America Corrosion Question

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by crispey, Jun 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    My bro is looking at buying an America, it has to be blue, why?
    Anyway he saw one advertised at Wigan Yamaha, less than a year old and when sent photos these showed a lot of corrosion on the rear wheel! Is this an issue with americas or has it been totally neglected over the winter?
    Ta

2. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    #2 Scoot65, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Less than a year old you say?
    I'd say it's got to be down to being neglected after being ridden on salty roads over the winter.
    I have a 2005 Speedmaster and it is showing very little corrosion. I don't ride salty roads at winter.

I've amended the post with the words in bold (I'd missed the words out of my original post)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Aussieamerica

Aussieamerica Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    Unfortunately from what I've seen and read of various forums the quality of materials and the quality control on assembly seem to be less than on the earlier models. My 02 America's finish after 15 years is still in very good condition, bit of a shame really as the Triumph marque has been growing well with an ever expanding model range.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I had the feeling it was more neglect, some people buy toys to have fun with but don't want to put any effort into maintaining them.

5. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Less than a year old you say?
    I'd say it's got to be down to being neglected after being ridden on salty roads over the winter.
    I have a 2005 Speedmaster and it is showing very little corrosion. I don't ride salty roads at winter.

I've amended the post with the words in bold (I'd missed the words out of my original post)

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#6 MrOrange, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
    Put away wet ! Simple as that. But it's not the end of the world, when I bought mine, even tho' only 1200 miles on it, there was a fair bit of surface corrosion on the wheels and the chrome sissy bar. My guess was put away wet and left till he could be arsed to sell / swap it!!!

Took a bit of elbow grease, autosol and swearing, but can be cleaned up fairly easily. A lot easier with the wheel out, and worth the effort rather than struggling to get at it.

Had a look, it does look noticeable, get £500 knocked off or they get it sorted first! !!! Seems a fair chunk of money for it, so should be right. Or just factor in £50 to get it polished.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

upload_2017-6-21_21-49-46.png

just seen engine fins, some tosser has not looked after that bike !!!!! It is all sortable, as the surface's are all bare alloy, wheels and fins, but not for top money from a dealer!!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks all, I've told him to steer clear of that one as it's not in the condition you'd want to buy without viewing . Found one a bit closer to home so hopefully it'll come up to spec!

9. Aussieamerica

Aussieamerica Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    Good advice mate, if he's too slack to even clean it how slack has he been with the maintenance and servicing as well.

10. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    What's the best way to maintain the engine fins in good condition?

The left hand side on my Speedmaster is getting a little corrosion on the fins

11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

First cleaned it up using 800 wet and dry, a block of hardwood (to keep it flat) and WD40/GT85 as the 'wet'. Then sprayed in ACF50, corrosion has never come back.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #12 crispey, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Another dealer, late 15 plate, 2k miles same with corrosion, definitely has to be kept clean and protected by the looks of it
    Back After.JPG

13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

That could just be muck! Mine looked worse after 600 miles up to Aberdeen and back! Muc-off, and a wheel brush had them shiny soon after.

But the bare metal finish is not brilliant, if a big issue, factor in £100 to get them powder coated silver ? That was my intention, but to be honest. Once cleaned and coat of ACF50, they clean up OK at every wash.

At least not lacquered, once water under, that does look a mess.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks MrOrange, I'll get that sorted!