675 Abs Or No Abs

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by RAYK47, Mar 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RAYK47

RAYK47 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Herts
    Looking at street triples at the moment, in preparation for passing my test (however long that may take). However the ABS models are pretty scarce pre 2013, this led me to consider a non ABS model. Costs of a decent triple in that age is about £4.5k.

Now I get that I am a noob and my current bike does not have ABS but it is only a 125 so probably not really needed. But is it worth considering a non ABS model or should it be the first thing a noob like me looks for?

What are people's thoughts on ABS? Good bad experiences, times it saved or hindered you etc. Anything specific that is useful to know.

2. ineale

ineale New Member

Sep 19, 2018
    England
    Whether you're a noob or not, ABS in my humble opinion is well worth having. On the race track it gets in the way but on the road, when you're concentration may not be 100%, it could just be enough to save your skin.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    As an owner of 2 non ABS bikes I would say go for ABS not so much for the braking but having riden bikes with it does do a lot for your confidence, wether it makes you a lazy late braker would be another topic

4. RAYK47

RAYK47 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Herts
    Thanks all. I was always leaning towards the ABS model anyway. Just wanted opinions before deciding for definite.

Mod1 and mod2 is early April so hopefully the serious looking will start around that time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Best of luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RAYK47

RAYK47 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Herts
    Cheers crispey

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikwehttam

mikwehttam Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Los Angeles
    I agree 100% with everyone else, get the ABS. You'll hear a lot of riders tell you that you don't need it, or that it's better to go without ABS on your first bike so that you learn proper braking skills. It's all a load of BS, to put it bluntly.

ABS can and absolutely does save lives, and it's saved me from a few spills myself, both as a new rider and as the experienced rider I am now. I learned to ride on non-ABS bike, but my breaking skills became much more refined on my second bike with ABS, so that argument is a myth. You know when it kicks in, so you can learn to test the limits of your brakes without putting yourself in danger. Most modern ABS is very good, and unlike the early systems that often kicked in way too early, they're usually unintrusive unless you're truly about to lock a wheel.

The fact is, when you don't have ABS, you're usually overcompensating to avoid locking your tires, increasing your stopping distance greatly. Or worse, and quite common, something sudden and unexpected happens, and your fine motor controls go out the window causing you to desperately grab a handful of brake, locking the tire and losing all ability to stop or control the bike.

There have been a few studies done that found even the most experienced riders could stop faster with an ABS bike than on a non ABS bike, especially in poor road conditions, like rain. ABS is standard by law in many countries around the world, it's standard in almost all cars, and the people telling you not to get it are usually riders who want to justify why they didn't spend the money to get it themselves haha

8. RAYK47

RAYK47 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Herts
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I will look for the models with ABS. £4.5-5k will do it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RAYK47

RAYK47 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Herts
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I will look for the models with ABS. £4.5-5k will do it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Been riding for longer than I remember; never thought about ABS until after I was cut up by a car on a roundabout
    little time to react/brake next thing I am on the ground sliding!!

Still not sure what happened but I must have overcooked the brakes and still think ABS would have helped avoid it. Next bike had ABS and helped the confidence immensely.
    But I now have a 2007 Speedmaster which don't have ABS but it don't accelerate like sport bike either!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. RAYK47

RAYK47 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Herts
    Just one more thing.

When I filter for ABS on mcn or autotrader I get very few results. Is there any rule on age/model where ABS will be standard that may be left off the ad?

I thought someone mentioned that bikes after a certain age had to have ABS. Just feel I am probably missing some ABS models just because the ad does not mention it.

12. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Just look for a ABS reluctor ring on front wheel, most bikes ABS was an option until 2016 when it was made mandatory.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Good luck .

14. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I wonder if it can be retrofitted? If so could be worth getting quotes and using in bargaining...

15. RAYK47

RAYK47 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Herts
    Thanks wishbone will try. but anything 2016 onwards will have ABS as standard?

16. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    yep that's what I said(mandatory) ;)

17. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    All I can add is that I’ve found after 53 years of riding ABS is well worth having.

If you’ve got it on the bike then great but if you’ve not got it and you need it then it’s tough titty :sob:

If it saves your skin it’s well worth having.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Agreed! if your a learner and want to truly enjoy your hobby and actually learn the proper way to control your bike non ABS all the way...i have no doubts that its a valid safety assist in the right situation...however you dont learn how braking should be done and IMO you will miss out on several control factors,

But i guess its down to what you actually want to get out of biking if its purely pleasure or just commuting....IMO you will be a safer rider if you haven't learned to depend on a braking system that thinks for you.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Learning on a non ABS bike to " learn the proper way to control it" is nonsense!!

Most owners with bikes with ABS have never even felt it come on! it is insurance and even more so for learners who "panic" and overcook it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I can't argue with your 3 types of off but particularly for someone at the start of the experience ladder, it must help them particularly in damp road conditions and where braking happens late due to range of things.

We were all immortal in our youth back in the day, but maybe some more youths will get the chance to live longer thanks to ABS, that's why it was made mandatory like it or lump it?

I remember when ABS was optional and only fitted to luxury cars, now it is ABS,ESP/Traction, lane control etc and that is on budget cars now?

I think 10 years from now it will become accepted and possibly even liked on Bikes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    A few months ago I was in the exact same situation, looking for my first big bike after owning a 125cc with ABS.

My instructor had one bike with ABS and one without, so I’ve had a play with both, doing emergency stops in the dry/wet etc.

I’d say if your budget allows for it then why not.

I decided that I would prefer a bike with ABS, but wouldn’t let that be a deciding factor if I came across a good deal.

Ended up with a 2011 Street Triple R, non ABS, saved some cash and I’m happy.

Just my 2p.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    After I panicked, grabbed a fistful and slid down the road I made sure the next bike had ABS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1