Advice Needed On Suspension

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by speeder, Jan 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I am new to the ST after years on BMW's.
    Am I alone in finding the front suspension way too hard?today l hit a series of small bumps while cornering and the bike was thrown completely off line, brown trouser moment.
    It appears the front suspension is completely over damped on compression, the forks hardly compress at when hitting bumps or pushing down on the bars.
    Is it normal to back the compression damping adjuster off from the standard setting to get round this?
    Any advice appreciated.

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Is it new or could the previous owner have adjusted it?

3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    You can do it yourself measure from a fixed point with the front wheel off the ground then let the suspension settle under its own weight then measure again the difference should be about 15mm(sag) for the compression sit on the bike and pump the forks they should return to the first position and no more change the top adjusters to eliminate any over shoot, rebound is the third and a fine art set the adjuster to the centre setting and ride the bike on your favorite road feeling what she does dial the rebound to suit your style and most used roads hth the rear can be done the same.
    hope it makes sense recalling form memory and a bit pissed at the moment:)

4. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Just loosen the compression damping and pump the forks for a base line on if it's improved. Before anything note the current settings. It's possible previous owner changed fluid or put too much in or had resprung

5. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Thank you all for the replies.
    The bike is two years old and all suspension settings are at standard.
    At the moment it feels like it has treacle in the forks rather than oil!
    It may be me being a wuss after floating along on BM's for years!
    However not only is the ride uncomfortable, it's also a bit dangerous.
    The previous owner kept it absolutely standard apart from heated grips.
    I'll have a play with the compression damping tomorrow.

6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #6 Eldon, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    How heavy are you?
    If your at the lighter end of the scale then a lighter weight fork oil say sae 5 might make it more suitable and plusher.

7. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #7 Bryan3R, Jan 29, 2019
    Sounds like you may need less preload and compression damping. I whent to comfort settings on my R, and also broke the law and wound the rear preload adjuster all the way out!

Aim for 10-15mm of static sag and 35-40 rider sag sat on bike in riding gear.
    Put a tie wrap round one of your lower fork legs and slide up to dust seal, this will show how much suspention you are using, then you will know what way to adjust your preload.
    You want to be getting full travel under braking without bottoming out. like mine below.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Bryan Haynes, on Flickr
    Check out Dave Moss Tuning and Two Clicks Out on Youtube.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Is it an R with Ohlins?

9. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    They do have harder suspention, what's your weight?
    I'm on comfort settings and I'm 12st 5lbs, but its still a bit too firm.

10. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Sag setup

• Like Like x 1
  11. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    That's interesting Bryan, looking at my forks, l don't think they have ever compressed that far....even under very hard braking and there appears to be very little sag under (my considerable) rider weight.
    Further investigation required!

12. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #12 Bryan3R, Jan 29, 2019
    It’s all fairly simple once you know where you suspention is and where you neee to be.

Had a look at one of your threads, your bike not got Ohlins on it.
    Isn’t it a 94 non R? If so it’s springs rate would be softer than the Ohlins set up.

13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hi Speeder, i'm in Bournemouth if you are passing by i am more than happy to go through suspension set up with you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Yes it's just a standard ST, l hate to think what an R is likely if the suspension is even fimer with ohlins kit!
    Was just going to have a play with the settings followed by a ride.....doubt that will happen....chucking it down with snow out now!

15. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I would check your bikes settings are at the standard settings.
    Preload. start by winding all way out anticlockwise (least preload)
    Compression and rebound damping, start but winding both all the way in clockwise (most damping)
    Then go to base settings in owners manual.

16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I have the factory settings if you want them

17. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I just reread this, and to be clear, you want a total of 35-40mm of sag. This is achieved by adding the static sag to rider sag, for a total sag number of 35-40mm. With the same sag number front and rear of course.

18. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Well had a look yesterday, the rear sag was about right but not enough on front, spring preload standard at 7 turns.
    I the backed off the compression damper from 1.5 to 2.5 turns out, big difference now, test ride an found best setting was with rebound damper screwed out by a half turn.
    Suspension now works!
    I suspect temperature is a factor here, l would not be surprised if when warmer weather comes I have to reset them to compensate for the damping oil becoming thinner.
    Thanks for all your help guys. Dragon rally next Friday, assuming l get there and back l'll post a few pics, l should ge to know the ST after a 550 mile weekend.

• Like Like x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  19. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    There are very few people get there suspention serviced, once its done about 6,000 miles the oil is no good. But reguardless you need to get your set up on warm oil not cold this time of year.
    I was fortunate that my bike has a leaky fork seal when bike shop took it in on PX, so had now seals and oil b4 I collected it, will be having shock service and possibly softer spring later this month.

20. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    yes, but you must have the static sag.

I had to add some preload my front to match the rear (wound preload rings all the way out) which is a bit too firm to balance the bike out until I get the spring swapped for a softer one.

• Useful Useful x 1