Sprint Adjustable / Lower Rider Footpegs For Sprint St 1050

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Jimbo1950, Apr 27, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jimbo1950

Jimbo1950 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    Hi, I have a 2010 Sprint ST 1050 which is a great bike but ideally I'd like to lower the footpegs a little to take some of the strain off my old (and creaky) knees. Has anybody found a pair of adjustable footpegs which fit the Sprint? I've found a few on e-bay but I'm rather dubious as to whether they'll actually fit my bike, so-called "universal" fitment is usually anything but!

2. GuySal

GuySal Member

Sep 15, 2021
    Derbyshire, UK
    Hi, I bought some ebay 25mm drop pegs for my 2011 speedy. When they arrived they fitted ok on the frame, but the pegs didn't lay 'flat'. Had to file a fair bit off

I used em once - they shove your foot out about 25mm too which meant twisting the feet all the time.

I ditched em and currently fabricating some steel plates to use the OE pegs

3. Jimbo1950

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    Thanks for the feedback. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I bought a pair of supposedly model-specific pegs for a Honda CBR600, I had to do a bit of filing to get them to fit properly. I spent another couple of hours yesterday searching the net, and quite by chance I found on eBay a retailer offering a pair of Shinobi adjustable pegs (they said the last pair in stock, but they always seem to say that!) which allegedly fit the Sprint 1050. Don't know how I didn't spot them before. So I've ordered them, let's see how good they are.

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #4 sprintdave, Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    I think you will find they are the same as others have bought, you have to ride pigeon toed. I kept missing the gear lever and back brake, still have em somewhere, never to return. Good luck though.

5. Jimbo1950

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    Thanks. I'll give them a go, if they help my knees then it'll be money well spent. But if they are more trouble than they're worth, I'll put them back on eBay!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I have the same adjustable ones as on eBay for my Sprint 1050 GT but I have never had anything else so I can’t compare them with the original foot pegs sadly.

I will say they are bloody sharp though! I have a tight garage space and have walked in to the foot pegs 2-3 times and cut my calf last time. :dizzy:

7. Jimbo1950

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    That's interesting - if they fit the Sprint GT OK then they should fit the ST OK, but we'll see. Thanks for the warning about their potential danger - a slashed calf must be painful so I'll be extra careful!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rob the Scott

Rob the Scott Active Member

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    I have a 2011 Sprint GT, and have been looking for options for drop pegs for a while. One forum contribution suggested that Buell pegs are close, requiring minor modification (probably and little filing). I don't know if the spring can be installed easily or not. They are available in a 25-30mm drop design. Here's a photo with the part number shown. They are a pricey! $175 or so, but they don't require the offset away from the brake or shift mechanism. Once I overcome sticker shock, I may try them.
    upload_2023-5-2_10-38-47.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rob the Scott

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    The LH peg part number is NO520-1AD

10. Jimbo1950

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jimbo1950

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    These are 40mm lower, for the Sprint ST you can also get them 25mm lower. I ordered the 40mm lower ones for my ST, then asked if I could change to 25mm lower. So they're sending me the 40mm lower ones but with alternate cranks to lower them by just 25mm. And as far as I can tell at no extra charge!

12. Rob the Scott

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    Thanks Jimbo. That style of peg lowering kit is readily available here for a modest price. The comments here suggest that these pegs push your boots out a inch or more away from the brake/shift pedals, and some folks have missed the shifter or feel like they have to twist their foot towards the bike to hit the controls. The Buell pegs eliminate that outward offset. I found them for $100 online and have ordered them for my Sprint GT. We'll see if they will fit and work.

13. Rob the Scott

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    PS. The part number that I ordered was N0006.1AD Buell Rider Drop Footpegs, XB Lightning.

14. Rob the Scott

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    For anyone interested, I received the Buell Drop Pegs. They required a fair amount of grinding to fit, as the mounting point was a bit wider than the OEM peg. I also had to modify the curve to allow the peg to retract with the spring.
    I carefully ground the drop peg to fit. The mounting was a bit thinner than the original, but there's plenty of material left, and the peg is solid.

The 1" drop is a noticeable improvement, and there's enough adjustment in the brake and shift levers to accommodate. I don't know if I could say the same for the 40mm drop pegs that I've seen as part of my search (these are about 25mm).

All good! Drop Peg1.JPG Drop Peg2.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. Geoff Butler

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Nice job, I'm tempted to do the same. Do they still pivot up on a spring?

16. Rob the Scott

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    Yup! The OEM spring fits fine, but I spent a lot of time grinding the mounting point to make it round instead of square. The drop pegs are aluminum, so they grind easily on a benchtop grinder. But I was very careful and constantly fitted them to the mounting point so I didn't have to take any more material off than I needed.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  17. Rob the Scott

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    Drop peg 3.jpg Drop Peg4.jpg Drop Peg5.jpg
    A few extra photos to show the spring installation. Note that the drop pegs were ground a bit to fit into the mounting point of the bike, but there's plenty of material and strength.
    I bought these from St. Paul Harley Davidson/Buell online for $99.95 (sold elsewhere for $140-$180).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Geoff Butler

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Nice job Sir :cool:

19. Jimbo1950

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    A happy ending! The Shinobi pegs have fitted fine and now I've fitted the 25mm lowering arms I don't find I've needed to change the position of my feet to reach the gear and back brake pedals. The only problem I had was I couldn't work out how to remove the OE pegs without disturbing the gear and back brake linkages, which I didn't want to do (I'm ham-fisted with such things!) so I got them fitted professionally when the bike was in for a change of tyres. The workshop fitted the 40mm cranks but warned me that I might find the gear and brake pedals a little too high as they had reached the safe limit of downward adjustment on both. They were right, I did find the pedals a little too high so I switched to the 25mm arms and that sorted it out.

pegs#1.jpg

pegs#2.jpg

pegs#3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rob the Scott

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    That's a common modification to lower the pegs. The reason that I chose the more-difficult job of buying the Buell pegs and grinding the mounts to fit was to avoid the outward offset resulting from the kits like the one you installed. My project was a lot more work, and a lot of trial and error, though. But there is no outward offset at all (no need to ride pigeon-toed). I hope that you adjust well to them!

And, I can confirm that 25mm is about the limit of adjustment on the brake and gear shift lever.