Featured Advice To Foreign Bikers On French Roads

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Manuel C., Aug 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Please be adviced that when riding in Sweden, it is of utmost importance that you salute in the proper way. You make your left hand a fist and point the middle finger towards the sky. If you miss this when meeting a motorcycle gang, they WILL turn around, run you off the road and beat you up, so beware.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Manuel C.

Manuel C. Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    strange...I can't say young bikers are worse than the olders one, or are just interested in the size of your bike..., I did not notice that HD riders didn't wave back, generally they do...at least this is true at home...
    I live in northern France, one of the ugliest part of Europe (if not of the entire world), one of the poorest zone of the country, one of the most cloudy & rainy part of the country...BUT people are the most friendly, reliable, simple & helpful you can find in France, even we also have many assholes too...:D
    Maybe it explains that I'm always surprised when I'm not waved back...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#23 Cyborgbot, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2021
    What with you madly waving, nodding and shaking your legs about whilst grinning insanely at everyone, I think most people would think you’re a bit ‘special’ and give you a wide berth.

Much like what happens to me when I try talking to people on the London Underground. It’s amazing how many people get off a stop or three before they intended, or how people gravitate to the other end of the carriage - even in rush hour. It seems no one is genuinely interested in my collection of slugs I keep in matchboxes.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    If you waved at every bike you see at the IOM TT they would think you are having an epileptic fit.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    I don't feel that if I'm honest. 99% friendly and interested in the bikes etc wherever I've been.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    That confirms my observation. HD riders are just like others now, with more money.
    And only a few of them are able to check oil level and tire pressure without going to the dealer. : unamused:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Like the op mentioned somewhere, my grumpy feeling comes also from the area I live now.
    Savoie is a quite posh area (it's now called "la Riviera des Alpes" on touristic papers :oops:), and a destination for sunday riders, sport cars owners, etc.

It's the first place when it's raining people are asking me why I ride a motorcycle.
    And yes I'm sure people in north of France are way more friendly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    harley people never used to wave back unless you were on a harley. thats changed and everybody waves at everybody.

except for the very occasional harley newbie still insecure with tbeir image. they steadfstedly look the other way. i wave anyway. someday theyll figure it out

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    Yep, they really are friendly here, and I was born here, that's why I can live here without shooting myself :joy:.
    But If I could, I'd go to the "riviera des alpes" to ride the Sprint GT or drive my 500 Abarth Competizione on the twisty mountain roads, just for fun...:heart_eyes:
    Had a 100 km trip towards the coast and back yesterday with the bike on the motorway ....horribly boring....:sob:...no curves...:confounded:...no hills....:scream:.... UK campervans overtaking trucks at 90 km/h :skull:...:triumph:
    I'd like to see a slug collection :p !
    IOM TT bikers are fools released from their asylum, and it's really fine !!! :)

What's an oil level and a tyre pressure?? where do you buy them?? As we are talking about mechanics, do I have to replace the brake pads on my engine brake?? :joy:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

giphy (3).gif

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    Are you sure it's bikes ..?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I won't ask them :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    Nice dog! :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Waving is done here as well, I'm in Mexico

• Like Like x 8
  15. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I remember the first time I took my throttle hand off the bars to wave when riding with a sidecar.

Bike violently veered right across the right lane towards the central reservation

I grabbed repeatedly where the handlebar should have been until I got it

Opened throttle

Bike swung back left again but with sidecar wheel lifting, so...

Had to close throttle to get the wheel back down causing the bike to head towards the central reservation again.

I finally got it under control but was rather more careful about acknowledging other riders after that :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Actually I find the 'Adventure' bike riders are the worst for not nodding, 99%ers......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Actually I find its the 99%er 'Adventure' riders that don't say hello.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I ride a Tiger and give a either a very regal style wave or a frantic one like I’m swatting a wasp. Which has happened a few times when one gets in the lid!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1