Aircanuck's Budget Restore

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by AirCanuck, Mar 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I wouldn’t bother with the clear coat. I’ve usually found that it doesn’t last and ends up getting damaged, letting in moisture which then leads to corrosion again. It’s a bit more effort to periodically polish again but the Belgom Alu I mentioned earlier leaves a wax coating to help protect.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    I'll have to look into that. So far I have mothers and autosol, I wonder if either of those leave. Wax coating to protect...

3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Doubt it - I'm pretty sure autosol doesn't. Plus one on Belgom Alu - it's a good polish and the shine does seem to last much longer.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=belgom+alu&ref=nb_sb_noss

Superb work on the rim and the black certainly doesn't look bad in the images you posted. If the black paint is fairly sound just try wiping it down with ACF 50 - leaves it with a sheen and will protect too.

It is possible (but not easy) to get OOOOO (FIVE O) grade steel wool - generally "fine" is classed as OOOO (FOUR O) - which is made by Colron and used for furniture polishing. It does polish alloy well, but may leave fine swirl/scratch marks. If you want me to try to get and send some let me know. Can't guarantee it because it took me ages to find my last lot so I'm not sure if it's still sold, but I'll gladly look into it for you.

EDIT :- just checked and, for UK listeners, HOMEBASE list five O grade steel wool as stock :-

https://www.homebase.co.uk/colron-fine-steel-wool_p212045

Aircanuck - let me know if you want to try some.

• Like Like x 3
  4. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    I appreciate the offer but after seeing it today in the sun I'm quite happy. I will look into those 2 products you mentioned!

5. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    I am finding all kinds of ACF 50 products, which one did you mean for the paint? Unfortunately the Belgom Alu will take too long to get to me, I want these protected before I leave for my deployment. However I double checked and autosol protects as well. So I will have to go over them again with autosol lol.

6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    If theh paint is sound - and it looks it from the images of the nicely polished wheel - then this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACF-50-Ant...m33f205fc61:g:EE4AAOSwswNbc-Ki&frcectupt=true

will add a little sheen and a LOT of protection. It is an oil so it would probably make the polished parts of the wheel look a little bit dull - especially when it picks up brake dust - but it does offer a shine and protection on the black paint. In fact, on anything if you're going to be leaving the bike for a period of time.

7. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    I agree, they look mega! Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    Thank you. Heck of a lot of work. Unfortunately still the second one to go!!

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Buffing wheels on power tools will do 80%.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    simple as that sounds, something I'm not familiar with... does it do the sandpaper bit too? or just the buffing part? Do you have an example of the tool you mean?

11. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    Best way to clean surface corrosion off plastic "chrome" parts such as headlight bucket?

15586357544114350307475041919175.jpg

12. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    I purchased jetseal to seal the wheels now that they are restored. going to try to attack some rust issues soon on the frame. Will just be sanding, using red oxide priming and then gloss black paint.

Going to try to do the brackets without taking apart the whole front end...

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

rust3.jpg

rust4.jpg

rust5.jpg

rust6.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. barneymusician

Jun 11, 2020
    Chiswick, London, UK
    WoW! What a transformation! Great job!

14. barneymusician

Jun 11, 2020
    Chiswick, London, UK
    Really enjoyed scrolling this thread, thanks. I got here by a search on rusty discs as need to address mine (not too bad and mainly on the inside area of the cut outs where it makes more sense that any water might settle) . I'll be trying the wire wool at 0000 grade with a little WD40 to help it along (as was one of the popular suggestions). I will be doing it with the wheel and disc on the bike and just protect the rims etc with some rags, I might employ an old toothbrush or two too. Any tips, tricks or learnings from others welcomed.