Featured Adios & Hola! Riding Out Of 2023 And Into 2024!

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Sandi T, Jan 3, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What better way to usher out 2023 and welcome 2024 than with friends and on motorcycles?! And with food to top it off. ;):)

IMG_8755.jpeg

Seven of us met up on New Year's Eve to say adios to 2023 and reminisce about some of our adventures from the past year. It was a chilly but beautiful day and we all agreed to ride to a restaurant we'd not been to in years--the Sky Rider Cafe which is located at the Marana Regional Airport, aka the Avra Valley Air Park. The skies were brilliantly blue and the cafe was packed!

It was a Harley heavy day and I added to it as I chose to ride my Low Rider ST -- "Johnnie". But there were two exceptions, one BMW and one Triumph in the bunch! Our newly retired friend, Alan, was on his new Tiger. He has promised to ride with us regularly now that he's officially a retiree. :)

IMG_8758.jpeg

IMG_8759.jpeg

IMG_8770.jpeg

IMG_8772.jpeg

The restaurant definitely has an aeronautical theme!

IMG_8775.jpeg

IMG_8777.jpeg

After we got situated at our table, I asked Steve to relay my breakfast order with our server because I wanted to head out back to see what was on the tarmac. It was pretty quiet but there were several nice smaller planes. The airport is quite small but from what I understand, it is also quite busy. Our friend, Ron, on the beemer, has flown out of this airport in the past and had a few good stories to share!

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 11.14.52 PM.png

The temperature had warmed up a bit from our starting temp of 40ºF which felt good. And with our Arizona sun it always feels just a bit warmer than the temperatures indicate. I did keep my heated vest on (low), though, when we continued riding after breakfast!

IMG_8767.PNG

IMG_8762.jpeg

Continued in my next post......

• Like Like x 16
  2. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #2 Sandi T, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    More planes...and a couple of emergency vehicles "just in case"

IMG_8764.jpeg

IMG_8765.jpeg

About midway through breakfast our good friend, Dena, showed up which was a delightful surprise! She used to ride like crazy but has hung up riding her own bike primarily due to hand and wrist issues. But very recently she and her husband bought a Harley Street Bob which they've set up for two-up riding and we are all extremely happy to have her back on the road with us. And she's extremely happy to be back on a bike, too! Today, however, she drove to meet us as she'd just dropped off her California family at the Tucson Airport. No, not the Marana Regional Airport.

IMG_8774.jpeg

After breakfast our group split up with three riders heading for home and four of us eager to continue on. I was one of the four. :) Steve, bless his heart, rode on home to "liberate" Ellie from her kennel. :joy::heart:

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.59.13 PM.png

Tucked back into the garage with 117 miles on the day...a wonderful way to end the year. :heart_eyes::heart:

IMG_8778.jpeg

Continued in my next post....welcoming 2024!

• Like Like x 17
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    A nice way to exit 2023 @Sandi T and looks like you had a great time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #4 Sandi T, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    As some of you know, Steve and I have a tradition of riding to either Denny's or Waffle House on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. Well, this year we broke with tradition because our good friends, Shelly & Russell, invited us to join their family for their tradition--Christmas Day brunch. Steve and I both loved being included in the brunch but we also realized later on that we missed our annual Christmas morning tradition. Steve, being the "great idea" guy that he is, suggested that we ride to Waffle House on New Year's Day to "make up" for missing in on Christmas. How could I refuse?! ;):joy:

There was another twist to our tradition in that Russell met up with us at the Waffle House. Steve and I were stunned (and aghast, honestly) to learn that he had NEVER been to a Waffle House! :eek::scream: So it was a good deal all 'round. :)

And today I chose to start off the new year's riding with my Speed Triple RS! :grinning:

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 11.49.33 PM.png

The weather was a bit warmer starting out today than yesterday but still a bit nippy for us thin-blooded Arizonans.

IMG_8785.PNG

We were happy to see that Freddy the Greeter was there to greet everyone and to keep things moving. I don't know how old Freddy is now but he's a fixture at this particular Waffle House on major holidays and is the sweetest guy ever. He actually was awarded the Walmart National Employee of the year one year! His usual greeter location is a Walmart on the south side of Tucson. The shirt he's wearing was a gift to him from the Waffle House staff! :):heart: He was very proud of it and happy to have me take a couple of photos.

IMG_8796.jpeg

IMG_8793.jpeg

Steve and I typically sit at the breakfast bar but with three of us today we opted for a table.Steve remembered to wear his Waffle House hat but I forgot doggone-it! But luckily they had paper chefs hats which worked in a pinch. :joy: We couldn't get Russell to wear one.

IMG_8792.jpeg

My breakfast--and I finished every last bite. I love their pecan waffles. And my family tradition from when I was a little kid was ham for New Year's dinner. So I had to go with the ham here, too. :yum

IMG_8788.jpeg

As usual, Russell and I wanted to keep riding. And Steve again went home to hang out with Ellie. We wound up riding to this big new outlet mall on the northwest side of town. I figured Russell wanted even more coffee and I was right. We parked and strolled in, got some coffee drinks, and did a bit of people watching. I have to say I was a bit bummed that the stores were all open but I guess that's the capitalist way. And who am I to talk--there I was, too. :joy: Interestingly, on our way back to the bikes we ran into a guy we knew from the local Harley dealership. He left for a new job about 7 or 8 months ago so it was really nice to see him and to meet his daughters.

IMG_8798.jpeg

Today's route......shorter than yesterday but still an excellent way to ring in 2024!

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 12.01.14 AM.png

Tucked back in the garage with some miles on the clock to kick off the 2024 riding season (which lasts all year in Arizona!)

IMG_8801.jpeg

Wishing a very HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you--my forum friends. May you have a blessed 2024 that's filled with family, friends, good times--and lots of riding! :):heart::kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 16
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Can't go wrong - good food and good riding. Nice to see you out and about, Sandi.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Happy new year Sandi. You are so lucky to have clear sky’s and warm weather in winter to ride.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    #7 Bikerman, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
    Hope you'll all have a great one over there. Do try to stay warm in them freezing conditions. ice_cube1_text.gif

Here in the UK I always think of our winters as an an extension of our summers. feeling-blue-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Happy new year !!
    Great way to start the year

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Sandi T:
    Happy New Year Sandi!:kissing_heart:
    Thanks for the great start in 2024! :heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Perfect start to a new year @Sandi T. I really appreciate my riding mates, so can relate to your special group :heart_eyes::party: Thanks for the write up and pix :kissing_heart:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T.
    Thought you might have invited the rest of us. You out there having a ball us here shivering. But great write up. I was getting to miss your novels.
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1