A Walk Around The Village And A Bit Of History

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by steve lovatt, Apr 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I live in a village called South Wonston, which adjoins an old airfield and army camp. So I've been doing a bit of walking as part of my allocated daily exercise, together with a bit of research. :D

The camp is now Worthy Down Barracks, headquarters of the Royal Logistics Corps and Adjutant General's Corps and part of the Winchester Garrison. This was originally the site of Winchester Racecourse from 1664 to its closure in 1887. The War Office took the land over and established a Wireless and Observers School there in 1917 and in 1918 an airfield was built for the Royal Flying Corps.

The airfield in the 1920's
    wdnair.jpg
    af.jpg

Part of the old airfield today looking west towards the A34.

No. 58 Squadron were the first to use the airfield from 1924 flying Vickers Vimy and Virginia heavy bombers from there. In 1925 the squadron was commanded by Arthur "Bomber" Harris before moving to RAF Upper Heyford in 1936.

The RAF handed over to the Navy in 1939 and the base became HMS Kestrel, whilst Supermarine used the airfield in the development of the Spitfire from December 1940 to March 1944.

Not a Dutch barn but one of the only surviving hangers.
    h.jpg
    It used to house a Fairey Swordfish with wings folded up.

AJ0314-adj.jpg

The old torpedo fusing shed - the inner brick building is the original with later concrete blast walls thoughtfully added!

ts.jpg

Still plenty of pill boxes around the perimeter.
    pb.jpg pb2.jpg pb3.jpg
    The old platform from the disused railway.
    p.jpg p2.jpg

Finally found this:

"Laurence Olivier and Ralph Richardson may have already become great actors but unfortunately the same could not be said of their piloting abilities while at Worthy Down during World War Two. Both men wrecked or badly damaged quite a number of aircraft and the Fleet Air Arm eventually released them in 1944 so that they could form the Old Vic Theatre Company."

• Like Like x 26
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Great read @steve lovatt (Steve), really enjoyed it. I did some work for the army at Worthy Down when I was Working. I will tell you the story at the GMU.....

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    A blast from the past for me there. My father was a career soldier, reaching the rank of captain before his death in 1965. After a brief posting to Singapore in 1956, we returned to Uk in 1960. Dad would commute to Winchester from our house in Barton Stacey, just up the road from South Wonston. My little brother was born there and we lived there until 1961, when we all went back to Singapore again!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Nice one steve, love it ...(lovatt)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Glad you found it interesting - I knew the airfield was there but it was fun doing the research. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    You know me and ww2 stuff, very interesting

• Like Like x 1
  7. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I love all this sort of stuff.

Well done

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    That was a really great read and must have been interesting doing the research.

I do hope that the old buildings there get preserved - the corner brickwork on the pill boxes alone is worth saving! - and that the area isn't sold to some property developer (like, e.g., John Bloor!) who will rase the whole area to build a thousand new homes!

Nice bit of history. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I’ve played rugby there in the distant past but a mere 20 years ago lived outside Andover and was a regular in that neck of the woods and at the Muddy Duck (Black Swan now closed?) in Monxton. Good roads but too much traffic....... usually.

• Like Like x 2
  10. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah, the pub closed in 2016 sadly. A planning application was submitted in June last year to convert the pub to a dwelling and build two further houses and a new pub in the old car park.
    Locals not impressed apparently so don't hold your breath!

11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Definitely too much traffic (not at the moment though!) :joy::joy:

12. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    I am amazed it hasn’t been developed yet. That is a lovely and expensive part of the country . Thanks for the quick history lesson . Nice to see the post and for me to the have time to read it !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Had a few good nights in the Mucky Duck ;);)

14. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    I am amazed it hasn’t been developed yet. That is a lovely and expensive part of the country . Thanks for the quick history lesson . Nice to see the post and for me to the have time to read it !

15. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    A lot of history there thanks for sharing it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    There are apparently 21 pill boxes around the perimeter of the old airfield. I will have to go looking for more over the weekend! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Just read this to Lady Poppy. Believe it or not her aunt, uncle and one of her cousins live in South Wonston and I've been there several times, including a family party at the village hall there. Small world.

• Like Like x 2
  18. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes, South Wonston is a very small world! :):)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Interesting stuff and nice pics Steve i enjoy a bit of history story, hopefully not steeling the thread i wish i had gotten some more info and story's about my dad before he died...i was only 19 and like most old soldiers he never really talked about his time in the army i only got snippets from my mum.

Apparently he ran off to join the army as an under age boy back in the first war and ended up in the tank core for a while and then Cavalry i know this because he still had all his military riding gear, i also know that during the first and second wars he and his brother rode at Brook lands both in races and developmental testing for one of the motorcycle brands but cant remember which.
    He then when back into the army for the second war and was in the engineering core and had risen to the rank of Captain and was stationed all over the place i was told that he built the dock cranes in Colombo harbor in Ceylon ( now Sri Lanka) and that he was awarded the title of Captain for the rest of his life....but never used it dont know what for and i have tried finding info on line but have turned up nothing....he sounded quite a guy but i only knew the rather self obsessed grumpy workaholic ...shame.

• Like Like x 5
  20. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Very interesting Steve,it's amazing how much old wartime stuff is still laying about, l was wondering around the old holmsley airfield yesterday, one of quite a few new forest wartime airfields.
    They took most of
    the runway up years ago and an old girl was telling me that it used to be very popular with people learning to drive!
    Another guy said they used it for speed trials on their bikes, one bike at each end and then pass each other in the middle at a closing speed of 200 mph!
    "Elf n safety " would have a fit if it was still going on now.

• Like Like x 2