Adding Extra Length To Some Wiring - Advice Needed?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Agree solder then shrink wrap. Adding butt splices just adds another area where water could possibly accumulate and cause a high resistance joint. Verdigris will develop on the copper and eventually fracture.
    Solder and wrap;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Hmm well that’s 2 on the solder list. Perhaps I should just solder and shrink then, would be easier I guess. And with the extra length I’m adding the cabling should be safely away from any real heat.

And I’d just had everything set-up for an evening of crimping!

3. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Blank off the 02 sensors and do away with them then turn it off in Tune Ecu

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    you can buy connectors cheaply that have a clear plastic sheaf and solder built in,you just slide wires inside and heat with gun or soldering iron you seal both ends and melt solder in middle covering both wires neat and easy. s-l500 (2).jpg s-l500 (3).jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I saw these used in a video tutroial and thought they looked pretty cool! I've has a look but can't find anywhere locally that has them and I need them today really, otherwise I'd of given them a go. I might still pick some up :)

6. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    eBay is where i found them but no good if u need them asap handy to have though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    TBH, get a good mechanical joint by twisting the wires together, solder and then shrink down over the top will be far superior!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Well I've done it and all seems to work - only bloody took me an entire day of doing bits and pieces here and there as I was looking after a toddler ...

Anyway snipped the cables and labeled each one so I knew where to solder the new stuff to.

[​IMG]

Added in some length, soldered each one and heat shrinked it, then a sleeve over the whole thing. Was fairly happy with it and it turned out pretty tidy. Made 2 of these and then soldered/heat shrinked the other end back to the correct cables on the bike.

[​IMG]

Managed to route the cables back to their original positiion on the bike but was slightly dissapointed the cabling bunched up a little in one area (I'd used a little too much extra cable on one side) but overall I'd acheived what I wanted :)

[​IMG]

Few little tidying up jobs to sort out but it's mostly done. I've taken a video which is currently uploading to youtube of the bike running and I'll post once it's done. Doesn't reflect how much nicer they sound over the originals but it gives some idea :D

And here's the link to the video

Thanks for everyones help and saving me from a load of crimping!

• Like Like x 3
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    If your pleased with your work then that's all that really matters, Job well done sir :cool::cool::cool::cool:
    enjoyed the vid too :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well done, I can guess what your next question is going to be......judging by the state of your front tyre!!!!

11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    That bad? Only went through the MOT a few months ago and nothing came up as an advisory, not ridden it much since either.

Admittedly I know bugger all about these things but there's a good few mm of tread all the way around.

If you think it looks awful though I'll look for a fresh one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It looks fine in those last photos, must have been a trick of the light in that first one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Ah cool thanks, didn't fancy adding something else to the list!

14. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    Why not just to the mod to remove the O2 sensor all together? Then nothing to be concerned about.

15. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Looks good, well done!;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    To be honest I didn’t know that was a possibility before I went into this and only found out about it once I was already invested in another method. I’m happy with the result though and how it’s turned out.

17. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    They’re great looking bikes. I was split between a bonnie/scrambler/Thruxton and I’m glad I choose the one I did. In a way it choose me as I never wanted a red one. I’ve had it a year and every time I look at it I think it’s the best looking bike in the world. Well until the next one of course :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Damn you know me so well!

• Like Like x 1