All Spammed Out, Cheerio For A While

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by curly, Mar 1, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Fair comment mate, I'm not convinced that Rob gives a hoot. But I'll leave it alone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tallpaul
    Perhaps. But he put a lot into this forum and faced the trouble makers before so i don't think he wants it all to end just like that.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    It doesn’t take long to post something, even if it’s just a ‘sorry, life is a bit mad at the moment’. It’s a long-standing situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    This is all very reminiscent of what happened to the Ducatisti website and forum in the early noughties run by a guy in the West Country. All of a sudden it just collapsed and ceased to exist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    That’s a shame. I dislike the level of spammers getting through, but will miss both your contributions. I hope to see your guest appearances :sun::party:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I agree that it's a shame that this forum has seemed to be more of a spam magnet as of late. And I truly hope that @Rob will step up. But I'm game to continue. As an analogy, I'm not gonna quit riding my motorcycle just because there are so many idiots on the roadway these days. I watch out for them then get away from them as best I can and continue on. So, too, do I do that on the forum. So count me in. I'd truly miss the friendships I've made here plus learning new stuff and seeing great builds and laughing and sharing motorcycles stories and experiences and.... You get the picture.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 3
    • Love You x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    With you, Sandi! It's irritating but no more than that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Click on the spammer name, hit "ignore" and it's done.
    But yes something has to be done anyway.
    Bad to see members leaving because of that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I think SJ’s point is valid though... don’t have any information on here you wouldn’t be happy that anyone in the world would know... I presume IP address’s are linked to names, usernames, email addresses, passwords etc...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    It's not that hard to make an account and username, if someone really wanted to get your information they'd get it whether they are a spammer or not. If you really don't want any of your information anywhere then the Internet is not the place to be.

As for the leaving the forum because of spammers I'm relatively new here but I'm with sandi, it's annoying but life goes on.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Can’t see the big problem really. Just mark it as “ignore” refresh page and move on.

I guess Rob could make the creation of new accounts more difficult with some sort of authentication process, but that’s assuming the software used to manage this forum allows it.

But the odd bit of Spam is no reason to leave.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

I'm sure there's more to the issue than the proprietor(s) simply not giving a shit. We have no idea what's going on in people's lives or what it really takes to exterminate a problem like this(at least I don't anyway). That's why I'm keeping my bitching at a somewhat comedic level.

That being said- @Havit, get your shit together..."bruv." :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    My soul is crushed:oops:Golgotha.:p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Yep, ignore and refresh, and move on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Havit
    Nice to hear from you and sad to see good members go. Me i will just keep hitting the ignore button. This Forum is to good just to let it die. And here we have great people and a following that is second to none. Thanks for all you are doing.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    All we can do
    All we can do is keep our heads above water and keep removing spam. Thanks for your support Joe

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Havit
    No thanks to you for giving us somewhere we can talk to each other and be a member of the best family world wide. They just don't bother me any more as i just ignore and go on the the peeps that matters.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    That annoying rattle on the bike is just annoying, until your big end goes. If something isn't maintained properly expect more problems as time goes on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #39 Octoberon, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Ignoring the account posting spam is a simple solution and really not that onerous, even if it is a little irritating. More concerning is that two members have lost all their post recently, and many others seem to have lost some over the course of the week I got curious and tracked it. We don't know why, and we don't know it won't happen again. Right now the forum seems to be in the same state as a bike that's out of warranty and not being serviced. Sooner or later something will fail. I say this as someone who's spent their career in IT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #40 Octoberon, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Absolutely right. Everything you post publically on the internet that isn't encrypted will be picked up, indexed and profiled by the likes of Google, Facebook etc.

IP addresses aren't linked to names directly. It's easy to anonymise that, too. Using a VPN obscures your location but there are other ways to identify people.

• Agree Agree x 2