Acf 50 Vs Matt Paint

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by ellerslie, Nov 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ellerslie

ellerslie Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Rickmansworth
    Hi, what are peoples thoughts?

Have a winter prep planned as I do ride on sunny winters days when you still pick up salt and grime from the road.

Have a slight concern over the ACF on the Matt paint. I'll try a tiny bit on a test area out of sight but was wondering if anyone has any experience?

Thanks

Chris

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Don't put it on painted panel surfaces.

No need to, ACF 50 is best used on bare metal, plated or even painted engine parts and frame, just in case there is a weak point in the paint, cos rust will find it. But wouldn't use it on the tank or fenders.

If you do use over winter, make sure you rinse with the hosepipe, even if it stayed dry. Salt stays on the road, gets up on the engine and frame as dust, bike gets condensation and then you get a rusty bike.

I got caught on my first bike riding it through winter. Stripped it at Easter and the starter motor was already showing signs of the evil corrosion worm under the paint.

Once I see a gritter, bike is away till spring. But I do have the KTM to play on. :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #3 MrTriple, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    What MrOrange says! Don't put it on the paintwork (not gloss, let alone a matt finish).

In addition to bare metal, painted engine parts and frame, it's great on rubber hoses and plastic parts too. Just keep it off your pegs, grips, mirrors, brake disks (and pads!)...and um...the tyres ;)

Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer is a spray sealant that is simple to apply with a microfibre cloth and will remove all streaks, finger marks and water spots, while acting as a sealant that will bead water and protect your matt paint. You only spray a small amount and it lasts ages.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chemical-Guys-Meticulous-Matte-Detailer-Spray-Sealant-16-oz-/162860201189

If you have gloss paint, I swear by Hybrid v7 instead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chemical...h=item3ad8110ca1:g:n0cAAOSwopRYgjgk:rk:2:pf:1

image.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi guys, I use to detail cars and used ceramic coatings on them. When I got the RS in Matt black I found this which I will be using. Ceramic nanotechnology coatings are the best protection for your paint. I’ll let you know how it works out. Won’t be for awhile though want warmer temperatures. http://gyeonquartz.com/product/matte/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Don't put it on your matt paint.

6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Why? It’s designed for Matt paint.

7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

He's referring to ACF50, hasn't bothered his arse to read all the posts and chucked a reply in !!! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yes I see that now, not sure why I didn’t before. Cheers.

9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    On a side note, why won’t smilyes work for me on this forum?

10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

On the banner above where you type, there is a smiley icon, click on that? Should get a drop down box !!

upload_2019-1-14_12-34-11.png

Does this work?

11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia

• Like Like x 1
  12. Notatriumphowner

Notatriumphowner New Member

Mar 4, 2022
    DK
    Just letting you guys know that you can safely put ACF 50 on any type of paint.
    It works fine on matt paint too, although there are better options.
    I'v tried putting ACF 50 on completly "naked" paint with no clearcoat, even then it does nothing to damage it, so chill. It has 0 chance at damaging clearcoat or paint.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #13 Notso, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Yep, I think it is more that it is best to use wax/ceramic on painted bits. The ACF50 or other protection tend to be sticky and collect a layer of grime quite quickly.

As a test I am trying ceramic grease on the exhaust manifold and that general area at the front of the engine (Tiger). After one ride on the dry but salted roads, followed by a lazy 'put a dry bike away' ended up with furry headers, bolts and other bits in just a couple of weeks. Managed to clean it up, but realised it was the hot bits that suffered as most protection will have been burnt or evaporated off.

• Like Like x 1