Featured And Then There Were 2...simplifying A Bit In Uncertain Times

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, May 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, nothing like a pandemic, a bicycle crash and medical bills, and getting canned from a job to make one think about simplifying and scaling back a bit. I've had three motorcycles for the past six years and have thoroughly enjoyed and ridden the heck out of each of them. But circumstances being what they are and after a lot of thought, I made the decision to downsize my bike stable. So as of this past Saturday I now have two bikes in the garage rather than three. I traded my two 2017 Harleys in for a 2020 Harley. So I now have one Triumph and one Harley. Of course that leaves "gaping hole" in our garage so I've been encouraging Mr. Sandi to go buy that matte black 2019 Speed Triple RS he's been ogling since I bought my Speed Triple. We shall see...He's a much bigger fan of "the simple life" than I am which probably doesn't surprise those of you that know me.

Here's me riding the bell upon purchase of my new bike, a 2020 Street Glide Special. I'm now in the throes of determining mods. I LOVE that process and because I can't yet ride it, I can take my sweet time deciding how to make my new bike my own.
    IMG_4330.jpeg

Here's my new bike tucked in between my beloved 2019 Speed Triple RS and my Mustang Bullit.
    IMG_8317.jpeg

The next two photos are of the two bikes that I traded. This first one is my 2017 Road Glide Special upon which I made great memories. Many of you will recognize this bike from trip threads I posted including our trip to Sturgis last August and Las Vegas in October. This bike took great care of me over many, many miles and I hope the person who buys it loves and enjoys it as much as Idid.
    2017 Road Glide Special copy.jpg

The other bike I traded is this 2017 Dyna Low Rider S. I honestly thought I'd have this bike forever. (Never say never, right?) Dyna's were in the Harley-Davidson family from 1991-2017 and this particular model was only made in 2016 and 2017 so it's rather unique in that respect. It was the third of three Dyna's that I've owned. For me, this bike was my little hot rod and it was great fun to zip up Mt. Lemmon and bomb around town on. I sometimes referred to it as my "Sons of Anarchy" bike.:cool: I really hope that it goes to a good home. :)
    photo0-4 copy.jpg

It does feel strange to go out into the garage now and not see the Road Glide or the Dyna. But I am happy and content with my decision. Two bikes means less expense in terms of maintenance, insurance, and registration. And one less vehicle to clean. Heck, that dang Mustang take more time to detail than three bikes put together! ;):joy: Maybe Mr. Sandi will sell me on the virtues of the simple life yet! Or not.....:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 25
  2. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Loving the colour of the new bike Sandi. Like you, I downsized from 4 down to 2 for the same reasons. Hope you enjoy the new bike.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    Your a little guy for those ( I imagine) heavy bikes, any issues?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Nice write up Sandi. I really did like your Dyna :sob: and have a soft spot for them. Now to repair enough to enjoy your new cruiser :cool:. Congrats on the new job too

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Hello Sandi,

when I started reading this thread, I thought: „Oh damn! To hell with this whole crisis...“, but then, I realized that your news where not soo sad news after all... The new Harley looks stunning but so did the two that you traded in. This actually reminds me of what I keep doing: For purchasing my Fat Bob, I traded in an Iron 883 and my Bonneville T120...
    I thought one bike is just fine and saves a lot of money (fooling myself, since with every trade in, you throw out the money in buckets, don‘t you ;) ?) ...and then I saw the /5 and ups... Two bikes again.
    But when I lost my job in 2014, I also threw off ballast and minimized overhead costs.

The good thing I learned about myself during those years: I can be just as happy with an old Yamaha SR500 and a small car with some character (say Mini, or Fiat 500). Everything in addition to this is pure luxury (and of course: fun).

I wish you a great time with customizing your new bike and - hopefully soon - riding it!

Cheers, Daniel

• Like Like x 6
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Room in the garage for a Rocket now :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Nikki! Did you go directly from four bikes to two or did you downsize more gradually? Do you ever wish to have more than two bikes again?

I love this color, too. The "official" color name is Scorched Orange & Silver Flux. This model comes in seven colors for the 2020 model year but this particular one was head and shoulders above the others as my preference. This is the third touring bike that I've had in succession and each of them has been some form of orange or orange & black. That's good because I have riding jackets with some orange in them, my helmet is white/black/orange, and my Le Pera seat (which has fit all three bikes fortunately) has orange stitching on it. :) It's very important that things match or are at least complimentary. ;):joy: Of course, I didn't buy my bike to match my gear...I guess it just turns out that I gravitate to orange touring bikes! They are highly visible--especially the one I just traded.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Congrats on the new bike Sandi. Hope your feeling better and the job market starts to improve for you.

