Alarm For Speed Triple Rs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bikerdave, Aug 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Right, let's roll the dice on this one.

I've generally not been a fan of alarms on bikes , preferring instead mechanical devices like disc locks, ground anchors and chains.

However .... I'm thinking about having the Triumph/Datatool alarm fitted as I'm travelling more again.

Any of you guys got the Datatool ? Any feedback good or bad would be appreciated specific to the RS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bonnie1980

Bonnie1980 Bonneville T120 Black

Aug 6, 2019
    South East England
    +1 for Monimoto. Inexpensive, doesn’t suck life out of your bike battery, easy to install and works brilliantly. Tested a dozen of times and sent alerts on every instance. And it is transferable to other bikes.

I have the datatool S4 alarm, a Triumph 12mm diameter disc lock, another 6mm disc lock but monimoto gives the most assurance when I am out and about.

As for the alarm itself, it’s got a bit of a negative reputation because of the way it operates (just google the alarm or watch YouTube videos of people trying to destroy that thing) but I get along fine with it.

Unless you are standing next to the bike, I don’t think there is anything that can prevent theft if your stars are misaligned on any given day. What you can do after the theft is key. Good insurance, sales receipts for disc locks, alarm, gps tracker etc., photos of them being used on the bike are some basic precautions which yield better results in the event of theft but something people ignore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    After watching a few bike thefts on YouTube, it does seem nothing stops them.
    Just pot luck if your bike is targeted.

All you can do is make it as hard as possible for the scum bags to get your prized possession.

Tie it to a massive security guard with a taser may be the way

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BikerDave.
    I have had the Datatool on all my triumph's and made sure there is a sticker to say fitted also Datatag. Never had any problems yet touch wood. But like the peeps say if they come for your bike they are going to take it. I have friends who have had there garage doors ripped of and bike taken. All you can do is make it as hard as you can and if there is an easier target they will go for that. Or park it beside a Rottweiler that should do the trick.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. m4ppy

m4ppy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I have the datatool,a disc lock, ground anchor and monimoto I know overkill but I have had 2 almost new bikes taken in the last 4 years.
    The alarm is to just make noise in my garage..

Wouldn't rely on just an alarm, they are good to also stop idiots trying to sit on it for selfies

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    2 things .... firstly , that tracker looks interesting ! Secondly "tits on a fish?!" that cracked me up ... reminiscent of a mate of mine when asked why he never drinks water and he said " I know what fish do in it !" .... thanks for your thoughts, I'm pretty much in your camp

7. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Trackers have now been cracked by tracker blockers under £20 on eBay, once powered up the blocker shoots your bike around the world and lost forever.

The best form of security is prayers and Karmahttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/123864269666

8. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Regardless of how effective an alarm on a bike might be, the combination of the alarm fob and keyless ignition is really irritating - and completely defeats the object of being able to store the ignition key in your pocket.

The Datatool auto-arms itself shortly after switching off the ignition, which means that you have to fish around for the key fob to disarm it before you can restart the bike. This reaches peak irritation level when you stop for petrol...and requires a workaround (and a keyless fuel cap) to become truly keyless:
    1. Turn off the ignition to cut the engine
    2. Immediately turn the ignition back on to prevent the alarm from arming
    3. Remove your keyless cap (storing it in your glove so it isn't dropped)
    4. Fill
    5. Refit cap
    6. Start engine
    I also have a Scrambler 1200 with keyless and chose NOT to have the Datatool. The Scrambler has a standard cap that can be left unlocked – and with no alarm, I find it so much more convenient. Ride the bike. Switch it off. Hope back on. Ride again. Perfect.

Spend the £310 on an Evotech Tail Tidy and Radiator/Oil Cooler Guards...and an Oberon fuel cap :p

2018-11-24 12.17.23.jpg

9. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I like that Oberon cap. Have you got a link to that one I could poach!!!!?

10. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    The cap is an 'FUE-0730' and it fits the Speed Triple and Daytona 675 from 2010. Just choose black or silver outer ring...then deliberate over which colour cap to have. I went for as close to the OEM look as possible :)

11. Andymarksonline

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Thanks. I was free exactly the same look!

12. Englishbandit

Englishbandit Active Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    #12 Englishbandit, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    I use an alarm on all my bikes BUT not one of the expensive ones as they all go wrong in the end and you end up stuck out some place an can not get home. if i buy a bike and it has one on the first thing i do is get my local shop to remove it (£60). i use A £20 alarm from ebay ( item number 201002746887) live and earth connected to the battery ( can do other things if you want it to ) so if bike is moved the blood thing lets all hell brake lose nice and loud. that's all you need. these fancy ones are no good if your bike is in the back of a van being driven away ? All you need is if bike is moved it go's off. been using them 10 years now never had one brake.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    #13 Englishbandit, Aug 10, 2019
    Best thing you can have in your garage to protect you bike apart from all the obvious is a BABY MONITOR. we all have them. you so much as talk out side my garage i will hear you. and if you cut a lock shit its like thunder in your room at night as its quiet. best thing you will ever use. You know sometimes at night you think did i hear some one or something you get up look out your window for the next 20 mins ? with the baby monitor just lay in bed look at it and listen as well as hearing everything mine has 5 lights that go up if there is a noise. really does put your mind at rest. they hear everything. and mine is good from 50m away so if your garage is at end of garden still works spot on.gives you time to get tooled up and pop out on the QT to have a chat if needed or call police what ever you prefer. Not that some blonde 5 foot 2 police lady is going to be much use at 2am in the morning, At any time come to think of it. coppers are not what they used to be sadly.My neighbours house (4 doors down) alarm went off a few months back i called him he said he was out and would i pop down and check all was well. so i went out the back and walked down to the back of his house just at that time a lady officer walked round the corner of the back ally way. she shit her pants when she seen me really thought she was going to cry. I said its all right love i am not the bad guy you should have seen the relief on her face. now i am not a big big lad but am covered in tats but please if you are going to be a police officer make sure you can kick the shit out of someone if needed as there are some really bad people out there .

IMG_0399.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    This is pretty usefull too:p

293F9CC1-CA45-46F9-A16E-015A7D9C8082.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    #15 Englishbandit, Aug 10, 2019
    love it lol but if its like my staffie its under the covers in bed with me lol

16. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Thanks for this mate I have the Evotech tail tidy on now which is a work of engineering art unlike the R&G version that I fitted (then removed!) . bike currently has the Triumph rad guard soon to be replaced by the Evotech one and oil cooler guard and I'm heading towards the Oberon fuel cap as it does irritate me slightly at fuel stops to have to fetch out the key fob I think I'll stick to the various mechanical devices I use and may get a tracker too

17. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Lol ! Love this .... we have 2 lads ... a police sergeant and a Royal Marine Commando ! I generally feel safe when they are around ! The baby monitor is a good shout although long time since we used one ! I looked recently at the CleverDog wifi camera's to do a similar thing as you mention ... the garage door is alarmed, there's a PIR , bike has ground anchor and chain and disc lock plus it's own immobiliser so after that if they want it and can take it then fine .... hopefully one of the CCTV camera's will pick something up that I can pass on to my lads and their mates !!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    Like me cctv alarm sound bomb ground anchors garage door does not open. Vibration sensor and 2 other things

19. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Cheers for this ! Think I'm sold on getting one

• Like Like x 1
  20. Andymarksonline

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Biketrac for me. Just need to wobble my bike and their control room phones you (as I quite often find out when I forget to put it in servicing mode while I’m cleaning it!).

• Funny Funny x 1