Adventurer Bobber Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Enis Tezcan, Jul 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Morning everyone,
    A couple weeks ago I got my hands on a new bike (first one actually), that I am slowly working on turning into a bobber. Biggest question I have right now, is that the rear fender I got and chopped - maybe a little too short - is no longer covering the back of the battery. In the pic, it might be harder to tell, but is there technically supposed to be some added protection behind the battery excluding it's box to keep it protected?

A94C84FF-CBE5-4796-ADCD-2031639CFCD3 (1).jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Hey all,
    Looking for a speedometer for this Adventurer. Was looking to get my hands on either an original, or an aftermarket reco. Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Hey everyone.
    So I’m still working on this and getting it ready. Almost turning over but need a few things to get it done. Curious though, what the heck is this piece? I’ve read the manual and can find anything on it.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:confused:????:confused:
    What piece?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Ha! I didn’t notice the pics didn’t stick.

A37E0C94-A885-49F7-816C-6B06A00D41D7.jpeg

6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Side stand switch , prevents you riding off with stand down , engine cuts out as soon as you let clutch out when in gear with the side stand down.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yep side stand switch :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    #8 Enis Tezcan, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Oh geez. Thank you everyone.
    I must have been overlooking that constantly.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Hey everyone! So, I am in need of some help with this project. I want to pre-face this by saying I am by no means a mechanic in any way. I am merely going off of the manual and learning as I go, which is something I wanted to do.

With that being said, I have replaced the spark plugs, drained and have added new fluids all around to the entire bike (oil, coolant, brake fluid, etc) and have removed, taken apart and cleaned the carburetor. Upon trying to start, the engine wants to turn over, but it's at that point where it wants to commit, but doesn't. To be honest, I am at a loss for what could be keeping it from turning over. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can be missing?

10. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Apparently I cannot upload videos of it trying to kick over. :(

11. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Simple things first.
    Is the bike in neutral? I cranked over my Speed Triple one time and while it would crank, it would not start. Noticed it was in gear (no neutral light). Moved to neutral and no worries.

Next look at spark and gas. Full tank? Choke On?

12. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Full tank, yup.
    Choke on, yes? I have it set kinda in mid right now but do play with it.
    In neutral, yup.
    Spark plugs, brand new.

13. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Pull a plug.
    Is it wet with fuel?
    Then place the plug on engine case (ground) and crank it. Can you see the little spark?

If it is wet with fuel, the engine is flooded, probably due to float bowl(s) stuck or something. You can try, using no choke and open the throttle a lot while cranking.

If there is no spark, then you have to look deeper into ignition system.

14. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Before I replaced the spark plugs with new ones, they were dry. I’ll check that again too now though.

15. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Hey all,
    Just asking because I found a BSA Triumph seat available. Does anyone know if this will fit on an Adventure frame with slight modifications?

16. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Assuming that you sorted the side stand switch. Does the clutch lever need to be held on an Adventurer?

17. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    It does need to be held in to my knowledge, Notso.

Does the Adventurer have a side stand switch? I've combed through the manual numerous times and haven't come across that.

18. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Not sure, I thought you came across one in the picture earlier on this thread. Just trying to think of reasons why it won't start.

19. Enis Tezcan

Enis Tezcan Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Chicago
    Oh right. That went clear over my head. I did. Too many things I am trying to go over and think of. Sorry.

That I haven't had the chance to go back to just yet. But, it's on a 2'-3' long wire/cable at this time. Is that supposed to be hooked up to anything? Sometimes reading that manual is like trying to decipher hieroglyphics.

20. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    If that's a side stand switch, and I'm not saying it isn't, it doesn't look like any one I've seen. The ones I've seen have a spring-loaded in/out switch rather than a toggle.

Anyway, I admire the fact that you are willing to take on such a project and learn by doing, Enis. Looking forward to seeing pics of you riding your project.