Another Exhaust Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by jyaeger, Aug 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jyaeger

jyaeger Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    I know this topic has been beat to death but I can't seem to decide which ones to get. I'm torn between the Akrapovic high mounts and the SC Project S1. I think they both look good in their own ways. The akra's are similar enough to the arrows and other slip ons that most of you have (especially the sc carbon duals) where the arrow slip on map is enough to do the trick but I haven't heard much about tuning for the other more open low mount style cans like the SC S1/CR-T or comp werkes etc. I also plan on getting integrated tail light/tidy to clean up the back end. But here are my thoughts on my top 2.

Akra:
    Pros: Keeps the high mount looks, well known quality product throughout the lineup, seem to sound pretty good on youtube videos, availability of purchase, has numbers to paper for differences for specs v stock.

Cons: expensive compared to other slip-ons (sans arrow), keeps higher CoG even though according to the akra website are significantly lighter than stock.

SC Proj
    Pros: light weight, lowers CoG, significantly cheaper, doesn't cover the single sided swingarm like most low mounts, every review reports high quality, with integrated lights/tail tidy tail section is going to be really clean looking.

Cons: unknown specs, neighbors might want my head on a pike, unknown need for tuning,possible long delivery times

Appreciate all opnions or ideas. Thanks in advance and sorry about the wall o' text.

Edit: Forgot to mention its a 2014.

2. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Hi, i have a 2013 Speed with twin high level SC Project exhaust and love them. Half the price of akra/arrows but with a great noise than won't have your head on a pike. My view was if i wanted more BHP i would have bought a different bike but i like the Speed and the twin high pipes so just changed them for looks alone-the SC's are much lighter, don't need re-mapping and do the job i wanted them to do. I thoroughly recommend them. good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    Which twin set up did you get/did you replace the Y-pipe or just the cans? It isn't really about power gains since I know its mostly minimal without getting a custom tune. I just was seeing if anyone needed to do a custom remap to keep it from running too lean.

4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    You've already very ably defined the differences. :)

IMO it's very much a decision to be made on visuals, which look you prefer.
    Twin high's keeps that very solid "built like a brick shit house" look. Conversely converting to the single low will give the tail a much more slender look (exaggerating space between wheel and tyre), ....much the same as many other more recent/modern designs.
    Personally I'm in the brick shit house camp (twin Arrows) as I feel it's part of what defines the Speed which has always had twins going right back to the original 1994 model.
    Wife's got a Street Triple with the low Arrow, looks quite similar from the front, very different from the rear.
    Unless you're ringing it's neck all the time difference in performance is a non-issue, you'll get more from a dyno session than any "can" swapping.
    All the cans will be considerably lighter than stock, if you're a fly-weight you might feel the difference of a low can, but otherwise just go on a diet if you want to lower the CofG.

Just pick your style and go for it! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I have twin arrows and have been hovering over the purchase button for the SC S1 for months.

I think the design of the S1 is in keeping with the bike, cleans up the rear end, exposes the hugger (mine's carbon and it would be nice to see it!) and doesn't block the view of the fabulous open rear wheel by blocking the area where the swingarm would be. The sound is also fabulous (there used to be a comparison video on YouTube, but sadly it's been taken down).

The trouble is, I also agree that the double cans define the Speed Triple and contribute to that chunky look that drew me to it in the first place. As much as I love the open rear wheel look...I think it looks a bit front heavy without the twins.

You just have to go with what you like the most...which I'm finding impossible.

This didn't help did it :weary_face: ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rubberhamster

Rubberhamster New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Labrador retriever
    I've just gone for the high Akrapovik's, I agree that they're a bit pricey but boy do they look and sound good, build quality is second to none and the price includes carbon brackets, down pipes and even a tube of copper grease Had loads of riders pop over to have a quick look so if you don't mind the price go for the Akrapovics, you won't be disappointed.

7. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    I have the twin oval SC Projects on my 2016 Speed and although the manufacturer states no remap is required I felt they introduced a flat-spot in the power delivery.

