Featured Andypandy & Thebiglad's Pyrenees Trip

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by andypandy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Last night, this bar was packed with great, friendly people - bikers and rugby players mainly, all interested in having a brilliant time listening to a 3 piece band that could really rock.

Later today, arrived in Agen, hoping to meet up with Roadrider & Mrs.

• Like Like x 7
  3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Today rode from Agen to the outskirts of Bergerac with @thebiglad which was about 100 km then we split up. As we left the hotel we rode by the river which looked quite pretty with the morning mist hovering above it but we soon ran into thick cold mist. It lasted for 30 km or more. We got very cold and as Dave said, he couldn't see Jack Shit After 50 km we stopped for breakfast and you could look back down the valley, still full of mist and I couldn't see Jack Shit anywhere. So after Bergerac Dave headed off home and I'm now in Tours for the night. Off to Caen tomorrow. Sorry no pics.

• Like Like x 6
  4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi all, just thought I would write a short piece as summary of our trip from my perspective.

First of all - Best Bike Trip Ever !!!!

Best roads :
    N260 goes between Santander right across northern Spain to Barcelona - has every type of road you want as a biker, I mean every last one;

N134 goes between Jaca and Pau. Extraordinary roads and scenery.

Total trip distance for me : 1900 kms

Average fuel consumption : 3.8 ltrs per 100 kms or in English 74.4 mpg

Cost of fuel France : 1.41€ per ltr

Cost of fuel Spain : 1.30€ per ltr

Average Cost of accom. per person per night : 22€

Cost of meals per person : From 3€ to 23€ (inc nice wine)

Total cost of fuel - 70.50€

Total cost of beer and food - 7,000,000€

Best holiday ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Didn't happen then... :p

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That’s funny, Jack told me he saw you!

• Like Like x 3
  7. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Today I'm riding north from Tours to Caen. Stopped after about 40 km for croissant and coffee and met an English geezer who was travelling south to Valencia for the winter, he was towing this:-
    IMG_20190909_102850.jpg
    I nearly bought a dominator as a second bike in my late teens but my dad talked me out of it.

• Like Like x 11
  8. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Last day in France so I'm doing the Normandy coast. Started off at the German war cemetery at La Cambe.
    IMG_20190910_113826.jpg

IMG_20190910_114609.jpg

IMG_20190910_114858.jpg

IMG_20190910_125149.jpg

IMG_20190910_125548.jpg

The graves each held two bodies, the big mound is a mass grave, there are 21,000 buried there in total.
    Then I stopped off in Grandcamp-Maisy for Moules et Frites. Well someone had to do it.

• Like Like x 11
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Good to see you're finishing off on a high mate - safe trip home.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Safe journey home mate :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    And for our American members, here's a few pictures I took at Point Du Hoc, where a group of Rangers led by Lieutenant Colonel James Rudder scaled the cliffs on D Day and successfully attacked the German gun battery, repelling several counter attacks.
    IMG_20190910_142333.jpg

IMG_20190910_141907.jpg

IMG_20190910_162905.jpg

The last picture is of Omaha beach.

• Like Like x 12
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Sounds like an incredible trip, biglad! Thanks for all the photos, commentary, and stats. It does seem that your beer and food was a little pricey, however?!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You don't know how much we had, Sandi !!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Home now. A total of 2,255 miles which is nowhere near @BonnieCat 's epic total. But then i've not got as much padding on my arse have I Nikki ? ;)
    The best bit by far was the Spanish side of the Pyrenees. Nicer roads, warmer, sunnier, nicer food, cheaper food, beer and petrol. Bit of a drag was the French Autoroutes. I think I'd do Portsmouth Santander next time and spend longer in Spain. Best place, Jaca.

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Sounds like you had a great trip, Andy. Bit envious!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What a great trip...and trip report, Andypandy! Thanks so much for taking the time to share photos and comments with your forum buddies. :) Glad you are home safe and sound. So...what was it about Jaca that you liked so much??

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Nice one Andy, I was there a few years ago and more recently stayed in Grand Camp Maisy. Sadly for the Rangers, they found that the guns they were sent to bravely attack had been moved back from the coast sometime earlier. The French Resistance knew this as did the British from RAF reconnaissance photos, but for some reason the Americans ignored this intelligence. Omaha and Utah beaches were shelled from the huge battery at Grand Camp Maisy, which has only recently been uncovered. The Americans removed the guns and buried it immediately after the war (some believe to cover up for the heroic, but unnecessary assault on Pont du hoc.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    First of all it was sunny so that was a great start. Where I come from (about 15 miles from Manchester in north west England, we don't see a lot of sun, indeed, Manchester is known as Rainy City) Going on from that, it's an old city, lot's of narrow cobbled streets and old buildings, so there's bags of character. There are places to see. We looked around the old cathedral and an old fort with an extensive defensive perimeter consisting of a dry moat and lots of gun emplacements laid out in a pentagonal shape. It's lively. There are lot's of bars and eating places. The Spanish tend to eat late in the evening, about 10:00pm so the city is very vibrant till late at night. Just a great place to be. To be honest though it's like many other Spanish towns and cities. Barcelona springs to mind as another vibrant place to be. Contrasted with France for instance where every town/village is deserted, a lot of places just don't open in the evenings and things are much more expensive. Also, the Spaniards seem happier people to me.

• Like Like x 5
  19. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Glad to hear you got back safe and sound Andy. The Picos is definitely on my to do list before I give up biking

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Congrates on the trip mate, back to the damp north west weather eh!...

• Agree Agree x 2