America Any Recommendations For A Better Than Standard Seat.

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by SUPERGRANDAD, Jun 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SUPERGRANDAD

SUPERGRANDAD Noble Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
  2. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Thanks for your reply Dozers Dad.
    Mrs C, thinks she wants something more like the King and Queen seat. They certainly look more comfortable. We might have to pay for one if nothing else turns up.
    :(

3. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    How are others getting on with the standard seat ?
    Would be good to know.
    Ken

4. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    #3 Suffolkbumpkin, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    I got the saddlemen explorer rs seat for my America, a fair bit cheaper than the Norman hide one if you go for the one without the driver backrest. Has gel pad fitted inside it.

I really like it, wife likes the thicker pillion and its shaped better, less pressure points. It pushes me slightly more forward and we both sit a few centimeters higher. For me at 5ft 9" it's a better position for someone taller i.e 6ft plus I am not so sure. This is with floorboards fitted as opposed to pegs.

Got the seat from A R Harley and sons, they must have had it in stock as I got it within the week. Wife is now very happy but I have an airhawk in reserve just in case as off on summer hols soon, touring on the bike :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Thanks for the reply, I see you are local to me. I am in Woodbridge. Loving the bike. I have sent my stock seat upt North for a total rework and gel inserts. I have had a few done by them now. Just wish it would get back now as I want to ride the machine. Been out on the BSA Thunderbolt this morning nice to ride 1969 650cc twin.
    We are off to Colmar and the Black Forest early Sept but will most likely have a trip to the Yorkshire Dales before then.:)
    Regards Ken.

6. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    There's a few of us from Suffolk on here, like you out this morning did the back roads to Clacton using the thrill ride function on my TomTom. Very pleasant morning ride and the route was fun.

My touring this summer is keeping it fairly local, did peak district last year and hopefully Scotland next. For this summers bike trip though going up to North Norfolk for a week.

Post some write ups once you have done your trips, really interested to see how your euro trips go on the America might help tempt me to dip my toe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    #6 SUPERGRANDAD, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    OK here is the seat mod made to the America, you will see I have had the sloping back taken out of the driver seat and made straighter. This offers much better support to the lower back and has the effect of allowing you sit more upright. Both passenger and driver seat also now has gel inserts. I have ridden the bike and what a transformation. So much better. It now has new cover and very pretty contrast blue stitching.
    Mod made by Bootleg Bike Seats, Preston.
    Ken.
    Low res picture sorry if you would like more info or better pics drop me a line.
    http://www.bootlegbikeseats.com/index.aspx

Seat mod 1.JPG

seat mod 2.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  8. BIG AL

BIG AL Guest

How much was it to have this done to your existing seat?

9. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Oh now you have got me, from memory
    Hi from memory I think it was around the £200 mark. Not cheap but the work is not cheap it is quality work.
    Ken.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. BIG AL

BIG AL Guest

That's not bad at all when you consider it would cost nearly £100 for a couple of gel pads.

• Agree Agree x 1