America - Headlight - Problem ?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Steve Murray, Sep 23, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Murray

Steve Murray New Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Sheffield
    Hello all, I'm not sure if I have a problem.

I recently swapped my Thunderbird for my America. I had noticed that the headlamp was poor compared to the spotlights, then realised that only the parking light was on. Convinced the bulb had gone, I decided to test it before investing in a new one. The bulb tested OK.

I put everything back together and started the bike, no headlight. I flicked the switch to high-beam, the headlight came on, I flicked the switch back to low-beam, the headlight switched to low-beam and stayed on.

Is this normal? My T-Birds headlight was on as soon as ignition on, do I have an electrical problem, or do you have to operate the light switch to switch-on the headlamp.

I have read my users manual and my Haynes to no avail.

Thanks in anticipation of help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    On my 2006 America, the headlight is on as soon as the ignition is on. The light switch was just for high/low beam.

Loose connection somewhere?

Biff

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Steve Murray.
    Someone may have fitted the module that switch's the headlight of till you operate the high low beam.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steve Murray

Steve Murray New Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Sheffield
    Thanks Biff,

I suspected a loose connection but the switch operates the headlight every time, and no flickering from the lamp to suggest a poor connection, and the light stays on until ignition off.

Confused !!

Thanks Joe thats interesting. I have loomed inside the lamp and there does seem to be some sort of connecting lead behind the headlamp connector lead? Is this possible?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steve Murray

Steve Murray New Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Sheffield
    Thanks Joe, thats interesting. I didn't know that was possible but i have looked inside the lamp and there appears to be a plug on lead connected behind the headlamp connector block. I will have another look, maybe i can take it off and see how that works.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steve Murray

Steve Murray New Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Sheffield
    'Quote' Someone may have fitted the module that switch's the headlight of till you operate the high low beam.
    Joe.

Thanks again Joe, once You said that I researched 'Headlight Module' and found exactly as you said. Its called an easy start headlamp module, plugs into the headlamp loom inside the lamp, and is intended to hold off the headlight to prevent battery drain. Drops out when the high/ low beam is operated, drops back in when ignition off. Previous owner changed out the stock bulb for a higher power xenon cool blue, so added the module.

Thanks for your input Joe, stops me worrying about an electrical fault.

Cheers

Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Steve Murray
    Glad you got sorted. Though about fitting one my self.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have experienced similar issues with my bikes if they sit undisturbed for a long time. I always attributed it to dust and corrosion accumulation on some of the electrical contacts. Switch them back and forth a couple of times and it seems to go away. I live in a very dry, dusty climate though. ...J.D.