Madstad should not be adjusted on the move?

12. Bonne Phil

Bonne Phil Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Romford, East London
    Rude of me not to have read your previous postings. Sorry. Yeah, I have tinnitus, which I put down to constant loud music when I was a tten ager, though 50 year on bikes can't have helped. now profoundly deaf as well but had a cochlear implant fitted in march so things have improved. ONce I get the screen, not holding my breath, I'll let you all know how I get on fitting it and the difference it make to riding. Of course the Trophy SE screen is electronically adjusted, I assume the Madstad should not be adjusted on the move?

13. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Definitely don’t try and adjust the screen whilst riding... there is quite a lot of flex so you have to adjust each one individually...presume HPS are supplying the more recent fork mounted fittings rather than the previous handlebar mount. Also as a ‘heads up’ the attachment of the fork mounts requires you to release the fork bolts, add the screen fittings, and then tighten up to the correct torque. I got my dealer to put them on as I couldn’t get the fork bolts undone and don’t possess a reliable torque wrench even if I had the right size wrenches. With the tinnitus I empathise with you... I believe I got it from the rubbish Triumph screen on my 2014 Tiger 800 which blasted the wind at my head..I put a Madstad on and riding became a delight at any speed...even visor up. .. I now use proper bespoke moulded ear plugs all the time ...and a Schuberth C3pro helmet when I use the screen and just try and ignore the tinnitus ... good luck with the screen when it arrives