I had the Arrow map installed at the dealer and by my "seat of the pants" Dyno I feel it now pulls stronger.

It could be psychological though I guess.

Gled

8. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    i'm with Col_C! cans only for that brick shit house look!

won't object to 30hp more once Triumph bring the speed into 21st century though

• Like Like x 1
  9. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    It did not help in the slightest haha. I keep going back and forth about which look I want...I really like the original look with the high set up but I also really like bikes with clean lines...How do the high mounts for all of them sound? Youtube doesn't really do justice since some people filmed where they all sound different. Some videos make the stock sound better than the arrows or the baffle out version of any of them sounds quieter than the 250 I learned on...

10. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Each to their own but I've always felt the twin high-level exhaust is a signature feature of the Street Triple that distinguishes it from other bikes in the naked class, including the Street Triple.

Differences in weight distribution / centre of gravity and power gains are negligible so it comes down to personal taste on looks & sound and how deep your pockets are.

This probably doesn't help at all

Go with your gut OP

Gled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rubberhamster

Rubberhamster New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Labrador retriever
    The Akrapovics sound awesome without being too in your face, even with the baffles in the sound is still great. They sound just right, taking nothing away from the thump of the triple. As soon as I can figure out how to reduce the size of my photos I'll post a few to give you an idea of the look.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rubberhamster

Rubberhamster New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Labrador retriever
    pixies of the Ak

View attachment IMG_0117.jpg

13. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    Those look pretty amazing. Do you have to get the carbon heat shields or was it purely aesthetic? Did you remap?

14. Rubberhamster

Rubberhamster New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Labrador retriever
    You don't have to get the heat shields but performance parts offered me 12 months interest free if it was more than a grand so I thought seeing as though I was spending a shed load anyway I might as well go the whole hog . They look good, sound good and the baffles pop out with one screw. Quality is unbelievable

• Like Like x 1
  15. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    Are you running the stock map with it?

16. Rubberhamster

Rubberhamster New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Labrador retriever
    Yes, no re map needed although once it's out of warranty I'll be popping over to Clive Woods who apparently is 'Mr Triumph' ( see his FB page)

17. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    So, passed track day noise limits then. :)
    With or without baffles?

18. Rubberhamster

Rubberhamster New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Labrador retriever
    Had the baffles in and had no problems as it's a 102db limit I think. A mate reckons that it would pass with them out but couldn't be bothered messing about as it was a big que.
    The baffles come out really easy, just one 8mm screw in each so if you had the time you could run it past the marshalls twice with no messing about.

19. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
    OK here is my thought process for what it's worth.
    No offence meant but I love the high level pipes and that look, so not a fan of low level systems, although I had a piper worx system on a previous speed, with full re map and dyno time, lovely sorted bike, but the noise could wake up the dead.

Unless you get a race system and proper re map there are no significant gains in performance and it all comes down to personal taste and that nicer sound that we all love from Louder pipes.

£385 buys you the arrow high level.
    cans with the removable db killers.
    http://www.totaltriumph.co.uk/buy/triumph-Arrow-Slip-On-Silencers/hjp-a9600386_2013speedtriple#eq1

If it was my money and my bike was out of warranty I would fit the arrows give it a go with the triumph re map and then spend the money I saved on the SC getting a remap and dyno time or doing the same instead of buying the akro pipes and having a weeks holiday in France or Spain.

I had the equivalent system fitted to my 2016 triple with the remap. Looks good and running lovely in all modes. Personally I prefer the sound and looks to either the akro or the SC and that is from riding with friends who have those systems fitted. The pops and bangs on the overrun are brilliant, they are all equally loud without being too intrusive.
    Only thing I don't like are the poxy yellow arrow labels which are riveted to the cans.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I second that, I fitted a pair of Arrows to my black '94R, got them from Woods Triumph for a similar price and well pleased with them. If I had the choice they would look even better on a black bike if the main body section were black satin ceramic coated.