Advice - Street Triple R Or Rx

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by R_1000, Nov 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Hello Everyone

I am thinking of downsizing my 1000cc to Street Triple. It's not as if I am fully utilising the 1000cc or in the event I do end up pinning that throttle.....always the fear of heart-attack:rolleyes:. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed my time with my speed triple

Other reason for choosing the 675 is because 3 months ago I have done some permanent damage to my lower back and getting all these Siatica symptoms :(. I have decided to sell my R1 and move to a much lighter, smaller bike and still able to experience the torque and handling. Most of all where I can plant both feet on the ground o_O

Has anyone here tried both the Street Triple 675 R & RX? Would any you be able to kindly give some insights as to which would be a better choice and why?

My riding is 75% twisties, 25% town.....It's been 3 years since I took a pillion on the bike. So I guess it will be solo ride ;)

Thanking you all kindly:)

2. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Thruxton1200R?

3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Nice classy bike. But I'm not ready for that kind of bike yet. Besides my budget is going to be between £5 - £6K : unamused:

4. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Had 3 "plain" 675 Triples, TBH unless you are a trackday demon, I dont think you are going to notice much difference..... great bikes

• Like Like x 1
  5. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I know one thing for certain. ...I'm defo going to miss the speed triple torque

6. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Once I manage to sell my R1 then fun times.....test rides just as you said ^^

Am I right in thinking that RX has the following :

Daytona seat unit
    Red wheels
    Quickshifter

Everything else is exactly the same as the R model...such seat height, ride position, suspension, brakes, geometry?

7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Sorry to burst a bubble, but I have very rarely come across anyone who has been happy buying a motorcycle with significantly less torque than one is used to. Been there, done that. As already said, extensive road testing required

8. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    #8 R_1000, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Ken

:(.....you know that saying. ....beggars can't be choosers :(. It's my damn health. Last fifteen years I have been riding nothing but litre bikes. Couple of weeks ago I took my R1 for a blast. Man...I needed 2 days to recover. Last week took my mates old banger cb500 for a run and all good ;) meaning painless. Nothing fun about it other than you are on 2 wheels.

I'm already dreading the test run and thought about what you said a million times over.

Having said the above during my time with litre bikes, I can honestly say I was no where near its limits. But every now and then I do tend to whack it open when no ones looking ;)

Not riding is not an option for me. It would eventually get to me and I'll be a miserable person to be around loved ones :eek:

And me being 5'6....yeah yeah...short arse n all. ....Thought the Street Triple would be more kind towards me :)

9. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    After having my last Triple 675 stolen, I bought a Yamaha MT09. TBH I found the bike to have a more relaxed riding position, and the power delivery better for me!
    Dont get me wrong I love the Triumph brand...... some times the alternatives are better for the individual. Try a few few before taking the leap!

• Like Like x 1
  10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello mate, I recently changed my Tiger 955i for a smaller lighter bike and I have to say that there still masses of fun to be had.

I bought a new Yamaha Tracer 700 and I find it just perfick. It's got a lower seat height, 40 kgs lighter, still got good torque and when you open her up she flies more than good enough. The lightness makes a big difference in the twisties.

I'm getting on a bit but still need to ride, so have adapted what I can enjoyably cope with and it's all good.

I think in the UK the UK the MT-07 Tracer costs about £6000 brank new, so it MIGHT tick all yer boxes ????

• Like Like x 1
  11. mark scarrott

mark scarrott Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2015
    burntwood
    Hi R1000

I have the RX version and my brother has the R.
    The rear of the RX is similar to Daytona but not the same.
    I prefer the look of the RX and if nobody is going on the back and you are not wanting to fit a rack of any sorts then I would go with the RX.
    Mine came with standard exhaust ,I am not sure if the R comes with Arrow set.
    Other than your notes they are the same.
    I love mine for handling and there is enough torque for me.

My only other comment is buy British (Thailand) :D

Mark

• Like Like x 2
  12. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Thank you all for all the advice. I have booked a 10AM test ride on a speed triple R (2015 model) tomorrow. Lets see how it pans out ;)

I will keep you all posted of the outcome. I am keeping an open mind. I am not going to get on the bike and expect arm wrenching torque but something that gives decent torque & handling to keep you happy :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Thanks Mark

What you said about the RX luggage is something I need to consider. Sometimes I do load Kriega to the seat unit and head out to Europe. So the R version might make life easier.

14. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    #14 R_1000, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Hello People

Back again. I have now sold my R1 :) And just bought myself a 2014 Street Triple R completely standard ;)

I will be uploading the pictures soon. Right now she is sitting there with most things taken off as I am doing service and adding goodies :D

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for your support :)

Especially to .....Darkman......for answering my numerous calls and for keeping me sane through the Street Triple hunt ;). Thanks a million brother :)

• Like Like x 5
  15. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I was so worried about down sizing but how wrong was I.... I must say the ride back home on Street was the most pleasurable comfortable ride I had in a while. The last time I felt this way was on my Speed Triple :). The only thing on this bike is I have to work for my power and keep playing with the gears for overtakes etc....I think. Last 15 years I have been a lazy rider on the 1000ccs...you know the power being on that tap n all.

I am overly joyed with the performance and handling of this bike. This is perfect for the style of riding I do which is always countryside twisties and sometimes to town for a coffee. And lets not forget my back....I did not feel any discomfort at all. Overall I am a very happy proud owner of Street Triple 675R ABS. Whilst I only have done a few miles on her, I am very confident I love this bike and we are going to have lots of good times together ;).

The standard can is surprisingly nice. But I do need a little of that Triple roar :rolleyes:

Just installing a SC project slip on. Next week Saturday booked in with Triumph to do ECU Tune :)

All good :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Nice one R_1000, the Street just looks like a fun bike to ride, and it sounds as if you have got the bike that is just right for you.

Would be great to see some pics, especially with the new can and if you fit a rack.

Enjoy your new bike (and will you be changing your forum name?! :))

• Like Like x 1
  17. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    ^^^Thanks buddy

Forum name...I didn't think you could change it :eek:

I will think of a name ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    you can change your name If you ask Rob nicely ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    H675 :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016