Sprint GT Alternative Thermostat

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Aidan, Feb 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    My Sprint GT runs hot. I wanted to change the thermostat to rule out its malfunction. However, I saw the price online for a Triumph thermostat as £39!!! Plus postage! That's daylight robbery. I think there are many car thermostats out there which will probably fit and open at the same temp and be more like £5. Before I spend an afternoon down the car spares shop, does anyone know of an alternative?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    No, mate sorry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #3 Wire-Wheels, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    I don't know that I would be willing to spend ANY money until I am sure what I am buying will solve the problem. I would use one of those electronic non- contact thermometers and sense the upper radiator hose temp. I would be looking for a temp reading of 195°-210°f. You can also tape a mechanical thermometer to the hose an get a reading that is close enough. I would just stick it on with some duct tape and run the engine to get a reading. Also be certain your cooling fan is cycling on and off properly as needed before you start buying parts. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    When you say runs hot, what do you mean, what's it doing?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Guess he got what he wanted. ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    The temp gauge shows bars almost up to top on a hot day. I had an issue last year where the temp light came on after a long and hard run along the autoroute to Calais. I had to turn it off at the passport control and it took an age to cool down and re-start. The day was very hot. The fan comes on fine and the hoses feel hot, so I assume thermostat is opening. Got ECUTune and was going to lower the fan operating temp.

Just surprises me - never had any issue like this on a water-cooled bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. John Watson

John Watson New Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Carlisle
    I would be inclined to check that the radiator is passing air through before worrying about thermostats. I am of course assuming you haven't yet looked at the radiator, apologies if you have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Take out the thermostat , test it !
    Test method :- put thermostat in a pot , cover it with water , put it on a stove , slowly bring it to the boil , watch to see if it opens ! With a thermometer you can assess whether it is opening at the right temperature.
    If it is , the problem Lie's elsewhere ! If it doesn't open you have two options ! Cut centre of thermostat out and refit the outer ring or buy a replacement.
    Refitting the outer ring on it's own is at best a temporary repair , engines treated to this repair take longer to warm up to operating temperature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    This fix won't affect EFI any differently than a carbureted engine , it will just take three times longer to reach running temperature if the bike is ridden and moving air through the radiator before it's hot ! As the opening for coolant to flow through is fully open , it might run slightly cooler in general too.
    I've used this fix on truck , car and bike motors , it give you time to find and install a new working part...

• Like Like x 1
  10. dreitopf

dreitopf Active Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Germany
    #10 dreitopf, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    I had the same problem and I have cleaned the radiator...from outside with warm water, soap an a soft brush and from inside with liqui moly radiator cleaner.....after this procedure I filled up with ready mixed coolant from motul...the bike runs much cooler and I'm very satisfied.

[​IMG]
    I hope it works with the pic.....it shows my 4 years old coolant

sorry---cannot upload a pic:cold_sweat:

• Agree Agree x 1