I wish my wife was trying hard to convince me to buy an RS! :joy:

Enjoy making more memories on the new on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Not really, @SprinterII. In fact, being on a heavy bike is always a good reminder to me to be very mindful when I ride. In particular I'm very careful about where and how I park (no downhill slopes!) and how I move my bike around the garage and driveway (always in riding boots). I appreciate the weight of my touring bikes when out on the wide open roads on trips, particularly when it's windy, as the weight helps the bike feel more solid and stable.

It did take me a number of years of riding to work my way up to riding such big bikes although most would consider my first bike (a Harley Street Bob) a big bike too. I know at some point I will not only scale back the number of bikes I own but also the size/weight of them as I (inevitably) age. :eek: But for now having a big and heavy touring bike works for me for particular riding purposes. And having a heavy bike makes my Speed Triple seem even lighter and more nimble!! :grinning::joy:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Dartplayer! I appreciate your kind comments on both my write up and on my new job.:kissing_heart: Yes, I really did love that Dyna, too, as I also have a soft spot for them. I suspect that Low Rider S will go down in my motorcycling history as "the one that got away" and be the one I most wish I could have back. But alas, the only constant in life is change, right? :rolleyes:

I am on the repair road and am hopeful that I will be able to get out on my Triumph initially (smaller and lighter!) in a month or two. In the meantime I'm having fun researching mods and making lists and envisioning my personalized bike. :grinning:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, Daniel, my news isn't so sad. All of these crazy things in life conspired to make me more aware of a lot of things including priorities. You are right--we can be happy with less and everything else truly is a luxury. And I think THAT is the thing to remember. Here in the U.S. in particular there is a cult of "keeping up with the Joneses" and having to have more and more stuff in an effort to be happy. As I mentioned in my original post, Mr. Sandi has been a good influence on me because he is masterful at simplifying his life. Well, other than marrying me. ;):joy:

I've had a similar motorcycle history as you and have finally figured out that I actually enjoy not only riding itself but also the process of looking at what's out there, buying and trading, customizing, etc. I've been able to afford to do that for the past ten years but am now looking at simplifying that too. So having two rather than three bikes should help me in that regard.

Thanks for the wishes on my customizing process. It's such fun to "window shop". So now that's my "carrot" each day. First do my work from home, my chores, my physical therapy---then I can peruse parts and dream about the finished product. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Ooooh, don't tempt me, @Helmut Visor! :eek: And don't breath a word of this to Mr. Sandi. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Smilinjack. One part of what made me think about trading was that my local Harley dealership has been offering great deals on trade-ins and used bike purchases because they are selling WAY more used bikes these days. I got 115% of Kelly Blue Book on my trades which, along with the sales tax credit on two bikes, made a big difference in my out the door price. Which is turn left me with some funds for mods and customization.

What bike did you let go of before Christmas? And which one would you let go now? I'm with you--I think the economic shitstorm has barely begun. I do think that overall in the long run I will be glad to have two bikes to "exercise" and wash and tend to rather than three.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dexter

Dexter Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Colorado
    I think you made a great decision. I love the look of the new Harley. Having just got my 1st bike in 15+ years (2018 Speedmaster), I am drooling on a 2nd. I located a 2014 Trophy SE with 20k miles, I am tempted!

Enjoy your new ride!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    V-e-r-y funny's, @Bikerman! :rolleyes::joy: Actually, this photo was taken back on the day that I went to pick up my Road Glide Special after having a Stage IV engine kit and a bunch of other mods and farkles installed at my dealership. I was so excited that I was nearly giddy! I think Dee (the guy who's laughing with me) was giddy too--but probably mostly because he made a pretty penny off my purchases. ;)

I originally bought this bike "used" with only 820 miles on the odometer and got a terrific deal on it. I hope it goes to a great home to someone who will enjoy it as much--even half as much!--as I did.

• Like Like x 4
  16. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I went from 4 to 2 as quickly as possible. Sold my as new Virago 1100 and my old Suzuki GS750. I just thought to myself, I hardly rode them, maybe one or twice in a year, but still had to pay for running costs. So it made no sense to hang onto them. If I could easily and without losing a load of money I’d sell the Speedmaster too. The VStrom is the only bike I need

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    I know this is a triumph forum but that mustang :heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yeah, "that mustang". ;) Thanks, @Judd Dredd. :kissing_heart: Definitely the coolest and most fun car I've ever had the privilege of owning!
    Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 10.53.46 AM.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1