Anyone Change Their Own Tyres?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Taipan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    I have a new rear Avon on its way to me. I normally change my own tyres on bikes, but couldn't get anywhere on a 15" rim before and even the tyre place had trouble sealing it? Just wondered if anyone had managed it okay on one of these rims?

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Do you mean it wouldn't seal on the rim when fitted or that it was difficult to get the tyre bead to seat in the correct place on the wheel ?

3. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    I couldn't get the tyre on off (Sportster alloy wheel)! Ended up taking it to a tyre place who got it off and the new one on okay, but struggled to get it to seal and used one of those blast chambers to get it to seat!

4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    If you take the wheel in to a decent motor cycle workshop you should get it fitted and balanced for ~£10.
    Drive the bike in and it should cost ~£20
    Not even worth attempting unless you have got the right gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    I've changed my own tyres for years, it gives me a chance to clean the inside of the rims etc. First time I had a problem was with the 15" Harley rim and of this is likely to be the same, then yes, it can go to the tyre place!

6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    A decent motor cycle workshop will clean the inside of the rims, generally they are bikers as well and take a pride in doing a good job.
    Some of the bigger tyre houses won't give a :poop:
    Good on yer, changing your own tyres, personally I couldn't be bothered for £10

• Agree Agree x 2